• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Good scope for 1000 yards?

AeroEngi

Private
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Hey guys, just wanted to get your opinions. I have a Remington 700p in .308 and I wanted to get the Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 4.5-14x50. Would this be a good scope if I wanted to eventually shoot up to 1000 yards?

Thanks for the advice!

Re: Good scope for 1000 yards?

Does it have enough magnification power? I've never shot at that range so I'm not sure. Thanks for the reply.

It will work fine, some (like me )prefer 22 or 20 power. the scope you picked has 100 moa so it has plenty to get you there.Make sure you use at least a 20 moa base( I prefer 40 moa).
Your rig sounds capable as you have described .

Have fun,
Sandbogg

10x is sufficient to make hit @ 1000 yards. Some of my scopes are max out @ 10x-22x. I use the higher magnifications settings to collect information of the target like a spotting scope and turn it down to a optimal range to engage it. Higher magnification can cause mirage and smaller FOV. Lower magnification will help you engage moving target a lot better too.

I have Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 4.5-14x50 (just bought another one today from here :)) and love it. Even though the furthest shot was only @ 800 yards with it. I haven't have time or place try out a 1000 yards yet
frown.gif
. Same with my NF NSX 5.5-22x56, but it made a hell of a spotting scope
grin.gif

So pick a scope that will suit you and what you want to do with it.

PS: I thought I told you to run away from here no? lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tommy5.56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">10x is sufficient to make hit @ 1000 yards. Some of my scopes are max out @ 10x-22x. I use the higher magnifications settings to collect information of the target like a spotting scope and turn it down to a optimal range to engage it. Higher magnification can cause mirage and smaller FOV. Lower magnification will help you engage moving target a lot better too.

I have Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 4.5-14x50 (just bought another one today from here :)) and love it. Even though the furthest shot was only @ 800 yards with it. I haven't have time or place try out a 1000 yards yet
frown.gif
. Same with my NF NSX 5.5-22x56, but it made a hell of a spotting scope
grin.gif

So pick a scope that will suit you and what you want to do with it.

PS: I thought I told you to run away from here no? lol
</div></div>

Thanks Tommy! I'm here to stay lol. What more can a guy want than talk about guns with such helpful people! I believe that scope will fit well with what I want to do so I think I'll go for it. Thanks again!

Thanks for the link! My buddy found me a brand new one for $1039 so we'll see what happens.

I sure feel like a noob though. I thought I knew a lot about guns but after joining this site, I feel like a super noob lol.

Depends what you'll eventually shoot at. If it's plates, casual shooting or some hunting, then 10x is fine. If you are punching paper and need to hit the tighter rings for a score, then you need more. If you are going to shoot from a field - level stabilizer such as a bipod, fine. If you are shooting a higher magnification scope you want to be on a solid bench or the reticle will be bouncing all over.

A general rule for people with normal eyesight is 1x per 100 yards. If you are target shooting, I'd say 1.5x, which is what you are talking about. Match shooting - 2x. Look at it this way, a man at 1000 yards with a 10x scope is the same as naked eye (assuming normal eyesight) at 100 yards.

I had a 10x for long range - plates and possible real world use. Fine.

BTW, you're also doing yourself a favor by the low zoom ratio of the scope 3:1 . That scope should also be fine as far as internal adjustment, which is something you need to watch if you look at other scopes. If you intend to dial in ranges on the elevation turret, keep in mind you need about 300 inches, maybe a bit more off the top of my head, for the 1000 yards. That means about 30 moa.

I'm mostly going to be shooting at plates and some hunting. I'm definitely not going to do the hunting at 1000 yards though. Thanks rj!

I have used that same type of scope out to 1500 yards with my .308, so you should be fine at 1000 yards. You should also be able to see your holes at 100, which makes it pretty easy to sight in with just a few rounds.

That scope would be good to go (the mark 4)

Pick one up for cheap if you can.

Otherwise a Nightforce NXS will get you there and is a better scope all round...

*awaits flames*

I run a lot of scopes on my setup that are 17x and under and they work great all they way out to 1k. I know some guys like more power.

I would look at Nightforce and for the Leupold I would look at doing a Leupold Mark 4 M5 FFP. I do not like the MOA turret with MIL RET myself.

Here is a link to Leupold Mark 4 M5 4.5-14x50mm.

Mike @ CST