• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good read on .22 ammo

cattle buyer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2008
NE Decatur Co, SW GA
The test came out a while back. It will give you an idea on BEST and usually most expensive ammo. NOTHING is set in stone when it comes to .22 rimfire. a good place to start..
wink.gif
enjoy
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2012/04/22-lr-ammunition-accuracy-55-types-tested/

Re: Good read on .22 ammo

Thanks for posting this. I have been debating if I should buy up a bunch of Eley Match for shooting at 100-200 yards out of my CZ. I believe this helps me make my decision.

Never done any target work out to 200 with my 22 rimfires but a lot at 100, In my experience the 100 yard tells the tale and is where the high dollar stuff really shines. even with the best ammo Ive ever fired( 90's fed GM ultramatch- UM1) a little wind makes an ass outta me at 100..

the difference in my 40x at 200 yards between the eley match eps and something like eley practice or cci greentag...is about 5 inches diameter group size

Interesting to compare federal american eagle to federal match. Could just be noise in the test, but you would expect their match to perform better.

Yes, thanks for posting. Good food for thought. I would have thought the CCI would have done a little better.

Eley Tenex has worked best for me in my Savage at 100Y.

Green Tag is close but not as accurate.

I am not surprised with the results. Eley and Lapua ammo have always shot straight for me.

An ammo that was not tested but that has shot great for me in most all my .22's is Wolf MT ,I started out paying 3 /box at local pawn shop 3 -4 years ago,Wolf match extra did not shoot better so I did not pay the extra buck a box for it. the match target was absolute killer in my win 52C target out to 100. I think Lapua or S&K made it for Wolf. It has caught on in the 22 world and is almost 5 a box now. To me it was best bang for buck,somewhat better than Fed auto match as reflected in price.I have some top end stuff ordered to test in a Win 52C sporter that shows a lotta promise. Eley black box, wolf and Lapua center X .I will post range report..

I did a similar large round robin test through my Anschutz when I first got it. Anything stamped CCI was disappointing. Best ammo was Texnnex, folowed closely by RWS R50 and Lapua Midas. However, Wolf Match was not far down the list, and for the cost, it was a clear winner for me. I have a bunch of results - I whould assemble a post one of these days. Best bulk-ish ammo was Federal Champion (Lead 40gr round nose, 1200 fps).

Casey

Good discussion.

I've had good results with federal american eagle .22LR. I should try some of the higher end stuff to see if I get an improvement.

MT for off-hand shooting and Match Extra for the bench-- hard to beat that combo in alot of guns.

Thanks for the article. There are some manufacturers I've never even seen before & am now going to check them out!

Shot a bunch of the Federal Auto Match this weekend out of my S&W MP-15-22 and seemed pretty accurate and no malfunctions. We were just plinking, so no hi-tech accuracey reports, but seemed to hit what we were pointing at (mostly golf balls at 50-75 yds.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cattle buyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> An ammo that was not tested but that has shot great for me in most all my .22's is Wolf MT ,I started out paying 3 /box at local pawn shop 3 -4 years ago,Wolf match extra did not shoot better so I did not pay the extra buck a box for it. the match target was absolute killer in my win 52C target out to 100. I think Lapua or S&K made it for Wolf. It has caught on in the 22 world and is almost 5 a box now. To me it was best bang for buck,somewhat better than Fed auto match as reflected in price.I have some top end stuff ordered to test in a Win 52C sporter that shows a lotta promise. Eley black box, wolf and Lapua center X .I will post range report..</div></div>

As odd as it sounds I also had excellent resutls with Wold, as good or better then eley even. I know we are not alone in these findings.

I bought about 10 billionn rounds of wolf as a result, i am very happy with there .22