• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Good mount for AR10 for 1,000 yrds

BeltfedMG

Private
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2006
BLAND MO
Just got a DPMS 308 and need a good mount to put the night force on, whats a good 1 peice 20MOA mount to put on these? The dealer down the rd has a Armalite for $139, is it any good and worth it do i need better? I need something that wont let the scope run out of elevation at 1,000 yrds.
Thanks

Re: Good mount for AR10 for 1,000 yrds

Any 308 is marginal past 800. A gas gun is not quite as accurate as a good bolt gun (I own 3 DPMS LRs). I would call Brownells tech staff and describe what you are trying to do. I'm sure they will steer you right.

You'll have to chrono your loads to see what velocities you see with your LR-308. I'd highly suggest shooting Lapua 155gr Scenars for maximum velocities with a high BC. Once you get your velocities, you can see what sort of drop you'll see with the load from a ballistics tool (see JBM here).

With that info, you can figure out your total elevation available for your scope. With that (which brings me to answering your original question) you can look into the Desert Tactical one piece mounts. They have one piece mounts for 30mm, 34mm, and 35mm with tapers from 20, 35, and 40 MOA. With this setup, assuming you can get your bullet out to distance supersonically, you should be able to have enough elevation to get to 1K.

Your local dealer is kinda high for the Armalite mount. Should be closer to $90.00 retail even less off the net. I have this mount on all my AR type rifles. It gets me to 1000 with 175 SMK's @ 2750 using a USO SN-3.

You might consider the Unimount by Night Force. It is a solid one piece mount with 20MOA and works great on AR platforms.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadJamesR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might consider the Unimount by Night Force. It is a solid one piece mount with 20MOA and works great on AR platforms. </div></div>

+1

Might also get out your trusty scope collimator and see if you even need a sloped base. Badger Ord does make one, btw. I use a 4.5-14x Leupold 50mm on my 10T and don't need a riser or a sloped base. The scope has 100moa of vertical adjustment which is plenty.

Unless you have a 27" or longer barrel with a 17" located gas hole, and shoot 175smk bullets; you likely won't get much consistency/accuracy way out there. If you really are hot to shoot an AR-10 at 1000yds, 6mm or 6.5mm are the way to go.

Mine's got a 22 moa riser from Badger and it works great. I already had rings laying around, so I saved a few bucks. I'd buy a Unimount if I had it to do over.
CW

I went with a GG&G canted base on mine but I don't think they're making them for the AR10/DPMS platform any longer.
IMG_2985.jpg

I used a Larue LT-107 because my scope needed the extra moa, but it's probably your most expensive choice!

leupold001.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: juniorARshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sir
Seekins mounts (and rings) are hard to beat - great price and unmatched quality!</div></div>

Seekins doesn't make a AR mount and his rings aren't going to be high enough on their own.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hazardus</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> With that (which brings me to answering your original question) you can look into the Desert Tactical one piece mounts. They have one piece mounts for 30mm, 34mm, and 35mm with tapers from 20, 35, and 40 MOA. With this setup, assuming you can get your bullet out to distance supersonically, you should be able to have enough elevation to get to 1K.</div></div>

The DTA mounts sit about 1.55" over the rail, though. For me that's too high for an AR (though it's perfect on my SRS) because with an AR you have the additional distance from the top of the rail to the top of the stock (occupied by the charging handle.) To get a similar height as the SRS you would need something like a 1.25-1.3 mount on an AR (which the Armalite is close to.) Might also consider a USO posi-lock mount, though they're backordered at the moment. If the iron sights on a standard A2 Ar-15 are good for you, then just get a NF mount and call it a day.

I will tell you right now go and buy the Larue SPR mount!
The mount is made for the AR type rifles and places the scope at the perfect height. they run around $200 after shipping but worth every penny!

spemd the 195.00 Buy the Larue tactical Spr-S mount it will clear Back up sights and is a solid piece of gear
running it on my SASS and wouldnt do anything else

Not really any discussion on the "for 1000yds" aspect of the query.

Is the AR-10 in .308win, even with 175gr matchkings, feasible at 1000yds? I know the boltgun guys have to shoot max loads to get there. Can't do that with an AR10 at least not with slow burning powders.

Anyone shooting 180 or 190 gr matchkings or heavy hornady? I load the 168 hornady and Sierras, have yet to shoot at 1000yds, but there are issues for gas guns that bolts don't have. Pressure venting is likely not a big deal, but not beating up your bolt and brass is. Who has a longer than rifle-standard gas hole? That is supposed to relieve some of the impact of heavy loads and delay the bolt cycle so pressures drop and don't beat up the brass.

The highpower guys have all the experience on making the AR work at 1000. Takes more than a canted scope base.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swamper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not really any discussion on the "for 1000yds" aspect of the query.

</div></div>

That's cause he didn't ask about how to get a bullet to a 1000yds, he just stated he didn't want his scope to run out of elevation with that much adjustment dialed in.

I went with a ARMS #35 base and had the rings milled in order to give me 20 MOA...

P1000099.jpg

ARMS4.jpg

ARMS.jpg