• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good quality children's books?

yellowfin

Roll Tide!
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2014
Lancaster Co., PA
So #1 job of being dad calls for resources, so I need my team of experts here. I struck gold lately with getting a great book for my 2 1/2 year old son which is now his favorite book: Mikey and the Dragons by Jocko Willink. So much of kids' entertainment and learning is crap these days--useful maybe in learning numbers, colors, etc. but usually airheaded, unrealistically always happy, and often about non-human characters. This one directly connects with real people, talks about real situations and feelings, and teaches real solid values while also being immaculately well written. It's probably the best written kids book I've ever seen.

The catch is that this book is the only one in its class that I know of. It's so well written and so real and personally connecting that my son asks me to read it instantly upon seeing me every time he sees me. This may be 3 or 4 times a day. It's absolutely awesome that he likes it and has bonded with me more strongly than ever before. I won't complain or refuse, not once. If he learns nothing else, the lessons from this book are worth repeating ten thousand times or more--and at this rate that's about how many times we will. Has anyone else here read it and know of others that are like it? I need to keep this good thing going. I need to be able to teach my son to be strong, morally sound, proud to be part of us, valuing his heritage, industrious and self reliant, completely opposite the current PC garbage, etc. and any material to work with towards this is much, much needed.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
2.5 years old? No Chaucer, then. Maybe young enough for Kafka or Camus, though he will outgrow it quickly.

Seriously, just go to the library and pick some stuff out with him would be my advice.

When you give a mouse a cookie.

This pertains to everyday life and adults should read it too.

Green eggs and ham.

It's fun to read, especially if you have a good cadence while reading it.
It also has a great message about not taking things at face value.

My oldest daughter (25) would ask for that book all the time.
We turned reading it into a game and she would laugh and giggle.

When she was first born, I would read to her during feeding times, or even when she was just in my lap.
Usually, it was from hunting magazines and she learned all about the different animals and sub species.
By the time she was 2-1/2, she could identify every North American critter that you'd find in magazines.
In fact, we were at Intermountain Outdoor Sports in Boise, and as we were going around the store, she correctly identified every animal in there.

An amazing feat for someone her age.

It is so important to read to your kids. They crave the info and moreso, they crave the attention they get from the time spent on your lap or in the chair next to you.

Just read something to them.

+1 on Dr. Seuss. He had a PhD in illustration and child psychology. None of his stuff is a 'shroom filled romp through colors and rhymes. He spent hours trying to make books to speed the brain and speech development of kids.

I grew up on these:

And the Hardy Boys. Sounds like they are too young for that. But what you do now will get them ready for real books all-too-soon.

Consider going to used book stores and finding kids books from the '60s and '70s that aren't about mind control and Sally having two Mommies. Look for stuff like primers, kids encyclopedias, picture books (like the Time Life 'space' and 'science' and 'nature' books.) They are dirt cheap and even if some of the info is now dated... at a kids level they will be beautiful! reading and pictures.

Just some thoughts.

Sirhr

+1 on Dr. Seuss. He had a PhD in illustration and child psychology. None of his stuff is a 'shroom filled romp through colors and rhymes. He spent hours trying to make books to speed the brain and speech development of kids.

I grew up on these:

And the Hardy Boys. Sounds like they are too young for that. But what you do now will get them ready for real books all-too-soon.

Consider going to used book stores and finding kids books from the '60s and '70s that aren't about mind control and Sally having two Mommies. Look for stuff like primers, kids encyclopedias, picture books (like the Time Life 'space' and 'science' and 'nature' books.) They are dirt cheap and even if some of the info is now dated... at a kids level they will be beautiful! reading and pictures.

Just some thoughts.

Sirhr

man, I loved me some Hardy Boys as a kid. Need to get a set for my daughters!

This is the Hide:;):cool:

1572266636532.png

1572266734059.png

So #1 job of being dad calls for resources, so I need my team of experts here. I struck gold lately with getting a great book for my 2 1/2 year old son which is now his favorite book: Mikey and the Dragons by Jocko Willink. So much of kids' entertainment and learning is crap these days--useful maybe in learning numbers, colors, etc. but usually airheaded, unrealistically always happy, and often about non-human characters. This one directly connects with real people, talks about real situations and feelings, and teaches real solid values while also being immaculately well written. It's probably the best written kids book I've ever seen.

The catch is that this book is the only one in its class that I know of. It's so well written and so real and personally connecting that my son asks me to read it instantly upon seeing me every time he sees me. This may be 3 or 4 times a day. It's absolutely awesome that he likes it and has bonded with me more strongly than ever before. I won't complain or refuse, not once. If he learns nothing else, the lessons from this book are worth repeating ten thousand times or more--and at this rate that's about how many times we will. Has anyone else here read it and know of others that are like it? I need to keep this good thing going. I need to be able to teach my son to be strong, morally sound, proud to be part of us, valuing his heritage, industrious and self reliant, completely opposite the current PC garbage, etc. and any material to work with towards this is much, much needed.

you know I’m glad you asked this! Having two daughters, one 5 and one 1.5 years old, in today’s time scares the shit out of me. Boys you just smack around and don’t worry about but there is something different about raising girls. And raising all kids these days is totally different than raising them back in the 80’s and 90’s. I’m not trying to knock anyone that raised kids in that era or before but there is so many societal issues that past generations didn’t have to worry about that it’s not even funny! Anyways, like you I noticed that a lot of books are crap and was looking for something better to read to my little ones myself!

