• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s good shooter?

yakimasubaru

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2008
fayetteville, AR. usa
ok guys here is a good one for you. My little sister (in the army) has been dating a marine for a 1 1/2 years now. He just got back from the sandbox a few weeks ago. Ok now dont get me wrong I have nothing against marines there are tons of them in my family as well as army and a few navy boys, But this guy just cracks me up. I had just got back from a full auto shoot, and me and my dad were talking about shooting a larue electronic steel popper at 500 yards with my rem 700 and my dads ar10, and this is what he says in the middle of us talking about it. "why do you guys have those giant scopes on your guns?" ( at the time they where both falcons) and i tell him " because our guns dont have sights on them other than optics" He then laughs and tells me this. " when I qualified in the marines at 500 meters I can put 5 shots in the head and 5 shots in the 10 rings with my m4 with iron sights. Standing unsupported." My dad of course (army) calls bullshit. He tells my dad that he will bet my dad a 1000.00 dollars a shot that he will put 5 in the head and 5 in the 10 ring out of 10shots. So my dad shows him his wad of hundreds he keeps tucked in his gun safe. Tells him put up or shut up. So we are going to a shooting match in a month and that is where he says he is going to school us in the art of shooting. I thought you guys whould enjoy this little story. Of course I will keep you up to date on the match.

Re: good shooter?

I smell an ass kissing in progress after the shoot is over. (If he wishes to keep dating your sister that is.) Either that or he learns to keep his mouth shut.

Kids, damn kids...

Qualifying with an M16 was out the three hundred yards max in my memory.

that was prone, irons, unsupported and all you had to do was "hit" the target.

Kids, damn kids.

He could be a damn fine shot, but I do not see it happening with an M4 with iron sights. From '91-'95, we shot 200, 300, and 500 yard lines, but you only did offhand at 200.

It could get interesting... Has he mentioned ever shooting High Power? I've seen some distinguished/President's 100 shooter that I wouldn't take that bet against (even w/the M4
wink.gif
). I know 500 is prone, but I'd still hesitate.

Make sure you update this thread after your dad takes the money.

You know he probably has one of those rifles that they "sweetened" the barrel. That will shoot 3/4 at 1000.

Ya'll have a good time. And don't ride the jarhead too hard when he misses 10 of 10. He is just a kid.

We shot out to 500 (unsupported prone, Dog targets, I think) till mid-90's when I got out.

Head shots at 500 yards, open sites, M4, offhand; hell, I've never met the kid and I too would take that bet. Especially if he doesn't even own the rifle he's shooting.

Youth is wasted on the young.

Not dog targets but those torso sillouhette ones, b-mods or something like that. Any hit in the black counted.

Well, I was a Jarhead Scout/Sniper (hince the 8541 in my name) and even though every Marine has to qual at 500, he is full of it on, a 5 inch group at 500 open sites, that means 1 MOA, that is what the M40a1/M40a3 shoot in MOA's, and no M4 can hold the same as them, shooting off hand.
Your dad will be a 1,000 dollars richer bro

I witnessed a guy shoot the 500 yrd line on the KD course offhand and put ten out of ten on the silhouette. Not head shots and it was with an A2.

He would have to be the poop to get headshots and ten rings, in my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">he learns</div></div>

He's a Marine, so thats out of the question.
laugh.gif

Be sure and lay out ultra-specific guidelines before shooting. I have a feeling there will be an ass-kissing after the match, one way or another.

Your dad is going to make some money, and your sis is going to loose a boyfriend.

Well, I do think I'm hearing the distinct audio signature of Wolf Tickets being sold. It's entirely possible there could be significantly more than $1000 changing hands.

I believe that at least as of several years ago, Marines were the last remaining service to include the 500yd(meter?) line in qualification, albeit from the prone. I did, at any rate, back in 1966. Whether an M4 can be scared up to satisfy the letter of the boast's true spirit is questionable enough, let alone that it can be done standing unsupported; but likewise, I have also seen some mighty fine marksmanship on the line at Marine ranges, and I would not completly rule out the possibility that the young man will, at very least, acquit himslef rather favorably. It may be a time for some lenience and some unexpected surprises on both sides. This could be interesting, and I'm not really willing to bet either way.

Greg

Standing unsupported........500 meters!!!!!!!! How can I get in on the action? :~)

well it is going down june 20th at the oklahoma full auto shoot. They have a sniper compitetion earlier in the day on a 500 yard range. this is where he says that he will be making his money. He also said that he will get the money from the bank before we go. I told him that i posted his challenge on here. He just laughed and callled me a p.o.g. then walked off.
smile.gif

back in 1995 in cali i saw a Scout Sniper put ten in the black offhand with an A2 at 500. can be done if your good like he was. with all the crap we have on them now days even the offhand at 300 sucks to do. very interested to hear how it goes!

I don't know a soul who could win that money under those terms, he just phukd up math says thats 10Gs to daddy big boy. Keep us posted!!

Hell I was feeling pretty good smacking that larue at 500 and I had 10x on the 700. Same caliber but we didn't even know if we were shooting "groups". How big was that target like 12"x18". That tells me by my redneck math ability 2-3 moa?? I'd hardly say we even close to moa.

River if you dont mind dating a mouthy army woman
smile.gif
she just did qualify expert last weekend. Skins we totally where moa if not better. According to the target when they brought it down.

AH HELL, i could prolly do it back when I was 20 or so.(haha)uh ummm not MOA but MO target maybe. lol

Howdy.

Doable at 200 with good ammo and a good rifle and an outstandingly good shooter.

Just hitting the silhouette at 500 10 for 10 is also doable.

