• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good scale around $150

Inkoosikas

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2020
La Grande, Oregon
Hello, I am looking for advice on a decent reliable powder scale. I currently have a Frankford Arsenal scale that I am really not happy with. It seems to be fairly consistent on its weight, however my biggest complaint is that it jumps when trickling powder. So for example I've been using 41.8gr of rl16 and when I'm trickling it will often jump from 41.7 to 41.9 or 42.0, it does this even when trickling extremely slow.

A friend recommended the Dillon scale, but I wanted a second opinion and maybe some extra in put.

Thanks!

I don’t think you will ever regret buying a Dillon determinator. I’ve had mine 15 years and use it on occasion to double check my chargemaster. Fast, reliable, precise and durable.

My determinator sucks for trickling...wish i had a beam scale.

Also have a hornady bench scale, and while it is ok for trickling...it wanders too much, so i double check the trickled charge on the dillon.

I recommend neither....but the hornady shows trickle increases...the dillon wont register them without reseting the pan every kernel.

For $150....get a beam scale and use your frankford to double check.

Shred

Reactions: High Desert duck

Also have a hornady bench scale, and while it is ok for trickling...it wanders too much, so i double check the trickled charge on the dillon.

I recommend neither....but the hornady shows trickle increases...the dillon wont register them without reseting the pan every kernel.

Shred

What beam scale would you recommend?

Shred

Thats odd, I have never had a problem trickling in with my determinatior.

Throwing small charges with the chargemaster is a PITA

OP: the RCBS beam is great.

Keep the FA for now. Program it to stop a tenth or two short and then trickle up. While doing that, save your pennies for a Auto Trickler v3 setups or one of the new RCBS Matchmaster units.
For the difference in price I would surely go with the auto trickler V3 over the Matchmaster when you get over 1000 bucks I don’t think RCBS can hang with the V3

A Scott Parker tuned beam scale if you can fine one.

Scott Parker will hand tune up a variety of good beam scales, no cheap chinese made ones. But hes got a constant line of complaints about wait times and people not able to get their stuff back from him so I would never consider it, even if I were to consider a beam scale.

Buy a cheap little rcbs used beam for 50 bucks on ebay and call it good enough to trickle up and verify on in the mean time if you feel the FA isnt good enough. Itll be slow. Very slow to trickle up and verify every charge. And set it up high on something so you arent craning your neck down looking at it.

Personally I wouldnt drop a cent on any scale other than a chargemaster on sale for 250 or an autothrow set up when you really gt serious about not wasting time. Just stick to the FA scale until you can.

I've used beams, Frankford, GemPro250, and currently have a ChargeMaster 1500. The CM1500 was big step up and actually threw really reliably once I got it dialed in and on a power cleaner. That said, I'm currently waiting on delivery of a V3 Auto throw/trickler/120i.

If I were you I would save for now and get a ChargeMaster lite. They go up for sale used here often, just be quick. In the mean time, start stashing $ away for a V3. No matter what... you will end up there.

Reactions: never_summer
Thats odd, I have never had a problem trickling in with my determinatior.

Throwing small charges with the chargemaster is a PITA

OP: the RCBS beam is great.
Which dterminator do you have? I believe there are two version...mine wont trickle. I can trickle almost a whole grain of powder until it shows the increase unless i bump the pan every kernel.

As far as a beam scale goes....ive never had one, take the advice of these guys.

Shred

Which dterminator do you have? I believe there are two version...mine wont trickle. I can trickle almost a whole grain of powder until it shows the increase unless i bump the pan every kernel.

As far as a beam scale goes....ive never had one, take the advice of these guys.

Shred

I’ve had mine over 15 years, I don’t know the version. I do think a good beam scale would be easier with some practice to trickle with.

Until I got my chargemaster, I trickled every rifle round I ever made with that scale (not counting .223 bulk blasting ammo). Perhaps not as much as many but I’ve gone through at the very least an 8# jug of varget trickling on that Dillon.

I've used the Dillon Dterminators for decades. Went through two of the old models and when the last one died 3 or so years ago, I bought the newest, updated version. The newest one works well to my satisfaction. It does drift occasionally, but I have check weights close by to check. It trickles all right. I'm satisfied with it.

