• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good load for 5r milspec .223

Big Cal

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Hi everyone I was just wondering if anyone has a good load for a 5r in .223 rem. it seems to be pretty fussy on ammo so just thought I would ask the question. Has grouped .3" then 1.5" with the same type of factory ammo but from different batches

Re: Good load for 5r milspec .223

If you handload you might try 69 grn SMK, 25.6 grn Varget, WW brass, and Rem 7 1/2 primers. Works for me, consistanly sub MOA in a 1:9 twist barrel.

If you do not reload then Federal GMM would be a very good choice. Remington rifles usually have a pretty long lead so it is not easy getting close to the lands.

Good luck and keep us posted.

OFG

Tried the 69gn Smk's wit adi 2206h and bm2 they weren't too impressive. About 1-1.5 moa never tried 2208 which is the same as varget. Best result so far was with 55gn Hornady vmax's which are generally fat for caliber so I was going to do some load devalopment with them but was thinking the heavier amax's to better suit the 1:9" twist was even thinking the 75gn amax's has anyone tried the Hornady stuff

H322 with 22.9 grains and WOLF PRIMERS. This load has shot sub MOA in 7 different AR's and shoots .5 inch out of my 5R.

Other primers, it's an OK round. Need wolf.

max load of 8208 ( 23.8 ) works really well in my 5R with a 69gn NCC.so fare I have only used Lapup brass and cci mag primers.so I haven't a clue to other brands of brass.I do know it shoot 1/2 MOA at 300 yards with ten shots.and yes,they are in the lands.