• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good morning Hide.

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    No big announcements, the sky hasnt fallen, just finally got a good nights sleep and feel good this am. Thought Id share the feeling. Hope ya'll have a great day.

Maggot out.

Good sleep is always a plus, makes everything seem better in the world.
    At least till you run into the first idiot of the day.

Reactions: Maggot
    My name is PB and I am a recovering sugar junkie

IMG_20171006_165953-X2.jpg

IMG_20171129_144949-X2.jpg

It wasn't that bad when I did it, the 3 days I tried to go back to work were miserable though. My work mainly consists of climbing ladders, not an awesome thing to do with a broken fibula...

Hi, I am Mike, an ASSHOLE, opinionated Prick of the 1st. degree who has not slept well since 5 June 69, always on edge and always on guard.
    I speak in a direct language the everybody can understand, such as Fuck You you waste of air, Get your head out of your Ass, Go Fuck somebody else up before I rip off your head and shit down your neck.
    And, everyone in my AO knows me as Foul Mike, and I ain't changing anything anytime soon.
    My Squaw and children and anyone I am around know not to mess with me when I have a Case of the ASS.
    How could Life get much better? FM

Reactions: Strykervet
    Hi, I am Mike, an ASSHOLE, opinionated Prick of the 1st. degree who has not slept well since 5 June 69, always on edge and always on guard.
    I speak in a direct language the everybody can understand, such as Fuck You you waste of air, Get your head out of your Ass, Go Fuck somebody else up before I rip off your head and shit down your neck.
    And, everyone in my AO knows me as Foul Mike, and I ain't changing anything anytime soon.
    My Squaw and children and anyone I am around know not to mess with me when I have a Case of the ASS.

AND, that's when hes in a GOOD mood.. ?????

I feel ya, FM, the only way I get a nights sleep about once every month or so is a (Dr. prescribed) pain pill and a muscle relaxer. Last night it took 2.

I've had chronic insomnia so long that going 48 or 72 hours is just the norm. Anymore than that and I start "going crazy" --it's like being extremely thirsty, only for sleep. So when you get sleep, it means a lot.

Ever since firing that damn .50 with a brake the other weekend ago, I've still got exacerbated tinnitus. I got it from blowing shit up, only now it's worse than it's ever been and ain't letting up! That shit only makes it harder to fall asleep. I hope it goes back to "normal".

I’d tell you about my life, but you wouldn’t give a shit. Now if only I could have a shit...

Good going Maggot

I've had chronic insomnia so long that going 48 or 72 hours is just the norm. Anymore than that and I start "going crazy" --it's like being extremely thirsty, only for sleep. So when you get sleep, it means a lot.

Ever since firing that damn .50 with a brake the other weekend ago, I've still got exacerbated tinnitus. I got it from blowing shit up, only now it's worse than it's ever been and ain't letting up! That shit only makes it harder to fall asleep. I hope it goes back to "normal".
    Hope so for you too man. Mines been ringing for 3 years now. Sucks for sure!

I've had chronic insomnia so long that going 48 or 72 hours is just the norm. Anymore than that and I start "going crazy".

That stuff can get really dangerous, I've seen first hand how going too long without sleep can cause people to start to have issues with reality. It's pretty well proven that you can near drive anyone insane with lack of sleep.

Reactions: Foul Mike
    3 years isn't too much. Mine have been screaming at me for just less than 50 years.
    Don't get too close to concussion grenades and satchel charges and live in an era that Ear-Pro is available that you use and things will work out if you use them.
    Once you have tinintus, it never goes away as far as I know, but they have made inroads as far as hearing aids that cancel some of it out.
    And, you are right, it Sucks.
    Buy the best Ear-Pro you can get, and use it. It is cheap compared to hearing this screaming in your ears all of the time but you do get used to it, somewhat.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Snipe260
    Had tinnitus for a long time.
    It's like living with a big batch of cicadas in my head.
    Rebecca always knows when it kicks up a couple of notches. She'll ask if it's bothering me and I have to think about it. Says she can always tell because I talk much louder.

3 years isn't too much. Mine have been screaming at me for just less than 50 years.
    Don't get too close to concussion grenades and satchel charges and live in an era that Ear-Pro is available that you use and things will work out if you use them.
    Once you have tinintus, it never goes away as far as I know, but they have made inroads as far as hearing aids that cancel some of it out.
    Buy the best Ear-Pro you can get, and use it. It is cheap compared to hearing this screaming in your ears all of the time but you do get used to it, somewhat.[/QUO
    WHATTUDYOUSAY??????

Buy the best Ear-Pro you can get, and use it. It is cheap compared to hearing this screaming in your ears all of the time but you do get used to it, somewhat.

Thanks, Mike. the 50 cal got me. Ill look into an Ear-pro.

Red letter day yesterday in Tucson.

My vision's been going downhill for two years, I got the nod for VA Cataract surgery yesterday. The festivities start the end of October with Pre-op preparations; surgery, one eye at a time, starting within a week or two after.

The day before, I'd gone shooting (like for the last time pre-op); to sorta get a benchmark for later comparison post-op.

I started out with the Garand. I couldn't even see the 100yd 6" target I had shot a hair over 1moa on the month before. Unloaded and stowed it on the spot. Cataracts can ramp up and blind you just that quick. Right now, it's like looking through smoke; even street names are too mussed up to read. Not fun.

Next, the near virgin Savage 11VT 308. 168SMK (44.5gr IMR-4064) and 178 ELD-X (42.2gr IMR-4064) loads did pretty nicely at a bit under 1MOA. I could stand on that, or try drawing another card or two load development-wise. High point of the day.

