• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good Range Bag Recommendation?

Turkeytider

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2022
Georgia
Anyone have a range bag recommendation, say, in the $50-100 range ( although if you have one for less that you really like, please recommend ) ? Also, source? Most seem designed for pistols, which I don`t shoot. Would like to get one from Midway, Brownell`s, etc if possible. Thanks.

Reactions: RUN8 and mrtoyz
The thing I’ve learned with bags, like back packs, camera bags, and gun cases, is that cheap ones eventually break and your stuff hits the ground. Or the zippers break. Or the cheap buckles snap. Etc.

An extra $100 -$150 over 20 years is $5-$7.50/year.

I use this one:

This is a smaller version

^ Both are 2 for 1 right now. So, if you need something else anyway, might be half-price to you.

Although I think I’d like that Eberlestock Bang Bang, it’s not quite big enough for me, and the nail in the coffin is it has no backpack straps. I carry the range bag on my back and 1-2 rifles in cases over a shoulder. But I love the hard bottom…if they just put backpack straps on the top it would probably work.

Last edited:
"I'd like something $50-$100"...Immediately post $200 bag...
I'm interested as well. I'm leaning tool bag at this point.
Then get the Midway USA bag. It's like 40 or 60 bucks. I haven't checked in years. I have one... that sits somewhere in the garage. It's a cheap POS, your shit is going to flop around everywhere. but can carry a lot of stuff.

I purposely got a smaller Eberlestock bag since I can pack whatever I need for the shooting I will be doing that day and I'm not carry around a lot of dead weight. I also have a Eberlestock G3 too, but never gets uses since its cumbersome to transport around. I try to get all my shooting gear tight and compact as possible.
The thing I’ve learned with bags, like back packs, camera bags, and gun cases, is that cheap ones eventually break and your stuff hits the ground. Or the zippers break. Or the cheap buckles snap. Etc.

An extra $100 -$150 over 20 years is $5-$7.50/year.

I used this one:

This is a smaller version

^ Both are 2 for 1 right now. So, if you need something else anyway, might be half-price to you.

Although I think I’d like that Eberlestock Bang Bang, it’s not quite big enough for me, and the nail in the coffin is it has no backpack straps. I carry the range bag on my back and 1-2 rifles in cases over a shoulder. But I love the hard bottom…if they just put backpack straps on the top it would probably work.

Agree 100%. I got one of those cheapie Eagle HSRC China made clone bags for one of my other rifles. Since Eagle got bought out and doesn't make the bag any longer. The zipper is already broken, doesn't quite close as well as the original Eagle HSRC that is probably 15 years old. Luckly, I found another original HSRC the other month. Little worn but everything works with that bag.

Reactions: carbonbased
Because I’m a bag whore, I searched around a bit this evening. Fire Force is a place I’ve used for pretty burly $8 USA made zippered pouches to store mags. They have lots of colors so I can be somewhat organized lol.

Anyway they make bags too. They are sorta older school…they have an old site with more pics of products and an e-commerce site with only a pic or two of products, so bear with me.

Click the links under the pic for more views.

Above is a modified aviator bag with backpack straps for $135 (e-commerce link). It’s huge. ~5500ci/90L. But as it sits upright (probably, with heavy stuff at the bottom), you keep the muck off the straps as you use it.

This medic bag looks like it would also stand upright, and is more reasonable size ~3000ci/41L. Can’t find it on their e-commerce site, call ‘em. Might be pricey.

Anyway, damnit, I might be buying more bags! They have lots of stuff that might work and shit, USA made with YKK zips for reasonable prices.

Last edited:
Because I’m a bag whore, I searched around a bit this evening. Fire Force is a place I’ve used for pretty burly $8 USA made zippered pouches to store mags. They have lots of colors so I can be somewhat organized lol.

Anyway they make bags too. They are sorta older school…they have an old site with more pics of products and an e-commerce site with only a pic or two of products, so bear with me.

Click the links under the pic for more views.

Above is a modified aviator bag with backpack straps for $135 (e-commerce link). Might be a little big? ~5500ci/90L. But as it sits upright, you keep the muck off the straps as you use it.

