• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Good Non-Fiction Sniper Book...?

GlockSlap

Private
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2006
FL
Good Non-Fiction Sniper Book...?

Looking for a full nuts and bolts book that I can sit down and sink into. Thanks!

Re: Good Non-Fiction Sniper Book...?

I think that The Ultimate Sniper: Updated and Expanded is the book that you are looking for

Stalkers and Shooters is a good semi-historical look at sniping. As a history major im a stickler..but kevin has done a phenomenal job in this book and its a good read

edit--and by semi-historical im being dumb and anal. its very historical, just not a monograph..if that makes sense..he makes do with everything that is available and does a damn good job

"Hogs in the Shadows","Ronin","Trigger Men" and of course "Marine Sniper" these are all great non-fiction sniper books. Hope this helps.

these books are horrible,go buy the movie "shooter" it is 100% historically accurate to events that have not and will not ever happen
wink.gif

bench

Hogs in the shadows
Ronin
marine sniper
Shooter
dead center
a sniper in the Arizona
crosshairs on the kill zone
13 cent killers
silent warrior (pretty much the same as marine sniper)
one shot one kill

The Complete .50 Calibre Sniper Course by Dean Michaelis.

Warning though, since I read it, I'm only interested on shooting the last 25% of any rounds supersonic range.

I won't even get out of bed to shoot stuff less than 600 yards down range.

Dear Mom, A Sniper's Vietnam by Joseph T Ward. Written by Marine Sniper Ward, this was the first book that brought the exploits of Chuck Mahwinney to the forefront.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steven Dzupin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Rifleman went to war"

Capt H.W. McBride. </div></div>

+1... A timeless, non fiction, work of art for the rifle shooter.

Another vote for:
Hogs in the Shadows
Ronin
Stalkers and Shooters
The Ultimate Sniper
The History of Sniping and Sharpshooting

+1 Hogs in the Shadows

bought it this week haven't been able to stop reading it. every chance i get i'm reading.

+1 +1 +1 +1 !!! again for Hogs in the Shadows-- just finished reading it last week - - was awesome and hard to put it down.

This is a must read!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Superman406</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hogs in the shadows
Ronin
marine sniper
<span style="font-weight: bold">Shooter</span>
dead center
a sniper in the Arizona
crosshairs on the kill zone
13 cent killers
silent warrior (pretty much the same as marine sniper)
one shot one kill

</div></div>

Shooter????? I guess it is a good read if are 10 years old and still think Santa brings you X-mas gifts.

For instructional reading <span style="font-style: italic">Sniper Counter Sniper</span> and <span style="font-style: italic">Sniper II</span> by Mark Lonsdale are good from a SWAT training perspective. They are not really military manuals although there is, of course, some crossover.

For historical reading I've read nothing but good things about <span style="font-style: italic">The Confederate Whitworth Sharpshooters</span> by John A. Morrow. I have not actually read the book but it's on my list of books to get soon.

One out of print book that looks promising is <span style="font-style: italic">The Phantom of Phu Bai</span>: http://hometown.aol.com/lds1952/

It's the story of Eric England. England had 98 confirmed and operated with 3rd Marine Division at about the same time that Hathcock was operating with the 1st Marine Division. He also won the Leech Cup in 1965, the same year that Hathcock won the Wimbledon. I keep watching the website hoping the book will be offered again. So far, no luck.

If you want a really good book that has a little bit of sniping in it try "Lone Survivor."

"Trigger Men." Just got it and will probably finish by the end of the week. It is a great read, and hard to put down. Not very different from "Hogs in the Shadows," as far as a "record of events." That said, I like that style, and think they are both done much better than "One Shot, One Kill." That was great for short stories, but for just that.

Get Mike Lau's book too. Its got nuts and bolts stuff.

Military and Police Sniper

pe_hsnip.jpg

The history of sniping and sharpshooting

You might look at "Stalk & Kill" by Adrian Gilbert.
As stated above "A Rifleman Went To War" is a true classic.
All three of Sennich's books on sniping are very good books to read and also on older equipment used.
The others listed above are good reads also.

"Sniper" and "Illustrated manual of sniper skills" by marl spicer,
"Out of Nowhere" by martin Pegler, for the history and background of sniping

<span style="font-weight: bold">The one round war</span> by Peter Senich . Pretty much a nuts and bolts guide to the rifles and how they came to be and much more . Not much of a thriller but it is an Encyclopedia Brittanica of American sniping .

