• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good rangefinder, cheap Kestrel or vice-versa?

CybrSlydr

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2021
Casper, WY
I'd like your folks input. The Kestrel 5700 Elite is like... $800. The Bluetooth ability to pair with my phone and the Hornady 4DOF app is pretty sweet.

For $100 less, I could get a Vortex Razor HD 4000 GB rangefinder with a built-in ballistics calculator and get a relatively cheap anemometer to complete it.

Which is the better idea in your opinion?

So... Nobody has an opinion?

lol Must be the first time ever on an internet message board.

I'm personally a fan of the Sig kilo line. Sig kilo 3k is around $300-350.

"The KILO3K offers astounding performance, simplicity, and value, combining the industry’s fastest LightwaveTM DSP, Digital Signal Processing engine with streamlined setup and operation. KILO3K rangefinder modes of operation include Line-Of-Sight (LOS), Angle Modified Range (AMR), Archery Mode (ARCH), Applied Ballistics Ultralight (BDX-U), and Applied Ballistics External (BDX-X). In BDX-U mode, the KILO3K utilizes the shooters ballistic profile and measures environmental parameters in real-time to instantly calculate precise windage and elevation solutions in either MOA or MILS. This information is displayed in the rangefinder and is also communicated via Bluetooth™ to any paired BDX sight to provide the exact illuminated holdover aiming point."

Reactions: CybrSlydr
It depends on what you’re doing. I really enjoy having a kestrel because it’s a much tougher piece of equipment.

If you’re hunting at extended ranges then I could see the Binos with ballistic software being beneficial. Possibly also shooting on open land at natural targets.

If your shooting matches then all of the distances are provided to you unless noted.

I sold my ballistic rangefinder because it wasn’t getting used.

It depends on what you’re doing. I really enjoy having a kestrel because it’s a much tougher piece of equipment.

If you’re hunting at extended ranges then I could see the Binos with ballistic software being beneficial. Possibly also shooting on open land at natural targets.

If your shooting matches then all of the distances are provided to you unless noted.

I sold my ballistic rangefinder because it wasn’t getting used.
I'm considering utilizing BLM land to do my target shooting rather than trekking the 2.5hrs one-way to go to a range that goes over 1000yds, hence the rangefinder consideration. I'm not planning to hunt at all.

I was leaning towards the Kestrel, as you pointed out, if I do go and start competing then I'll know the distances. I wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something.

You can use your phone for the time being but I learned quickly I enjoyed the kestrel more just because the ruggedness.

I don’t worry about breaking it.

My opinion may be un-popular, but you don’t need the Elite level Kestrel unless you're regularly engaging targets past the transonic range.

If you’re planning on competing eventually-
Stand alone RF
Binos with reticle
Kestrel 5700

Starting out on the cheap-
Ballistics Arc app
A rangefinder
Cheapest bluetooth device to give you atmospherics

I went with a good Kestrel first bc thats the one piece of kit that is personalized to your rifle and load. I have friends with LRFs and/or the distances at matches were known so I felt like the LRF was a nice-to-have but not needed right away. Several months later I bit the bullet on a binos w/ LRF. Nothing says you have to buy everything at once.

I'm glad to see my thoughts mirroring most of yours - the Kestrel seemed to be the more useful of the two, especially since most of my shooting will be done at a range where I know the distances. Should I choose to compete, then those distances are known as well. Only if I could find a good place to go shoot on BLM land where I don't know the distances would it seem to be more useful. Hence why the Vortex appealed - ballistics computer minus real-time wind and a rangefinder.

I may just end up going with the Kestrel.