My favorite book, though, was the Kenneth Roberts book Northwest Passage. I don't know how old I was when I first read it. About the same time as Stuart Little, The Trumpet of the Swan and Charlottes Web.

Also discovered the 'history' wing of the school library at about grade 3 or 4. While everyone was fighting over Dr. Seuss, my best friend Steven and I (we both built model planes, tanks, etc. from a very early age) discovered 30 seconds over Tokyo. The Phantom Major. Amazing books!

We had reading lists at school and there were advanced books in there for our ages. I remember 7th and 8th grade included books like Animal farm, Hiroshima,

Cheers,

Sirhr

Reactions: SilentStalkr
A bit young but early on get them into early Heinlein.

-Have Spacesuit Will Travel (was one of the first science friction books I ever read and lit my fire)
-Glory Road- In a class of its own.

The later stuff got too political/philosophical. Forget anything after 1959.

Once again books for older children. I read most of them when I was around 10 and still find them enjoyable MANY years later.

Black Stallion series by Walter Farley

The "We Were There ..." series is history told from the perspective of a child who was present when the event takes place. It is fiction due to the story being changed due to the child being there but there is a lot of history included. The books leave the reader with a desire to learn more about the event.

Read anything that isn't part of the current social experiment.
Give them coloring books or paper and colored pencils for when you're driving around.

Play music and sing to it with them, especially in the car/truck. It can be their music or your own, just make sure it's easy to sing with.

Do not play movies in a vehicle and do not let them entertain themselves with electronics.

I personally liked the books by Virginia Lee Burton especially Katy and the Big Snow, and Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel.

Thanks for that one. I remembered the book but not the title or author.

Not trying to hijack the thread but been trying to think of a non fiction series of military books. Date to pre 1974 probably 1960s vintage. Red cover with miitary equipment pics large format pages about legal size. It had write ups and pics of world wide military equipment including odd stuff like the flying wing, nuke cannon etc

A couple of my kids loved Children's and Household Tales aka Grimm Fairy Tales by the Brothers Grimm

Some of those tales are classic

The Adventures of Tintin by Herge were other good ones.

I also remember reading the Amelia Bedelia books that were my dad's.

The Redwall series by Brian Jacques books are great (may be longer than you were wanting). Originally written for stories to tell to a blind school.

Terry Pratchett books (especially the Discworld series) are great as well. Advice from the author is dont start with the first books. The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents is a good one. Great for adults and kids. The Tiffany Aching sub series is also good. Funny.

Also advice from a kid who was a bookworm and as an adult still is. Ignore most of the age ranges of books. Let your kid read what they want to. Also hated when school let you only read to the end of chapters.

Minn of the Mississippi
Paddle to the sea
Both were written by Holling C. Holling

where the wild things are
1572466088193.png
a great book or
1572466133413.png
always loved the short stories .
watership downs , the the secret of nym ineradicable children's story . C. L . Lewis has some ineradicable stories the chronicles of Narnia , RR token pick any of them Its hard to go wrong. Jack London's call of the wild/ white fang . and can't for get the man from snowie river . any military manual on stripping and cleaning your m1

Forgot to add, but from about the age of 10 on, both my grandfathers were reading Louis L'Amour's books, and they'd give them to me to read. I still have them.
Morals, respect, and responsibility right there.

Anything by Paul Goble is good. Good short stories with awesome artwork. Most have a little lesson in the story. Good for kids from about age five on up. The pictures are good enough that your youn ones would probably like them. Our son really enjoyed them.
6EFB33E1-0823-4521-A851-035C92955C40.jpeg

Reactions: acudaowner
Rush Limbaugh’s books about history written for kids. My oldest loved them.

Reactions: 502Chevelle
The Heinlein Juveniles Books.

Clarke's Against the Fall of Night.

C.s Lewis Narnia series.

These are the books that were read to me in my childhood, and that I read in my adolescence.

The Hobbit and LOTR.

C.S. Lewis The Screwtape Letters, for when they're older.

Asimov's Foundation Trilogy. This series got me seriously into reading at the age of 12; my Dad gave them to me. By 16 the school librarian was telling me I really shouldn't be reading Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land...; I never told her about Heinlein's Time Enough for Love...

The kids are ready for whatever you read them, and treating them like immature little snowflakes gets you immature little snowflakes. If they can't handle it, let them tell you so. Their intellect and IQ are still formative, and can and will be improved by treating them more like adults. Helped me a lot. Get them asking questions; let the stories guide them toward those questions. Shield and pamper them at their peril.

I would paraphrase The Hobbit for my Scouts as campfire stories, and they loved it.

Greg

Last edited:
Attacks - Erwin Rommel (required annual reading)
US Army SUT Handbook
Left of Bang
Fry the Brain - John West
Long Range Shooting Handbook - Cleckner
Meditations - Marcus Aurelius

Thats a good start until they're 6 or so. There's also a childrens book aimed at letting them know that they aren't special, by default, but instead need to differentiate themselves and excel past others by education, strength and will so that later on you can also destroy those same snowflakes.