• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes good idea to place scope as close as possible to barrel?

kip.duff

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2014
Costa Mesa CA
Hi:

Will be able to pick up my new Sig Saur SSG3000 Patrol on April 4! Think I'm gonna put SWFA SS20 X 40 Tactical MRAD scope on it with their rings. Three height choices: 6, 12, and 19mm top of rail to bottom of tube distance. My guess- and my current plan is to get the scope close to the barrel, so I was gonna order the short rings- Im pretty sure there's enough clearance (OD of front of scope radially 10mm lower than tube- I think will be about 7mm clearance- will check rail-to-barrel distance at store today- 13mm?). Is this the right approach?

Based on my reading from internet, think I'll be pretty happy with this gun. Want to put CustomMuzzleBrakes TriDelta in place of the current flash supressor. Not wild about the stock- prefer the earlier version or Saur STR stocks- but seems no replacement is available (other than $900 McMillan)- would probably be big bucks anyway. As others have said, availability of accessories hopefully will increase.

Gun will be used for daylight target shooting (100 to 300 yards- maybe more) out in the California desert. Any setup advice appreciated- thanks to the forum in advance.................

Yes. but not touching. Should have a comfortable cheek weld and work for YOU. Good scope but fixed 20 is a bit much. I would think a 10 or 12x would suit you better.

A comfortable and natural cheek weld is key here. I had to get higher rings for one rifle after I found out the scope was too low to acquire a natural cheek weld with the lower rings.

A comfortable and natural cheek weld is key here. I had to get higher rings for one rifle after I found out the scope was too low to acquire a natural cheek weld with the lower rings.

Very true....I prefer low as possible......but that is just me, it should suit YOU and not interweb opinions.

OK:

12X it is. I'll go with the low rings and see how it goes. Rail seems pretty high- should work. Just ordered the stuff. Thanks..........

I am on the flip side when it comes to magnification. "daylight target shooting" I would want more magnification. Not saying you need it.
I usually use my scopes magnification! Range irrelevant.
Groups and load development close in at 100-400 yards=24x, Hunting at distance=24x, learning to control my movement during the execution of a precise shot=24x!!! Rockchucks and similar target practice at random distances=24X
Have shot very long range with a 4x and have several 10x but all my favorite rifle and favorite optics sport more magnification.
Rapid point blank target acquisition is the ONLY daylight advantage to lower powered optics and not likely to be needed or utilized for "daylight target shooting 100-300 maybe more".............just my opinion.

You should throw the rifle up to your shoulder, get a cheek-weld with a closed eye, then open your eye and have the scope centered. Whatever ring, stock, scope (face) combination works this way for you is correct. Too hard to just say to "use this ring for this scope" as there are more variables than just the scope & rings.

If it is on a rail. Even low rings leave plenty of room. Lower power scopes, like 10x have a wider field of view. They are better on moving targets and quicker acquisitions. Like some have said. 10x will take you to 1k easy. SWFA is a perfect first scope. Tough as nails and no BS warranty.