This medic bag looks like it would also stand upright, and is more reasonable size ~3000ci/41L. Can’t find it on their e-commerce site, call ‘em. Might be pricey.

Anyway, damnit, I might be buying more bags! They have lots of stuff that might work and shit, USA made with YKK zips for reasonable prices.
In my correspondence with Fireforce, they indicated they aren’t making any more gear until the fall, which is disappointing.

-Stan

Reactions: carbonbased
Get a job at State Farm, their freebie bag has been serving me for 10+ years now.

On a serious note, the drag bags from midway have been good to me--I did rip one of the straps with my piggie AI and another rifle in it at the same time. Lots of pouches and despite the one rip, I was able to attach the strap elsewhere. (also long enough to keep a stuck supressor on).

Got me a ProCase Tactical duffle. Works great and holds everything I need.

if you have one for less that you really like, please recommend

Honestly, I use a couple tool bags I got on sale years ago for something like $19. All my rifles have individual bags with pouches for mags and accessories. I got two of them all in for under $50 out the door years ago and they still don't miss a beat. Each one will hold more ammo than I want to pick up and the handles haven't snapped yet.

Mostly what goes in the bag is ammo, shooting bags/stands, chrony, some tools, bug spray, markers, chamber flags and whatnots in the pockets along with in-ear ear pro ... they're pretty versatile, durable and cheap ... but not fashionable or tacticool with all the meshy goodness.

77A2F35F-2B7B-442A-955B-8EE5231B7D6C.jpeg

Last edited:
Honestly, I use a couple tool bags I got on sale years ago for something like $19. All my rifles have individual bags with pouches for mags and accessories.

Mostly what goes in the bag is ammo, shooting bags/stands, chrony, some tools and whatnots in the pockets along with in-ear ear pro ... they're pretty versatile, durable and cheap ... but not fashionable or tacticool with all the meshy goodness.

View attachment 8209204
I think Husky tool bags rock!

My problem is that I need a fair bit of stuff, especially in the winter (spotter, smaller spotting tripod, binos, targets, ear pro [sometimes for two], stapler, ammo, tool bag, range gloves and winter range knit hat). And to make just one trip from truck to range shed I need the bag to have backpack straps.

Those two requirements, size and backpack straps, rule out all of the burly tool bags I have found. Maybe there’s some out there?

I swear a lot of the range bags out there are for pistol guys. If that’s you Double Alpha makes some killer bags.

Anyway, I found some more options for the OP. Not USA made, but still well made.

This is the backpack version of the R1 Bang Bang. Heavy, a little small at ~32.5L/1,987.50ci, and waaay overpriced at $329. But they offer 10% off if you sign up for emails, so about $300.

I guess if you’re dealing with mud a lot, it may be the best option?

Better pics at Brownells. Wtf do companies get so stingy with pics???

57L. Only $130! Basically the Maxpedition Doppelduffel I have, only the backpack straps are on the top (yea!) but don’t have a sternum strap. Not a big deal as I don’t think you’ve hiking with this thing. I bet you could rig up a sternum strap if you must have one.

They make a 40L and a gigantic 105L version. Looks like one can open the top without undoing the bp straps.

This next one is for the pistol crowd (like the Double Alpha), although I’m not sure if you can make it so the whole thing is one big cavity. Not available yet.
I have a Savior pistol bag and it is very well made…I think they might make the best Asian-produced gear.

They also make some cases that might double as large range backpacks. They way they open would keep the bp straps mostly off the ground. And one could keep the optics separate from the other stuff. $240.

Fuck I gotta stop looking at this 💩! I have a mound of bags already.

Last edited:
Reactions: doubloon
Check out the Force Protector Gear, model FOR65 Deployer. Its got wheels, shoulder straps, carry handles, tons of room and zippered pouches, velcro storage sections. Snag a.used one off eBay, pre-soiled for around a hundred delivered

I know it’s labeled as a handgun bag but the GPS Handgunner back pack is a great rifle range bag. The pistol divider that is show is removable. I use mine for PRS matches. It’s a great bag for around $100. I was using a Mystery Ranch 3 Day assault bag which is nice as well but I got tired of everything in one main compartment.

