• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Good lube for cold weather?

hypno02

Not Politically Correct
Banned !
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2006
South Dakota
Need some good cold weather lube for my 700, browning buckmark, and ruger 10/22. The autos don't like to work so well when it's 20 below out...

Thanks

Re: Good lube for cold weather?

Don't laugh, but a #2 pencil worked perfect on a M14e2 at -38*,... she never missed a beat.

I know that i'll catch shit for this, but up here when i fur hunt with M4, I run Bare. Dry as i can get it. I have found I have more problems when i have a coat of lube on it vs clean and dry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UKDslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Miltec. </div></div>
If that doesn't work try Militec!
grin.gif

For cold weather, you need something that warms...

ky-warming-jelly.jpg

(militec is unbeatable)

Dry.....or Imperial sizing die wax isnt too bad....not near as sticky as dry-on Teflon....that shit turns like molasses...

Militec and Molly Lube both will have stoppages at -25 and Below, I know that for a Fact! I have missed Wolfs last year becouse of it

Alaskaman, have you tried a good zero weight synthetic motor oil? I was thinking Amsoil 0w30 (pour point -40) but we don't even get close to those kind of low temps so I'm hardly an expert.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Militec, FP-10, and Otis Dry Lube.
I used MIlitec in A-Stan during the cold winter nights, and it along with the Otis never failed </div></div>

I have used the Otis as well and it works great !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UKDslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Miltec. </div></div>

+1

I was wondering if someone was gonna say something about the Otis. Id never used it and was curious...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For cold weather, you need something that warms...

ky-warming-jelly.jpg
</div></div>

Shut up Wil

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arcangel8654</div><div class="ubbcode-body">9 parts Synthetic ATF ( preferably ester based) and 1 part kroil.
</div></div>
Do you run that on anything or just Bolt rifles?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arcangel8654</div><div class="ubbcode-body">on everything but works especially well on machineguns.
</div></div>
I am gonna try it on a M4. What's the function of Kroil; penetrant?

penetrant..corrosion protection.breaks up carbon nicely. smells good too.
make sure you shake it.

Thanks, definitely gonna try it! I've tried just about anything. Militec,Breakfree CLP,LP, and even teflon from Dupont mixed w/ you name it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Need some good cold weather lube for my 700, browning buckmark, and ruger 10/22. The autos don't like to work so well when it's 20 below out...

Thanks </div></div>

I currently use Shooters Choice and have used Breakfree to -35F on my XDs, 10/22 and Nylon 66. I have no problems with my XDs, never ever at this temp. 10/22 has issues but geez its from 1966 when it cost $30 and has issues when its +60F along with Nylon 66 that works better both hot and cold.

1911 will stop up cold, Sig 220 too at these temps.

My 700 never had a single issue at -35F with Shooters Choice grease on the lugs but fear the firing pin will break and of course my sight icing up to uselessness and RB trigger breaking inconsistent.

All firearms laying around for up to 2 hours, about all I can stand at these temps and made a pact with myself, zero is my limit now, too old as my bones and joints do not like to be out there anymore. December, I had to hot shower it when I got home just to be able to finish the day without stiffness and soreness.

Trappers use ballistol on their M2 shot guns out of the plains at below zero temps and don't have any problems. You can find it in Midway.
Best of luck,

I know that TetraGun lube (white grease) <span style="text-decoration: underline">does not work</span>. I had some left on the rails of my STI and on a cold morning I could watch the slide close. IIRC it was around 30 degrees that morning. Went to a safe area and cleaned it off with some CLP and it ran like a top.

Edit to add: On my M1A it's never been a problem but there are only a couple spots that require the grease. Someone might chime in but I figured it was also due to the heat generated compared to the pistol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arcangel8654</div><div class="ubbcode-body">penetrant..corrosion protection.breaks up carbon nicely. smells good too.
make sure you shake it. </div></div>

And it's fumes are as healthy for you as diesel exhaust right off the pipe. But it is good for various purposes on firearms.

Not nearly as toxic as MEK, then again that stuff will cause cancer in robots.

Can't speak for kroil or the combination of....but Amsoil states no harmfull vapors!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maple One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 Dry graphite powder. </div></div>

+2 for graphite. make sure that all oil and grease is completly removed first.

At -25 to -35 degrees below if your firearm is not clear of any grease you can have problems. Even in a bolt action.

We always used high speed bearing grease on our m4's. Works like a charm and eats up carbon. That was n 10 below though not 20.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casca6actual</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We always used high speed bearing grease on our m4's. Works like a charm and eats up carbon. That was n 10 below though not 20. </div></div>
10 or 20 above I can't imagine using grease.

<span style="font-size: 26pt"><span style="color: #FF0000">KY WARMING LIQUID</span></span>

Makes it Warm and Slippery....