The 260, well, the 95V-max was not quite in there, doing about 1.5MOA. will redevelop further. The load's 41.0 of IMR-4064. I figure I can go 1gr more, and still have a margin, primers look mild-to-median.

The 143 ELD-X 43.5gr H-4350 load was disaster.

First shot, a bit right, the primer looked mild. By the third round the primer blew. Hmm, looked at the second case, the primer had been smeared wide enough to look like a road killed mushroom. Pure stupidity on my part for skipping over examining it before trying the third shot. I had gotten that load off someone on the 'Hide. I will never trust anecdotal loads again. The rifle looks unaffected, but I'll be going over it in detail later today.

Curious, I looked up the Hodgdon site again; sho' 'nuff, 42.9 listed max. Last time I had checked the site, the 143 wasn't even listed yet. I will redevelop starting with 42.0. My 142SMK load is 43.8; what I surmise is that the 143's bearing surface is huge by comparison. The heat was getting up there, well over 80 by then.

By Noon it was 91 degrees and we were getting heat stroked. I'm going on shooting hiatus until after the ops and recoveries...

We were the only two civvies there, got to see (actually, just hear...) the ICE and CBP guys run hostage scenarios, and some chat time with some TSU Snipers for a local prison doing biweekly training on our side (300m) of the parallel berm with 700P's and 168 FGMM.

Not thrilling my prospects, but the fix is in, and odds greatly favor significant improvement.

Greg

^^^Have no fear of the cataract surgery, but do your research and get a surgeon who SPECIALIZES in that. I couldnt even read the huge green interstate signs, should not have been driving at all. Its spooky to think of someone poking a hole in your eye, but I went from 20/90 in each eye to 15/20 and 18/20. In at 1:00 pm out by 5.

They should give you options of having close or far lenses put in. I went with far (because of the long range shooting) and can see great at distance, but the surgeon did such a great job I can read a newspaper w/o reading glasses in a bright light.

No fear, my Wife had hers done years ago.

Since this is the VA, I don't get to pick and choose, and I'm told by Vet friends that these operations are performed by VA residents under experienced supervision. All but one Vet related excellent results. The one who had it done latest said he was still waiting for them to get underway when they told him it was all done.

From what I'm being told, it will be done with distance lenses and reading glasses will be supplied.

I expect good results, little if any discomfort, etc., and the whole thing ending up being a speed bump in the rear view.

Greg

Greg, you're going to come out of this hollerin' that famous quote to anyone and everyone who'll listen. The one that went like this, some time ago:

See at last,
    See at last,
    Thank God All-Mighty, I can
    See at Last!

Enjoy.

Following up on the pressure excursion/blown primer event, I put several fired cases (from another, milder load) through the case gauge, and they are short, enough so that they just make it to the minimum length.

This tells me that my barrel is headspaced short, which would seem to indicate that not only was my charge excessive, but my effective chamber volume was even smaller than spec. I don't even want to think about how much pressure I was running.

I immediately disassembled every one of the remaining loads.

I also carefully examined the bolt and and the ejector and extractor are still functional. Running a pinky through the chamber area (as far as I could reach), I could not feel anything weird.

I will need to readjust headspace, and I will be buying headspace go/nogo gauges for that task, so I get it right this time.

I will be considering redeveloping the load, with 42.0gr of H-4350 as an arbitrary max load; and am leaning heavily toward not using H-4350 at all, and doing the rework with H-4831. With the 28" bore, and some experience with 140SMK's and H-4831 back around 2001, I think that's a safer, and possibly more productive, route.

Doing some net research, and looking back at recent events, I'm beginning to think the 143 ELD-X may be generating pressures like a far heavier bullet, possibly due to a significantly longer bearing length. This, especially so, since Hodgdon lists the H-4350 max for the 143 as a full 1.6gr less than the 142. I need to work up slowly and more carefully the second time.

Info Request:

So, will a set of 308 headspace gauges do the job for the 260 Rem SAAMI Chamber? I expect they will but I'd like some confirming assent.

Info Request: ^^^^

Thanks in advance,

Greg

Last edited:
    All you really need is a 308 go gauge and a piece of scotch tape. The scotch tape on the face of the go gauge converts it to a no go gauge, 308 gauge works for all 308 based chamberings. 243, 7-08 338 Federal, 358 Win etc.

All you really need is a 308 go gauge and a piece of scotch tape. The scotch tape on the face of the go gauge converts it to a no go gauge, 308 gauge works for all 308 based chamberings. 243, 7-08 338 Federal, 358 Win etc.
    This ^^^.
    243, 308, 260, 22-250, 7-08 ect.
    Some scotch tape is .0015 thick fyi.

R

Much thanks. The PTG 308 Go Gauge is on order.

In the meantime, I found another box of 50 of the unsafe loads and tore them down too.

Then, I took one of the overpressure rounds which were the only ones I had that would indicate as longer than max in the 308 case gauge, and used the .308 F/L die to bump one down in length to exactly the max permitted length. I used this case as a temporary Headspace Gauge in order to establish a more reasonable headspace on the L-W barrel.

I then reassembled 40 of the disassembled rounds to a new lower spec, 20 each of 42.0gr and 41.6gr, and extended the OAL so the cartridges headspace on the ogive. This should fireform the cases to the new headspace spec.

All further efforts, including firing any of the new loads, are on hold pending delivery of the Go Gauge and verification that the barrel's new headspace is on spec. I know this is getting a bit ahead of myself, but I have faith in my efforts so far and will not do anything more without headspace verification.

Greg

Last edited:
    The gauge came in Wednesday and the headspace was backed off and reset according to the gauge.

Done, period.

Greg