I’ve got a 13 dollar cabelas bag (opened in pic) that has a shoulder strap that I take to matches and drag down the firing line.
The plastic mtm ammo box sits nicely in the flat bottom next to the plate bag where the ears muffs are now

3C1E1032-86E3-4A55-BF22-ADF78699F565.jpeg

My problem is that I need a fair bit of stuff.

That's why I have two. Ammo, ear/eye pro and extras for 4 or 5 shooters easily fits in two with plenty of room to spare and makes it easy to spread the load instead of everything crammed in one monolithic bag. that I have to drag and unpack The tool bags I have also have hooks for straps like the one in the picture and I have straps laying around but the straps are rarely needed since the bags are more compact and manageable.

I've never had a situation that couldn't be handled by a couple of these bags so I don't have a mound of bags to choose from. That Cabela's bag looks nice, I'd have a harder time not buying that than something for $200-$400, if I only got 2 years use out of a $13 bag and had to replace it with another one it would take about 25 years before I spent $200 on a bag but they easily last longer than 2 years.

But everybody's needs are different. If I needed to haul everything any distance I'd still use multiple moderate size bags but I'd put it on wheels, something like a fordable dolly or cart.

I've had pretty good luck with my large Midway bag. Maybe I'm not as hard on my stuff as I feel like I am, but so far after 10 or so years of use (including a lot of USPSA for a while) I've only had issues with the strings pulling out of the zipper pulls and a tear on one of the seams on the shoulder strap (hasn't completely failed and still works). That said, I'm thinking about making it a dedicated handgun shooting bag and getting a Bang Bang for rifle shooting. The amount of stuff I haul back and forth to the range has outgrown a single "do it all" bag lol.

I can strongly recommend Adventure tool company bags and gear. I own several of their well made products and I am very happy with all of them. Plus there made in Colorado. I am not affiliated with them in any way, just a long time happy customer. Their products are well designed and very well made. Plus the offer them in waxed cotton... ;)

$38 for black bag. I think mine is 15yrs old and looks brand new still. Thousands of range trips.

Dammit!

I don't even need another bag but now I'm going to order one of these fkrs for $40 because you made me look. It is virtually impossible to find a bad review about this bag.

@Ronin22 stop spending my money!

• Haha
Reactions: Ronin22 and Modoc
Dammit!

I don't even need another bag but now I'm going to order one of these fkrs for $40 because you made me look. It is virtually impossible to find a bad review about this bag.

@Ronin22 stop spending my money!
Now you are making me want to buy another one! Before they become extinct! J/K!

As the only shooter in the family, I have received soooo many bags for B-Days and Christmas. I had to make an announcement that I'm at max capacity. I would of course never complain if they bought me ammo.

Check out the ESSTAC 50 cal bag (https://esstac.com/range-bag/). Super strong, you can use molle on the side to hold your mags. Mine is set up to hold AR mags on one side and pistol on the other. When I need to carry more than I can fit in that, I grab a backpack.

My favorite “bag” for casual use is a 6 gallon rectangular bucket from The Home Depot. It holds a lot of gear and has a nice big handle. 20 bucks.

Reactions: Ronin22
My favorite “bag” for casual use is a 6 gallon rectangular bucket from The Home Depot. It holds a lot of gear and has a nice big handle. 20 bucks.
Brilliant. You could even water a horse with it, wash your feet, collect some apples when in a pinch at the range. J/K

• Haha
Reactions: ryodlsl
$35. 16in Bag with Waterproof Molded Bottom

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/TICONN-Waterproofed-Multi-Pockets-Reflective-Adjustable/dp/B09CCWKC3V

I know I’m late to the party but I ‘m looking for a good range bag. I have read all the above suggestions and so far, none has been a good fit for me.

What I would like to have is one that’s padded and has a center compartment 16”-20” long and would be great if it was divided the long way to keep my 16” spotting scope on one side and all the other crap on the other side.

I’m trying to minimize what I’m carrying from the parking lot to the range.

I know I’m late to the party but I ‘m looking for a good range bag. I have read all the above suggestions and so far, none has been a good fit for me.