Head shots would require ginormous luck or Divine help of Biblical proportions.

thats nothing...we should put him up against my cousin. When he was at army boot he put 5 rnds in a dime sized hole at 600m w/ a brand new m4.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doable at 200 with good ammo and a good rifle and an outstandingly good shooter.

Just hitting the silhouette at 500 10 for 10 is also doable.
</div></div>

With a standard “rack grade” M4 and M855, the rifle is a 3MOA gun to standard (set by the US Army). 500 yards at 3MOA = 15inchs of shot dispersion.

Human head = 6-8” across, 9-12” vertical. (Meaning fucking impossible.)

10 ring at 500 meters should be 1.5-2 MOA if I am not mistaken (X ring being 1moa) meaning it may be possible.

Now considering the size the front sight post would impose in relation to the target at 500m, it would be highly unlikely that this Marine would be remotely close to building and maintaining a consistent shot pattern. Then to do so with out support or the ability to build a natural point of aim due to firing standing off hand and front sight post size in relation to the target, I would say it is purely scientifically impossible.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Then to do so with out support or the ability to build a natural point of aim due to firing standing off hand</div></div>

You, sir, do NOT understand position shooting.

My late friend was just a lowly "member" of the All-Guard rifle team in the mid-1980s, and he could regularly clean the NRA target standing. His 98s and 99s were always with 1 or 2 nines. Two MOA and 4 MOA scoring rings, respectively.

He was BIG on building an NPA in his standing position.

From the prone with the correct dope and no value wind its possible. Standing, no fucken way good call on pulling the bullshit flag...

Look at it this way.Your Dad is probably expected to pay for some of the wedding so he can use the cocky kids money instead.LOL

Steve

Back in the day ('00-01) I managed to shoot a couple of small matches in the Marines (Intramurals). I also managed to get FAPed out to 2D Marine Division Marksmanship Training Unit (2D MARDIV MTU) and went through their Primary Marksmanship Instructor (PMI) course for the MOS of 8531 (now 0931). I was only there for a short period of time as I already had orders for recruiting duty, and basically 2D MARDIV MTU only needed a few bodies for shooting the Interservice Matches in the summer of '01 in Quantico. I got the opportunity to practice with the M16A2 a lot in getting ready for the matches. I did shoot the 500yd line offhand in practice, mostly for shits and grins, it was definitely an ego killer as even the smallest of shooter error put you out of the black.

If I were you I'd definitely do all that I could to get in on this bet with the young Marine. He will lose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grump</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Then to do so with out support or the ability to build a natural point of aim due to firing standing off hand</div></div>

You, sir, do NOT understand position shooting.

My late friend was just a lowly "member" of the All-Guard rifle team in the mid-1980s, and he could regularly clean the NRA target standing. His 98s and 99s were always with 1 or 2 nines. Two MOA and 4 MOA scoring rings, respectively.

He was BIG on building an NPA in his standing position. </div></div>

Yeah I am pretty sure I do understand position shooting and I also understand the difference between the use of a shooting jacket and half a can of spray glue vs. a Marine firing a standing off hand in LBE and soft cap.

Can I find my NPA shooting a standing off hand position? Sure!

Can I maintain it through a string of fire with out a shooting jacket, glove and spray glue? Not with consistency.

But then again, I should probably take lessons from a master such as your self…
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JAB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But then again, I should probably take lessons from a master such as your self…
wink.gif
</div></div>
You read to much into my post. My friend was the master-class position shooter. Shoulda seen what he did the day he forgot his jacket (as in, no difference). He never used spray glue.

I never attained his level of proficiency. Approached it prone and kneeling, but never standing.

He has to be thinking of the 25 yard target with the silhouettes of targets to represent the different yards.

Maybe he is talking about the bzo target that you shoot at 25 or 30 meters which may simulate 500 meters. For one thing how is he going to check out his M-4 to take it to your match? That's going to be his 1st excuse and he will probably say that he can't duplicate the shots with a civilian AR, because they are just not accurate enough. Regardless (IMO) the match will not happen...and he better pray that it doesn't! I guarantee he doesn't have the money, so be easy on the feller. Afterward tell him not to let his foot get in the way of his mouth!

Ok,
Having just gotten back from the sand box a few weeks ago myself, If this kid had an M4 there is a 95% chance he had a ACOG on this weapon. So the whole optics thing he asked about is bullshit on his part. Are you sure he didn’t say A4? With and M16A4 there is a 60% chance he had an ACOG on that.

Now in the prone, with no wind, an ACOG on his weapon (an M16A4) and some luck shooting at the “B” Modified target I can see it happening.

On the other hand, I think the story about this conversation happening is bullshit. Or at least over exaggerated. Where is the 10 ring this kid is tasking about. The only targets we use in the Marine Corps for qualification that has a 10 ring in on the pistol range.

But, if it is true I hope this kid isn’t from my unit. He also would not be the first Marine to put his foot in his mouth.

Is this Young Man really serious about your sister ?

If so I am not sure how he can salvage his pride and this relationship at the same time .

Of course I am lucky if I can hit a dirt mound at a 100 with my 16 inch AR let alone something 500 yards away offhand . Maybe the Marines teach them something I haven't ever seen . Of course , when the old man went through boot in 63 the Gunny that ran the range pulled off quite a few miracles with an old 03A3 and rarely bought his own liquor .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I smell an ass kissing in progress after the shoot is over. (If he wishes to keep dating your sister that is.) Either that or he learns to keep his mouth shut. </div></div>

+1 You can spend his money right now. Now someone with good eyesight(i.e. younger than 50 years old LOL)can do alot with iron sights. But the B.S. starts at 400 yards and offhand!!