• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Good rifled slug gun recommendation?

medbill

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2003
www.america4rmarines.org
Hey guys I need a rifled slug shotgun next year and figured the winter would be a good time to start doing some research. So far I am looking at the Savage, the H&R and the discontinued Mossberg. I am thinking the Savage is probably the best out of the bunch but would love to hear from some shooters.

Re: Good rifled slug gun recommendation?

Ithaca deer slayer

I love my Thompson Center Encore 26" 20 gauge from TC's custom shop. It holds MOA at 100 yards with Hornady SST slugs. Its light weight, accurate and you can swap out barrels. I have a .50 muzzle loader, 20 gauge slug, 20 gauge turkey barrel, and a 26" .308 win barrel. TC is the way to go!

my mossberg 500 trophy slugster will stack lightfield and hastings slugs into a cloverleaf at 100 yards. Recoil is SICK though. Next slug gun will be a 20ga. no need for the extra thump of the 12ga..the 20's are just fine.

The big thing with rifled slug barrels is finding the slugs your barrel likes to shoot. Alot of guys who have the mossberg barrel swear by the Remington copper solids - mine won't shoot them for crap.

A couple of thoughts.

The Savage 220 has very good reviews, especially regarding accuracy. Hovever, early reports also suggest some minor mechanical issues.

I have a medical issue that limits my recoil tolerance. I have found that 20ga slug and sabot guns deliver highly adequate terminal performance, and may shoot flatter and more accurately. So much so that I only keep my 12ga 870 as a loaner gun these days.

Contrary to popular wisdom, I have found that ordinary rifled slugs (i.e. Rem 20ga Slugger) shoot remarkably accurately from an aftermarket rifled choke, sufficiently well to replicate in all reasonable respects the performance of my Win 94AE .44Mag Trapper Carbine. This from an relatively inexpensive Charles Daly 20ga semi.

Greg

I'm looking at the same thing. My 1st choice is the Savage 220F. 2nd choice is the H&R Ultra, due to the price differential. Here in MO, you can use a rifle in deer season, so my slug gun is for "slug only zones". I have a 12ga.Rem. 870 with a rifled slug barrel and the thing loosens my eye teeth every time I shoot it. I am looking at the 20ga. due to less recoil and still plenty of energy for deer at max. slug range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JasonB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my mossberg 500 trophy slugster will stack lightfield and hastings slugs into a cloverleaf at 100 yards. Recoil is SICK though. Next slug gun will be a 20ga. no need for the extra thump of the 12ga..the 20's are just fine.

The big thing with rifled slug barrels is finding the slugs your barrel likes to shoot. Alot of guys who have the mossberg barrel swear by the Remington copper solids - mine won't shoot them for crap. </div></div>

This is pretty much what I have. I've got a mossberg 500 crown grade. One of the reasons I got it is because it came with a good cantilever rail/slug barrel and a good ported shotgun barrel. It also came with 2 cheek risers, one for the slug barrel and one for the smoothbore. The cheek risers work great and I've been very pleased with the shotgun.

When I got the shotgun I ran just about every major manufacturer of slug through the gun and settled on remington copper solids. They shot lights out, clovers @ 100 yards and readily available at almost every walmart and sporting goods store around here.

For a stand gun (single shot) go with the H&R. 2 guys I hunt with have them with 1.5X5 Leupolds mounted and they shoot great. Shot the same spot year after year.

Good luck

Jerry

The Savage would be my hands down choice. I have shot an older 210 that is extremely accurate. I would however, go with either the 220 or wait until the new 212 comes out if you prefer 12 gauge. The Accutrigger and the detachable mag are both improvements seen in the 220 that will also be found in the 212.

rem. 11-87 special purpose..... (cantilevered scope )firepower... and low/no recoil...
omho mileage may vary...
bill larson

+1 on Savage 220. I have and hunt with one that I bought from a hide member this year. The rifle is light, points well, and is dead-on. I get 1-1.5 inch groups at 100 yards with Rem 3in Accutips. Just cycle the bolt hard, and it works well (must use the EGW base for reliable shell ejection).

If i had the slug gun thing to do over again, i'd get a single shot 20 guage with an integral scope mount running a good 2x red dot. they are a joy to carry all day, the 20 guage doesn't kick nearly as hard as the 12, and to be honest, the ONLY reason i pack my 500 full of slugs is to add some weight to it to keep some of the sting out of the recoil. I can't find a good butt pad for the Speedfeed3 tactical stock so i'm stuck with the hard rubber one and it just does NOTHING for the recoil.

There's some hastings barrels left at www.slugsrus.com and I believe he has some for the H&R too...the hastings 16 guage barrels are nice but unfortunately hastings is now out of biz, so you won't be able to get their ammo anymore either.