What I can't think of are many fictional books about snipers.
Not like you asked, though.

I have not read the Chandler, Death From Afar series, or the Sennich books but have read many Vietnam era sniping memoirs.

Marine Sniper is really THE Classic.
Have a bout 8 others on the bookshelf and can't really say there was much to differentiate them.

Just found Jack Coughlan's Shooter. Has very interesting discussion of his rapid deployment concepts. Most original ideas I've ever seen about benefits of precision fire which most "sniping" seems to dismiss.

Don't have the new/revised Plaster book, but Ultimate Sniper was a $45 waste of money. If you read this site and especially the archives at snipercountry.com you can save your money.

Best book I ever read for learning longrange shooting was Randolph Constantine's Modern Highpower Competition on NRA HighPower and Service Rifle.

Gotta love the McBride book.

Have read of Snipers in Iraq using Knight's SR-25 (AR-10) rifles with better results than bolt rifles of any sort. Gotta love a precision rifle that will fire 20rds w/o ammunition concerns and w/o bolt manipulation distraction. SR-25 and AR-10(T) will do all & more any bolt rifle will do and do it faster. Faster is better. No distractions/movements from rifle for immediate follow up (secondary target) is better.

Personally, I am of the opinion that a 20" barreled precision AR-15 w/A4 receiver and firing 75/77gr match ammunition is even more versatile than a .308 chambered rifle. .5moa accuracy w/minimum recoil and lighter weight weapon & ammunition has many benefits.

What I thought was interesting about Shooter was the outspokenness of the author and his premise that we always fight the current war using the previous war's tactics, often w/poor results. A different perspective is often very helpful.

Always interesting to read anything about precision shooting and deployment/operations of snipers. Some reads are just more memorable than others and disclose more ideas that you may choose to incorporate. FWIW...

+100 for Hogs In The Shadows. By far the best one i've read yet!

Whether you want to read about an individual, a team, rifles, camouflage, an action or a unit, everything mentioned thus far is but a derivative of Hesketh-Prichard's "Sniping in France." The economy-of-force infantry and intelligence asset known as the sniper really became known as such in the trenches and across the no-man's land of WWI.

With British Snipers to the Reich by C. Shore
Shots Fired in Anger by John B. George
A Rifleman Went to War by Herbert McBride
Out of Nowhere by Martin Pegler

My list; I have read them all, they are all invaluable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get Mike Lau's book too. Its got nuts and bolts stuff.

Military and Police Sniper
</div></div>

+1 a good read.

I loved Triggermen. Opened my eyes to the possibilties of a precision platform based off of a M16/AR15.

As for Hogs in the Shadows, I picked it up at the book store and am very sorry for not buying it. I read one chapter and was very impressed by it.

Shooter is a okay book. Coughlin doesn't give that many details which kinda annoyed me alittle.

As for the history of sniping and sharpshooting... I never read it but I went to selection with one of the guys on the cover.
smile.gif

I just finished "Trigger Men"....pretty good book, comparable to "Hogs In The Shadows"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arch Stanton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whether you want to read about an individual, a team, rifles, camouflage, an action or a unit, everything mentioned thus far is but a derivative of Hesketh-Prichard's "Sniping in France." The economy-of-force infantry and intelligence asset known as the sniper really became known as such in the trenches and across the no-man's land of WWI. </div></div>

Just got my copy, can't put it down, must add it to my list. What a wonderful read.

Marine Sniper.He was one tough bastard.

Just a couple more to add to the list of good book's. Just my opinion though.

-Whitefeather
-Lone Survivor

Colson. Yes, anyone that reads <span style="font-weight: bold">Sniping In France</span> can see, quite clearly, where the meat and potatoes came from that went into the soup so avidly pursued by professionals and hobbyists today.

If I had to add just one more book, it would be <span style="font-weight: bold">One Round War: USMC Scout Snipers in Vietnam, by Peter Senich</span>. (His passing was a loss to this aspect of history.) In terms of truth, NOTHING else even comes close, although the entire story can never be told because it depends so greatly on the position of the observer. For every fan there is a detractor whose unit was just down the road with the scars and photos and stories to back up his contentions. For every tale of this or that "greatest man ever" there is a Lance Corporal with bullet holes in his body that will question who and how often people actually left the wire (for the modern day, use FOB in place of wire). For every tale from the "top shooter" there are 100 factoids to apply the terse inspecting needed to get at the truth. (Note: one must examine the story's teller as well as the protagonists.)

