• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good replacement for Black Hills 68gr match?

BigBrother

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2007
New England
Hey all- wasn't exactly sure where this belonged, it was a toss up between exterior ballistics and rifles, since it has to do with both.

I settled on this specific BH ammo a while back for competition:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=135288

Out of my Bushmaster Varminter- 1x9, 24" barrel. Accurate as can be, no problems, great out to 600, etc.

When I did my first test, I went with Hornady, Federal Gold, and Black Hills, and Black Hills Red Box won in accuracy.

Well, Black Hills is ridiculously backed up now with no availability in sight. So, I need to probably <sniff> abandon my first choice and branch out.

What else would you guys recommend? I can't handload for many logisitical reasons right now, so I need to buy.

So, what comparable .223 should I go with?

Thanks a lot!
-BB

Re: Good replacement for Black Hills 68gr match?

all 223 ammo is tough to find right now.......so it might be a case of using what you can find.

I have always had good luck with all the Hornady loadings out of my AR's. FGMM in 223 never really seemed to live up to its 308 reputation for me.

you might also want to try the 75gr loadings. Some will stablize out of some 1:9 barrels. It depends if you've got a fast or slow 1:9.....if that makes sense. Supposedly the Hornady was specifically loaded to stabilize in 1:9 barrels....
If you can find a 75gr load that works, it will at least increase your options.

Thanks. Looks like a lot of the good stuff is out all around
frown.gif

Damn, I miss you Black Hills. Shot awesome and nowhere near as expensive as some of this other stuff- $1.3 a round. Yikes.

And I hear ya on FGM- for some reason Black Hills was the winner for me in .223, and Federal hands down in .308.

You need to start reloading, then you can play with the loads and eak more accueracy out.

Wish I could but like I said in the OP, I can't handload for many logistical reasons right now, so I need to buy.