Thanks my buddy has a Mossberg 695 which is discontinued and he just got back and he took a buck in the midwest at 212 yards. My mouth is still hanging open, I can't believe what these slug guns will do. Now what about special shotgun scopes with holdovers for a slug gun any thoughts on those?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A couple of thoughts.

The Savage 220 has very good reviews, especially regarding accuracy. Hovever, early reports also suggest some minor mechanical issues.

I have a medical issue that limits my recoil tolerance. I have found that 20ga slug and sabot guns deliver highly adequate terminal performance, and may shoot flatter and more accurately. So much so that I only keep my 12ga 870 as a loaner gun these days.

Contrary to popular wisdom, I have found that ordinary rifled slugs (i.e. Rem 20ga Slugger) shoot remarkably accurately from an aftermarket rifled choke, sufficiently well to replicate in all reasonable respects the performance of my Win 94AE .44Mag Trapper Carbine. This from an relatively inexpensive Charles Daly 20ga semi.

Greg </div></div>

I don't have the best shoulder/neck myself so I am leaning towards a 20ga. What were the minor problems with the Savage 220? Have they got it resolved, I haven't been able to find anything other than some people using the wrong scope bases?

I bought a 220 this year. Great grouping, a little more kick shooting the three inch Federal / Barnes loads than 2 3/4". Not at all happy with the ejection. Need to work on that in the off season. The mag is plastic and is a pain to engage. I may look to change it as well. I DO like the way it shoots.
Mike

I'd not prefer a single shot. That's why I chose the S/G over the Muzzle Loader.

Last two years, my county has been opened up for C/F Rifle and a lot of this topic has become moot. Nowadays I carry either .30-'06 or .280 Rem bolt action repeaters.

Greg

I shoot a Mossberg 695 and have been relatively happy with it. One shot kills are the norm.

The factory triggers are everything you'd expect from a shotgun manufacturer, heavy and sloppy. But the gun has been reliable and a trigger job helps immensely.

That being said the Savage 220F has definately raised the bar. Everything from the trigger to the magazine construction is an improvement over the Mossberg. If my dealer could get some more in stock I'm sure that there's a trade in my future.

I shot a few slug guns before making my decision to by one. I bought the H & R Ultra Slug Hunter. Accuracy was one of my major concerns after shooting a few with non fixed barrels. It is very accurate and the price was right. It is also very heavy for a single shot. But you will be glad it is heavy when sighting it in. It kicks like a mule. I got it in a 12, but would probably get a 20 if I had to do it all over again.

Those of you using remington 870 you should replace the stock with a Black Hawk knoxx recoil reducing stock. My 13yo boy shot his first deer using that set up. It feels like your shooting a 410. Plus you get the added advantage of the pistol grip and adjustable buttstock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: El Shavewa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot a Mossberg...(snip)

The factory triggers are everything you'd expect from a shotgun manufacturer, heavy and sloppy. But the gun has been reliable and a trigger job helps immensely...(snip)</div></div>

Have you SEEN a new mossberg 500 slug gun on the shelf lately? They are shipping with the same adjustable rifle triger found on the ATR and 4x4 series rifles now. I have called them asking if a retrofit is available for older 500's and was told "not YET"...but the minute they come in, count me in for one. My trigger isn't bad anymore, but I put more work into it than most people would. Most would have said "bah...it's a shotgun...the trigger SHOULD feel like a cinderblock being dragged thru a gravel driveway." but since my 500 is pretty much a dedicated slug gun, this just didn't set well with me and I went to work polishing all contact surfaces in my trigger group. it's now very crisp...6 lbs of crisp...but crisp and creep free nevertheless. Still...i want one of the LPA triggers from mossberg. I may have to find room in my budget for another shotty - and this one will be the 20ga 500 with the cantilever rifled barrel.

i like the look and feel of the savage 220's, and would probably go the 12 gauge route when the 12 ga model is reintroduced.

i had a bug to buy one last year, but was also wanting a "smooth bored barrel" with the intent of getting a removable choke setup installed, but couldn't find that type of barrel available. i think the "novelty" of going spring turkey hunting with turkey loads or coyote hunting with coyote loads and choke combos would be killer with a blot action shotgun that actually looks and feels like a centerfire. i'm told that running those typw of loads through the rifled barrel ruins the rifling, so i'm torn to buy one. i also think stocks that are available for savage 110 actions are able to be put on, along with other 110 actioned goodies.

my 870 12 guage shoots slugs and everything else quite well with the smooth barrel and a compuchoke I.C., under 4" 5 round slug groups out to 100yards, don't know if it would be smaller with a rifled barrel.