What I would like to have is one that’s padded and has a center compartment 16”-20” long and would be great if it was divided the long way to keep my 16” spotting scope on one side and all the other crap on the other side.

I’m trying to minimize what I’m carrying from the parking lot to the range.

Way better than carrying any bag. Just toss your shit in it and wheel it.

I think my range bag is a 5.11 that I got as a gift. It's served me well for a few years, and when I go to the range, it's usually loaded up with a decent amount of weight in ammo, mags, etc.

I would try and buy a quality bag that's designed to handle a decent amount of weight. I learned this lesson with backpacks - I was going through a backpack every 6-8 months or so, until a bought a quality one (Arc'teryx). Haven't had to buy a replacement, and it's been 8+ years now.

For some things, it's cheaper to spend more money up front.

I think my range bag is a 5.11 that I got as a gift. It's served me well for a few years, and when I go to the range, it's usually loaded up with a decent amount of weight in ammo, mags, etc.
Looking at the 5.11 Rush LBD Mike 40L bag is about as close as I've seen so far. It doesn't appear to have a divider lengthwise. If I don’t find something closer than what I had in mind I could get a padded case for my spotting scope to protect it further. My spotting scope is 17” in length and has been with me for more than 20 years. It’s like an old friend. It does have a fitted padded case, but I would like to have it more protected from just being lugged and bounced around.
For some things, it's cheaper to spend more money up front.
Absolutely true... I don't mind spending some money when justified, but I also hate to over buy when it's unnecessary. I'm retired and any unnecessary expenses takes away from range time...

Reactions: kthomas
Trying to be minimalistic but you’re looking to bring 40L worth of stuff along to the range?
10" X 12" X 20" is approximately 40L. I don't consider that excessive when I can carry everything I need to spend some time on the range. One bag and a rifle or two.

Reactions: Holliday
Depending on how much stuff, maybe the Savior line of rifle bags. Can buy them on Amazon and other places. There's usually a few outer pockets, a medium zippered pocket, then the zippered spot for the rifle(s.) Come with handles and backpack straps. Usually had webbing out from for any more add ons.

Been rocking one of these for a few years now. Great range bag.

I like the Bang Bang Range Bag, but the bags specs look to be to small to carry my spotting scope. I also looked at Home Depot and Menards tool bags, both stores have something that would work.

I would like to bag that has molle webbinng. So far the 5.11 Rush LBD Mike 40L bag is still on the top of my list.

@Sh∞ter
1706554123697.png

18.5"H x 13.25"W x 7"D

5.11 RESPONDER48 BACKPACK 35L
$250
No molle but divides in half for your spotter. The bigger version of this bag apparently has no dividers.

Last edited:
I’ve got a 13 dollar cabelas bag (opened in pic) that has a shoulder strap that I take to matches and drag down the firing line.
The plastic mtm ammo box sits nicely in the flat bottom next to the plate bag where the ears muffs are now

View attachment 8209269
I actually use this same bag when I'm going to the range with just my rimfires or a single rifle and don't want to take my MR pack, tripod, and all that. It holds ammo, mags, cleaning kit, target kit, all that stuff pretty well for being so cheap.

Reactions: spife7980
I like the Bang Bang Range Bag, but the bags specs look to be to small to carry my spotting scope.

Fuck it.

Next range outing I’m packing all my shit in a Hefty Cinch Sack. Just for the reaction of other shooters.

It will give me an excuse to buy a Hi-Point.

Well, as a bag whore I noticed the 5.11 Lima I linked to above is $104 this President’s Day weekend, so I bought it.

The only things I don’t really like about my Maxpedition Doppelduffel are that the backpack straps are on the bottom (get wet etc when you lay it in the ground) and that the zipper is blocked when you clinch down the straps.

Seems like the Lima will solve these two issues.

I would pull the trigger and order a 5.11 Lima if it had a divider lengthwise.

So I'm still looking. Maybe what I have in mind doesn't exist.

$38 for black bag. I think mine is 15yrs old and looks brand new still. Thousands of range trips.
Same here on the time I have had mine. It works and is built well quite surprisingly for the price I paid for it back then, which was about the same price it is now.