• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good powder for 62gr. bullet?

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
Im new to reloading and i am going to test some 62gr. HP Match bullets and was wondering what are some good powders to use from Hodgdon, IMR, Reloader or Vihta Vuori for a 62gr. Bullet?

Anyone know any bullet manufacturers that make a 62gr. HP Match bullets besides Remington??

Re: Good powder for 62gr. bullet?

Ramshot Big Game, Win W760, Hodgdon H414. Others may indicate faster powders like Varget, and they will work, but I think their burn rate may be a tad faster than is optimal. I prefer a slower powders because they will likely result in more case capacity utilization, increasing Load Density Percentage, which I think is a positive factor.

Ramshot Big Game can be loaded with 26.5gr behind the 75gr Hornady bullets, resulting in both a compressed load and very good accuracy in longer barrels and bolt guns. Velocity may not be as high, but it should be adequate for all but the most extreme distances, and accuracy should benefit.

Greg