• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good option for a $6k-$8k Minivan

Sugarbug

Sugarbug Don't Care
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2013
Louisiana
Well... Around tax time next year, my wife and I have decided to get a van. We're having our third child the beginning of March and will be selling her Ford Taurus (2005, piece of shit) and getting a van.

Important:

1) Safety
2) Something that will run for as close to forever as possible
3) Fuel economy

Do they have an AWD minivan? We're in LA at the moment, but may try to relocate north in the next couple years.

Just want to make an educated purchase about what's out there and what I can expect to pay. I know nothing about minivans and told myself this would never happen...

Thank you.

Last edited:
There are a handful of AWD minivans out there...I think Chrysler made a Grand Caravan AWD, perhaps there are others.

For <$8k you're likely looking at a used van that is WELL used on the interior; hell I've looked at 4 year old Siennas and Odysseys coming off lease (priced at north of $20k) and they're beat up pretty good.

My wife and I are seriously considering a Mazda 5 to replace her 2004 Camry in the coming year or two; its a truly "mini" minivan but gets the best MPG, is ranked well for crash safety, and drives about like her Camry does (ie. not a large vehicle).

Yeah. I realize this isn't going to be getting us a Grand Caravan SRT 8 or anything, but it needs to get me through the last few months of my Nav Arch degree with 3 kids. Doesn't have to be too new. Something within the last 10 years that runs well and has good safety features.