Hunting out in the midwest a 200 yard shot is very possible with a slug gun. I didn't know they stopped making the Savage in 12 gauge was it due to problems and a redesign?

What are you guys using for optics on your dedicated slug guns?

mine still has the original bushnell 1.5-4.5x25 (or is it 30?) and I have plans to upgrade when (if) it fails to a different scope. I'll cross that bridge when it comes.

I'm thinking of getting one of the dedicated shotgun scopes out there with holdover's already on the reticle. I don't know how accurate they are given the many different slugs available but I am betting they are close enough and once you get some range time under you belt they should be good to go. Any advice or experience I am all ears. I want to whack a monster in Iowa with a slug gun...thats my goal.

The two I use in Ohio are a Savage and Browning A-bolt in 12ga.
Both like the Federal 3in mag sabotted slugs and are
accurate to 150yds. The removable magazine in the Browning is
easier to load than the non-removable in the Savage (which is
its biggest flaw. Both kick like a mule (but get the job done.

I noticed Iowa allows muzzleloaders during shotgun season. What
I use in Ohio when I will be hunting an area where longer shots
may be possible is a Savage ML2. Loaded with VV powder and a
300gr sabotted projectile it is a 300yd combination...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmileMaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The two I use in Ohio are a Savage and Browning A-bolt in 12ga.
Both like the Federal 3in mag sabotted slugs and are
accurate to 150yds. The removable magazine in the Browning is
easier to load than the non-removable in the Savage (which is
its biggest flaw. Both kick like a mule (but get the job done.

I noticed Iowa allows muzzleloaders during shotgun season. What
I use in Ohio when I will be hunting an area where longer shots
may be possible is a Savage ML2. Loaded with VV powder and a
300gr sabotted projectile it is a 300yd combination... </div></div>

Now that is news to me about Iowa's shotgun/muzzleloader deal. That is a game changer right there. My buddy has that model Savage I think. I bet he wished he knew that before he went out there. That kinda changes everything...thanks for the info! I've doing the bow thing out there and decided when I am lucky enough to draw a tag I would like to try my luck with a shotgun.

I just got the new 500 deer/turkey combo with the adjustable trigger. I am having a problem with the rear sight ramp but other than that it looks and feels great. I shot it yesterday with open sights and was very pleased with the results. Cheap winchester slugs from Wally world performed very well. I have not adjusted the trigger yet as it is light as hell and I see not need to fool with it. For $375 it is like a sore wiener, pretty hard to beat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got the new 500 deer/turkey combo with the adjustable trigger. I am having a problem with the rear sight ramp but other than that it looks and feels great. I shot it yesterday with open sights and was very pleased with the results. Cheap winchester slugs from Wally world performed very well. I have not adjusted the trigger yet as it is light as hell and I see not need to fool with it. For $375 it is like a sore wiener, pretty hard to beat. </div></div>

Which barrel did you get? There's a few of them out there...20-26", vented or not, accu choke or not, rifled, etc.

Mine is the 22" rifled ported barrel with two sets of ports, at 10 and 2 oclock. I spoke with (supposedly) the guy who designed the sabot slug for Lightfield...story has it he sold the slug design to lighfield, but when they moved production of their ammo overseas, he took the design to Hastings and began their slug ammunition business. Hastings started going under, so he started selling the same slugs, and the "badminton birdies/ stabilizers" along with primed hulls and the roll crimping kits from www.slugsrus.com - then, right after Hastings folded, he took the same design to RWS to have them manufacture the ammo. I have yet to see anything from RWS, but I imagine it will still be kinda scarce until after Cheaper than Dirt gets their hands on it, and he starts selling again directly from slugrus.com - where am i going with this? Nearly everyone I know who has a 500 with the rifled ported barrel shoots the lightfields, hastings, and remington buckhammer slugs VERY well. give them a try.

He also took the time to explain to me how the ports in the mossberg barrel may actually inhibit some accuracy when firing a slug that stays attached to the wad. The vents "shave off" bits of plastic and since these shavings are not symmetrical, it can cause some instability to the round. Probably won't show up in the first 50 or so yards, but certainly would show up out past 100 yards. It could affect any sabot slug too. His recommendation was to either completely cut the barrel just short of the ports, or duplicate the ports at the 6 o'clock position to keep the ports even, or even just drill completely thru the barrel to the other side resulting in 4 sets of ports. I don't think i will be cutting my barrel or drilling new ports, but his claims instability IMO held SOME merit. I just can't tinker with 1-3" groups from a slug gun...it shoots too damn good to monkey with.

