• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good manual powder dispenser

VandelayIndustries

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2022
Ask
For powders like H4350/ Varget.
Surprisingly I’ve read good things about Lee deluxe perfect powder measurer for powders like 4350. Anyone tried one or had good luck with something else?

The Lee Perfect PM is so inexpensive, you have nothing to loose giving it a try.
Many of us who have several others, all of which cost factors more, you will find the Lee is as good or much better than most.

Many years ago I did extensive testing of several manual powder dispensers, including a Harrell's BR unit. Multiple powder types (ball, stick, flake, etc.) were tested and throws measured with a lab electronic balance. I was quite surprised at the results as the hands-down, across the board winner was the red Hornady unit. Nothing special about it, no idea why this unit was superior. I sold my Harrell's BR measure.

I will say that my Chargemaster 1500, with modified programming to slow it down (NOT speed it up as most guys do) and restrictions on both the intake and output orifices, measures VERY precisely, far better than any manual unit. (Again, checked with literally thousands of throws.)

Many years ago I did extensive testing of several manual powder dispensers, including a Harrell's BR unit. Multiple powder types (ball, stick, flake, etc.) were tested and throws measured with a lab electronic balance. I was quite surprised at the results as the hands-down, across the board winner was the red Hornady unit. Nothing special about it, no idea why this unit was superior. I sold my Harrell's BR measure.

I will say that my Chargemaster 1500, with modified programming to slow it down (NOT speed it up as most guys do) and restrictions on both the intake and output orifices, measures VERY precisely, far better than any manual unit. (Again, checked with literally thousands of throws.)
Just curious... was the Lee Perfect Powder Measure among the several?

I only ask because it was dismissed on sight when mentioned in many circles, but ended up their polymer wiper design was a big departure from the others and apparently makes a performance difference.

I fully expected to see many polymer-wiper copy-cats after word spread, but to my surprise that didn't happen. One of the only other examples of a powder measure with a polymer wiper happens to be the one built into a AutoTrickler V3, and BTW it also does above average in terms of thrown charges.

No. No plastic measures were tested (this was years(decades?) ago). I did do a recent test of an AutoTrickler - not sure which model as the sample throws were sent to me. The results were interesting: 1) throws COULD BE highly precise, but were maximally precise only when the mode which disables the drift attenuation was turned off and the scale zeroed for each throw, and 2) in this mode it was slightly more precise than my modified Chargemaster 1500. The AutoTrickler seemed to be a very nice unit, albeit pricey.

Reactions: RegionRat
I've used the same Lee PPM for almost 20 years. For extruded powder, it works well. I just purchased a new Redding BR powder measure thinking I was getting something better. I can't tell that it's any better for extruded powder.

Where the Lee sucks is with using ball powder. It leaks. No good for ball powder.

Reactions: RegionRat
@Ledzep

I use an RCBS thrower and a charge master. I have not tried my Lee PPM, it came with the first reloading kit I bought so i wouldn't have to go to my parents to reload.

I never use it because yuck plastic... 🤣 🤣

I bought my charge master used. I don't know the programming but I haven't messed with it. Its kind of slow, but it always hits its target according to the chargemster scale that i never double check. It also has the reducing insert on the output. Before I got that it would over throw, when it got to close to charge weight, as a big wall of powder got to the end of the tube and it spilled 10 kernels instead of a couple.

Been using the old RCBS powder throw for decades. Works ok with stick type powders. Takes a few minutes to get it accurate with ball powders, but once there it throws accurate charge after accurate charge.

However as the level of powder changes, the charge weight will change. Keep it similarly filled and it will stay good. Note, using this powder throw, I weigh each charge.

Advantages,
its quick,
it not terribly expensive,
weather/proximity to electrical appliances do not affect it.

Cons,
with powder level changes, the charge will change, though modestly, its still a change,
every now and then, it throws a very weak charge,
Takes time to get it throwing the correct charge
Even throwing light charges, it still needs to be checked by a scale every 5 to 10 rounds.

I’ve used electronic throws, tricklers. Not sure which I prefer, but both take roughly the same amount of time to use.

For a solid all-around volumetric powder measure, the Lyman Brass Smith is great, ~$60, and stacks up as good or better than the ~$200+ Redding ones.

That said, for H4350/Varget the Lee PPM does have the reputation of being the best for those with its plastic wiper thingy, for ~$20 it's worth a try.

I've used the same Lee PPM for almost 20 years. For extruded powder, it works well. I just purchased a new Redding BR powder measure thinking I was getting something better. I can't tell that it's any better for extruded powder.

Where the Lee sucks is with using ball powder. It leaks. No good for ball powder.
Agree. All of these PMs leak the fine grained ball powders unless you put some work into them.
Even then, they are never perfect but based on throwing Prairie Dog loads by the thousands, I will have to say they are "good enough". YMMV