• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good rilfes do make you better or a new GAP lover

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2007
Glacier Valley Alaska
SavageStag and I got in some range work yesterday. We compared match ammo; GMM 175, Buffalo Bore 175 and Hornady 168 Amax. But basically we were out to have some fun.

Chrono tests;

Horn spread 2772 - 2699
BB spread 2715 - 2640 = 2677 average
GMM spread 2677 - 2650 = 2665 average

We then compared groups at 300. I measured them today edge to edge. SavageStag shot about 3" five shot groups with Amax. I was in the 1.75" range with BB, I pulled out GMM, 6 shot group was 1.25". SavageStag jumped behind the GAP and pulled off 1.1" 3 shot group, stood up with a huge smile.

While it can argumentative, our day did show that a better rifle does in fact make you a better shooter.

OK SavageStag, when you calling George at GAP?
laugh.gif

The funny about our day was, we were trying to range moving ice bergs out in the inlet. We guessed at their size, mil'd, SavageStag put data into his hand held. We then tried to lead them. Not even close. We walked down to the waters edge and our ranging / ice berg size was way off and we shot way over the top. Now our ranging and leads were close but I was out of ammo and SavageStag at least once sounded like he hit one, did not see splash with spotting scope.

Had a good day and a good day of learning.

Re: Good rilfes do make you better or a new GAP lover

That was a lot of fun. Too bad one of us doesn't work at SW so we could get a good discount on a Range Finder
wink.gif
Then we might be able to hit one of those "movers"

Also, I'm not calling George because I called Mike. It just may be a while before I have a gun that can keep up with yours.
That's right, I'm blaming the gun.
grin.gif

Sooo... Thursday?

Re: Good rilfes do make you better or a new GAP lover

can't say many people on here get the opportunity to laser icebergs but it sounds like a cool day. I did a tour on Ft Richardson and had a great time. What a beautiful place to be. Enjoy it while you can.