• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good or Bad Brass Cleaning Method?

Juggerxxx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017

Good idea or bad idea for cleaning brass? I like how it slightly scratches the case to help grip the chamber walls better.

Excessive effort. Just tumble them in walnut if you REALLY need to clean them. I typically wipe my precision rifle cases and lightly scrub the neck only with a mild Scotch Brite pad by hand. I then hit the inside of the neck with an old 30 cal bronze brush. Anneal, size, clean primer pockets (probably unnecessary as well), load.

If they get really dirty (wet shooting day, etc), I will tumble them in a dry crushed walnut mix.

RMD

I agree with you on the part about if they need to be cleaned. I don’t typically clean mine other than washing the lube off. It has been bugging me over the last year looking at how ugly the brass gets. I also dont touch the inside of my necks as I like that carbon in there.
I’m just wondering if anyone uses this method or if it there is any downfall or negative to this method?

I have to admit that pretty, shiny brass is nice but I just tumble my brass for long range in walnut hulls and leave the carbon in the necks. I wet tumbled some 30-30 brass the other day and wow how shiny but I don’t do that for my long range brass.

I would have to wash the cases after as scotch-bright leaves behind small particles of the pad.
I would not want to have that in my chamber.

Reactions: spife7980