Not to argue with anyone. You may want to check on the net for Iowa DNR, to check regulations. There are two seperate seasons listed for Muzzleloader and ShotGun. I THINK in ILL you can use either, but you'd have to check on that as well, since I am in MO and familiar with "our" rules only.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patriotoutlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to argue with anyone. You may want to check on the net for Iowa DNR, to check regulations. There are two seperate seasons listed for Muzzleloader and ShotGun. I THINK in ILL you can use either, but you'd have to check on that as well, since I am in MO and familiar with "our" rules only. </div></div>

Sounds advice, here in NY you can hunt with the more "primitive" weapon during any season and in areas that are shotgun only, muzzleloader is fine to use during any of the big game seasons besides bow of course.

From Iowa's DNR

regs.jpg

http://www.iowadnr.gov/law/files/huntingregs.pdf

The Savage does not do too bad, but not to my liking. But the most accurate ones I have seen have been the Encore barrels in 20 gauge. But the 12 gauge does well also. But definitely the Encore. Tom.

H&R Ultra Slug in 20ga.. I have owned 2 and would'nt get
anything else. It is a little heavy but accurate as hell.
Good Luck!

If you are legally allowed to use an inline muzzeloader in that shotgun only state, then I'd exercise that option EVERY time...

I predominantly hunt deer in a 'shotgun only' area in NY and I faithfully use my .50cal Encore throughout the season. Before that, I toted a rifled barreled Mossberg 835 shooting 3.5" Lightfield sabots. That fawker was not terribly pleasant to shoot! "Brutal" would be more like it...

IF I did HAVE to use a slug gun, it'd be a 20ga rifled tube shooting Barnes Expander sabots (Federal). Not cheap fodder, but they have real good ballistics, far as shottys go. And those Barnes pills will flat smash a whitetail down (my buddy uses this combo with good success).

But it ain't nuthin' that a .50cal muzzleloader won't do...as good or better!

good luck!

When I used slugs, many of our county's have also recently allowed rifles, I had good success with an 870 with.....a Remington rifled choke tube and the high velocity sabots.

Don't think they make them anymore, but if you can find a Browning A bolt used I'd grab it. With Lightfield 1.25 oz/s mine will shoot a big cloverleaf at 100 yards. Only drawback is that it's light and kicks like a mule.

find an old 870 and throw a hastings rifled barrel on it. I've owned two and both could touch rounds at 50yrds

I have the 212 and love it, Me and my buddies do alot of long range shooting and as we have discussed on ELR beyond a 1000 yards, have hits at 633 yards and threw dirt on an 8" plate at 750 not hitting it; ran out of scope. This started out as just shits and giggles but we were all blown away by its accuracy and consistancy. Check out the forum.

Should I leave the ugly ass sticker on the stock?
I have heard that removing it can change point of impact at range!
Warning! To Hide members. This is a joke and only a joke!
Meant only to piss off longslugger!
Do not contact Savage about the sticker !
Just pulling your chain Big Guy!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Larson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">rem. 11-87 special purpose..... (cantilevered scope )firepower... and low/no recoil...
omho mileage may vary...
bill larson </div></div>+1 on this. I use Federal Premium with Barnes Expanders. Kinda like you hit them in the head with a creek rock. Only thing, with 3" shells there is some recoil. Thinking about going back to 2 3/4". Kills just as dead and easy on the shoulder.

I had an old Mossberg 695 that I inherited from my father. It was accurate, despite a horrible trigger. A couple of detractors though. With a scope the safety was hard to manipulate. The magazine catch was a joke, and the mag sometimes dropped from recoil.

I have a Mossberg 500 with a slug barrel. Its a great slug gun, reliable and accurate. The only problem I have with it, it is too noisy to still hunt with. The forend rattles a little if you aren't careful.

My go to slug gun is now an H&R Ultra Slug Hunter in 20ga. Topped it with a 2-7x scope. I really like this gun, but I am considering an upgrade to the Savage 220.

I have an 870 Remington with a fully rifled barrel and rifle sights that I have owned for 4 or 5 years now, I shoot winchester rifled slugs through it as it is the only thing that will pattern... I tried all the sabots I could get my hands on and they didnt work for this gun. I have taken around 40 deer with this gun....

Mossy 835 Ultramag with 3" Federal Barnes expanders. The thing is lights out with Sabot slugs!

Last year i bought a Browning Maxus 3" MODB for waterfowl and my shotgun season was closing in. i wanted to pick up a sluggun but instead i decided to just buy a rifled choke tube! i will tell you, i am extremely impressed with them!!! My 2 best friends also bought guns for waterfowl and decided to test out the rifled choke tubes and everyone was getting exception accuracy. At 50 yards my maxus would throw the slugs from hell to kingdom come. After the choke, i was getting 2" groups at 100 yards and took a deer at 125 yards last year!

Find a rifle choke tube that works for your gun, test it before buying a hole new shotgun. 60 bucks for a choke, 400-1500 on a shotgun