• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Competition Events Good non-PRS affiliated matches worth traveling for?

rothgyr

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 12, 2018
    UTAH (UT)
    A couple of buddies and myself flew down to Rifles Only for the Brawl back in 2022, and had a good time traveling together. We mostly shoot regional PRS matches throughout the year, but have the itch to do something different for a change, and do another bro trip.

Anyone have any favorite events that aren't just PRS formats in different locations? I know NRL Hunter is a thing, and we have a few that are local to UT already. I'd say that's my fall back plan.

Stuff that sounds interesting to me:
    • Range and engage
    • Team format
    • Pistols included
    • Some rucking, but necessarily timed fast-or-disqualified per se, such as Mammoth
    • Friday-Saturday options work best for our group

If you’re into rimfire, search for the obx club on PractiScore. We host monthly MARS events from 25-400+yards, an do our best to keep it interesting 😉
    IMG_8738.jpeg

Last edited:
    Competition dynamics team safari literally checks all your boxes.

Reactions: kthomas
    There’s going to be a night match in Cody,WY on 9/23. Not sure if that’s too far for a one day for you guys. I heard a rumor there might be a night match in Vernal soon but it was only rumor so far.

A night match sounds super interesting. I don't have NODs though. Any idea what the name of the match in Cody is?

For Vernal, depends a lot on the MD. There's some drama going on right now out that way.

You basically described a Guardian match. Look into those. One in November at Arena in South Georgia.

Reactions: DudeBro and RS14
    A night match sounds super interesting. I don't have NODs though. Any idea what the name of the match in Cody is?

For Vernal, depends a lot on the MD. There's some drama going on right now out that way.
    Night match is where the targets are individually lit or a general area with targets is lit. But the firing line and everywhere else is dark. No NODs required. Suppressed match and there is a sponsor if you need a loaner can. It’s just like the Silent Night PRS match that just happened. Registration opens 9/1 on practiscore. Sorry to hear about drama in Vernal, I was hoping to go shoot one of their matches in the next year so hopefully it gets all sorted out.
    I’ll also say the guardian matches sound like a great time and different format.

Reactions: rothgyr
    You basically described a Guardian match. Look into those. One in November at Arena in South Georgia.
    Guardian is sounding more and more like what I'd like to do. My buddies don't want to shoot the Sunday part of a guardian match, which sucks. I really want to do Sunday version of the match.

Reactions: RS14
    Guardian is sounding more and more like what I'd like to do. My buddies don't want to shoot the Sunday part of a guardian match, which sucks. I really want to do Sunday version of the match.

If you do a team match (some Guardian matches are team events), you shoot with your teammate both days. It’s a good event. I haven’t seen drama, and it isn’t super regimented, and there’s usually plenty of beer drinking when shooting is done.

If you are into long stuff Nightforce ELR and KRG Extreme Steel are both great matches, I'd like to try the Heart Mountain Challenge also.