Thanks for all the input folks! So it turns out that my grandfather used to own a lab, I was talking with him about my reloading and I mentioned the scale issue I was having. Well apparently he has a $2000 lab scale he is going to let me have. So that could solve my problem, I don't know what it is yet, just that it's a precision scientific scale.

The lab scale is a score! Keep in mind calibration - even on those scales - is key.

If you decide to go with a beam an older, US made scale in good condition and properly tuned is a rock solid option. It's slower than a chargemaster but very accurate. I'd recommend the 10-0-5 to 5-0-5 (Ohaus / RCBS) rather than the 10-10 mentioned above though. The 10-10 has a threaded weight / poise and I had issues with it staying calibrated and spoke with others that had issues as well. These older scales are regularly available on eBay or from used gear guys at gun shows and, since the 10-10s are more popular (they were more expensive so I think many perceived them to be "better"), the -05 type scales are a better deal. The US made Redding #2 scales are great as well. I have a of scale tuned by Mr. Parker and it is rock solid. I use my chargemaster more but still use the beam quite often. His turnaround is slow - one of mine took a few months - but he'll come through.

Last edited:
I use an RCBS CM to meter charges but I double check it on an old Mettler Toledo analytical balance. The Mettler is accurate to 1/100 of a grain. The CM has trouble accurately metering to + or - .2 grains. The 2 scales have 2 different types of weigh cells. The CM uses a strain guage and this type of unit struggles with zero drift. The Mettler uses a magnetic field and measures the electrical current required to resist the mass acting on it and converts this to a numerical value. The Fxi of the AutoTrickler is s the same as the Mettler. In my opinion, when you're aiming for .1gr accuracy or better a strain guage type scale just won't cut it. You need a milligram precision analytical balance like the Mettlers, or Sartorius or AnD. Or, a beam scale. I think the beam scale is just as accurate, it's just slower.

I used a Dillon D- Terminator for about 15 years. It finally wore out so I just purchased a new one. Dillon only has a one year warranty on electronics, but you can get a new D- terminator for $85 out the door price. I check the electronic against a beam scale and the electronic is always accurate.

I used a Dillon D- Terminator for about 15 years. It finally wore out so I just purchased a new one. Dillon only has a one year warranty on electronics, but you can get a new D- terminator for $85 out the door price. I check the electronic against a beam scale and the electronic is always accurate.

A new Dillon D-Terminator scale is $140.00 from the few sources that sell them. Where are you finding them for $85.00 OTD?

I have been using a GemPro 250 for years now. It's a little more money than $150 but this scale couple with a precision weight set has never let me down. It *is* extremely sensitive to shot like air currents and vibrations and magnetic fields (like yer cell phone or a microwave) and ya can't leave it sit ina hostile environment because it is not built to be abused. Used appropriately it is extremely accurate and mine has never let me down in like 12 years now.

I check calibration with check weights before every charging session and it has *never* failed to read even a .5 gr. check weight accurately.

VooDoo

Dillon only warrants electrical products for one year, but they will let you exchange you old non working D-Terminator scale for $85. You phone tech support and get a RMA #, send your old non working D-Terminator and $85. Dillon will send you a new D-Terminator scale. My last scale lasted over 15 years. I hope my new scale lasts that long. Dillon products are excellent and Customer Support is outstanding.

Old Made in USA.
Ohaus 10-10
RCBC 10-10
Lyman M5

Send em out to Scott Parker, have it tuned, repeatable and accurate. Worth the money
The scales pop-up from time to time at your normal place. You can get them cheap some times
like new , with box and paper work. Think the last one I bought was $45 shipped in box looked
brand new a few months ago.

A Scott Parker tuned beam scale if you can fine one.

Very very overrated. I had two Redding’s from him. Gave one away. Other sits in a box collecting dust. The two poise beams take way too long to settle and I can’t resolve nearly as well as I can on my three poise Dillon eliminator. I found them to be no more repeatable either. I did stone the prisms on the beam and rig a needle indicator for it. Also filled it with plaster of Paris for added heft. I trust it more than my AutoTrickler if I’m honest.

Old 10-10 and 5-0-5 scales are awesome.
I use my 5-0-5 to set my powder throws and keep my Hornandy electronic powder measure honest.