I had the opportunity to speak with Mr. Senich at length about his research a few years back while he stayed at my home. As a few have cautiously mentioned, one of diminutive fluorescence for instance, much flair has been assigned to a short list of individuals not only for their own notoriety but also to add substance and sustenance to an ever growing capability and tactical need. (The 'need' to sell books will not be mentioned here). Lists of numbers and 'confirmeds' catch the eye of the reader but in the end certainly few facts are indeed confirmable. At any level of command, I ask why I would allow any sized unit to be pinned by a gunman for 3 days since any sun that must go up must also go down.

Lucky it might be to have sat with the fine fellows who are what the bigger story is all about. On Saturday evening, I was fortunate to dine with a scout sniper of Lt William Hawkins platoon, from the Betio Battalion, 3/2 (Unas Supra!) Having read every known book about the battle of Tarawa, I got a chuckle hearing him tell me that the authors were mostly wrong.

With every story there must be a start. In my own experiences and studies I have found Sniping in France to present that opportunity to people interested in the technical aspects as well as the tactical. In One Shot-War, Senich modernizes and lights the path for your journey. Sadly, I am beginning to realize that the path may have no end....

Another vote for <span style="font-style: italic">Sniper One</span> by Sgt. Dan Mills.

Mills was the sniper platoon leader in 1st Battalion, The Pricess of Wales' Royal Regiment, during a tour in Al Amarah, Iraq, in 2004.

Mills, a career soldier with 18 years in, 10 of it as a sniper, had not previously fired a weapon in combat. That changed. This book is the story of that tour.

In addition to their roles in compound protection, the sniper platoon also did patrols into the city during the height of the influence of the Madhi Army.

They saw combat on a daily basis almost from the first day of their arrival.

It's a great story of modern sniper combat. The book is very well written, surprisingly so given that there is no mention of a professional co-author, and there are details of their operations and kit.

I just finished Triggermen, and it was prety good. Marine Sniper was excelent, and I just started the second volume called Silent Warrior. I am hoping it's as good as the first. I'll have to read some of the other books suggested here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another vote for <span style="font-style: italic">Sniper One</span> by Sgt. Dan Mills.

Mills was the sniper platoon leader in 1st Battalion, The Pricess of Wales' Royal Regiment, during a tour in Al Amarah, Iraq, in 2004.

Mills, a career soldier with 18 years in, 10 of it as a sniper, had not previously fired a weapon in combat. That changed. This book is the story of that tour.

In addition to their roles in compound protection, the sniper platoon also did patrols into the city during the height of the influence of the Madhi Army.

They saw combat on a daily basis almost from the first day of their arrival.

It's a great story of modern sniper combat. The book is very well written, surprisingly so given that there is no mention of a professional co-author, and there are details of their operations and kit.
</div></div>

+1 For <span style="font-style: italic">Sniper One</span>

+1 for "Hogs in the shadow" & "Trigger men" , outstanding books indeed .

PP out

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on Dear Mom from Joseph T. Ward. Damn good reading! </div></div>
Math an Fear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fire_monkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sniper one by Dan mills.

It's about a siege in Al Amarah, Iraq from a British snipers point of view.

If you can get holed of it I tell you, you won't put it down.
</div></div>

Is this book hard to get in the US?

I could send my copy on to one of you guys, maybe a pass around?

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Sniping in France </span>is a classic. It is MUST READ. It works on several levels: As a history of Great War British Sniping it has no peer-the author was there, and developed a big part of British doctrine. As a tutorial on basic sniping and obervation techniques it is a real gem. As a glimpse into a time gone by-the Western Front during WWI-it is priceless. As an example of the power of personality and leadership as applied to a military problem it is inspiring. What a pity that the author died in 1922. I can imagine that he would have been a real force in preparing (the woefully unprepared-again)Brit Snipers for the Second World War.

Peter Senich's series of sniper books are by far the best books on sniping/sniping history.

hogs in the shadows is good, but chapter 9 is false. I know the individual that is mentioned in this chapter and he is not a sniper at all!!

Coughlin's book "shooter"...B.S.!!

my grandpa sent me this book a great read
sniper on the eastern front
the memoirs of sepp allerberger knights cross