• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Good scope or Good rifle?

rackchaser71

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2010
myakka city FL
you have 1000$ for a new factory rifle thats not going to be customized in any way other than floating and bedding, would you pay 300$ for a marlin xs7 with a 700$ scope or 700$ for a remington700 with a 300$ scope? the gun would be for deer with no shots past 500yrds. .308

Re: Good scope or Good rifle?

I don't know anything about the Marlin but if it were me, I get a Savage 10FP. They can be had for about 600 new and you can find a good used one cheaper. Then I would get a Vortex Viper 6.5-20X50. They're 500 buck new and one hell of a good scope!

Well...of the two rifles mentioned in this thread, the Marlin is a better choice as a hunting rifle. In many ways the Marlin is an "improved" version of the Savage.

The Savage 10fp is really too heavy, especially when you combine that with a 6-20x scope that is also on the heavy end and way overpowered for deer hunting. That sounds like a 13# plus rig. That is too heavy for comfortable carry, so those choices are going in the wrong direction for the goals you stated.

Personally, I would look at a Howa sporter in .308 for about $400, or a Remington SPS sporter. You have enough $$$ for a Remington 700 LTR. That is a solid rifle with a better stock. It's a little heavier, but is an excellent dual-purpose hunting/light tactical rig.

For optics, a Bushnell 4200 3-9 scope for $250, or a Burris 3-9 with a Ballistic Reticle for $175...or a Leupold FX 3 in 6x which is an excellent hunting scope for a little more.

There are many more optics choices, but any of these are rugged with decent glass and would get you by on the bottom end of pricing. The Bushnell is excellent glass for the money and is very rugged. All three would be plenty for hunting deer out to 600 yds or so.

Depending on what direction you go, you might have some money left over for ammo and a rangefinder which is an important piece of gear.

TC

Howa 1500 and Bushnell Elite

or

Remington 700 and Bushnell Elite

Im from Australia, so prices are different here, but thats what i would go for on a budget. If your not sooting long distance you dont really need epic magnification so the scope should be fine with lower magnification powers and will obviously cost less.

Both of those actions are solid and wont let you down

Whatever combo you go with, crappy rings will defeat it.

You can't skimp on rings, and expect a good shooter.

ive always had good luck with the cheap leupold and weaver rings from walmart all the way up to a .300mag. maybe ive just been getting lucky<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: garandman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whatever combo you go with, crappy rings will defeat it.

You can't skimp on rings, and expect a good shooter.

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rackchaser71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ive always had good luck with the cheap leupold and weaver rings from walmart all the way up to a .300mag. maybe ive just been getting lucky[ </div></div>

Field gun, or benchrest gun?

For a field gun, you have to think both about recoil, and the rifle getting bumped around in transport, dropped to the ground, banged into a tree, etc.

I wouldn't consider Leupy rings "cheap"ly made, I've had good expereinces with them too.

But in my world, it doesn't make sense to connect $1,000 or more of rifle and glass with $25 rings (unless you got a heck of a deal on a really solid set)

I would spend 500 on a savage of your choice that is light in weight and the rest on a zeiss conquest. The 3x9 sells for 399 new now. That way you get a good rifle and great glass.

Man you just started a tornado. That's like asking what's better a Mopar, Ford, or Chevy?! First off my cheap opinion, I like Remington 700s because the aftermarket supports them so much. But what you need to do my unbiased friend is this. Go down to the store that has the rifles you're considering and feel all of them. Get into a few shooting positions if possible and see what fits you, because as you said you aren't getting a new stock right away. But see if the LOP feels right, how bout the grip? Is it to fat or skinny to lve with. Nothing is worse than an ill fitting stock to consistently ruin a sight picture. Also feel the weight, can you comfortably carry it all day if you are going to be stalking game. Wtvr you decide good luck and welcome to an expensive but fun addiction. Where you'll never run out of info to absorb and where you'll spend thousands for an extra .25 MOA of accuracy. LOL
P.S. MOPAR POWER, FdOnRaceDay, Chevy just sold out where's the real Impalas?

USO SN3 on a walmart 700. If I had only 3k to spend....

With $1000 to spend, you have no choice but to get a $650 rifle and a $350 scope. Save up more and you'll be glad you did.

$1250 can get you a 700 in .308, and a VXIII