• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good solvents and cleaning procedure for ar15’s?

URGILOVERR

Private
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2023
USA
Hey all 👋🏽 I was wondering if someone could list the steps of properly cleaning and decreasing an AR 15 in the correct order?(I have a chrome lined barrel and phosphate chrome lined bcg) (Don’t have the money for an ultrasonic cleaner at the moment , but can budget for one in the future so feel free to comment a process with that becuse I will eventually get one, but for now I would like to stick to non soaking)

I’ve been using Hoppes #9 for a minute, but I want to stay away from ammonia based solvents because of my chrome lined barrel. I am also using Lucas oil products extreme duty gun oil what solvents will be okay with the lube I use? I’ve heard that some solvents and lubes really shouldn’t mix together so I’m basically needing a solvent that can work around the lube I use. Is Boretech any good? Also what degreasers do you guys use? I am currently using CRC brakleen brake parts cleaner, high strength formula non-chlorinated for the degreaser is this ok? I know this is a lot of questions, but would really appreciate some solid advice, Thank you.

I got away from solvents a long time ago. I use boretech eliminator on the barrel and spray the bolt with slip2000 725 for carbon build up. Works well for muzzle devices too. Light coating of mobil 1 or Lucas oil afterwards.

Reactions: Obi-WanKannoli
I use a bore snake with MPRO-7 for my ar-15's. When my BCG's get filthy (which they do after many rounds suppressed), I tear them apart and soak in MPRO-7 for days. Then I oil the BCG with MPRO's oil solution.

Boretech for bore cleaning; automotive brake cleaner for everything else. Lubrication with automotive wheel bearing grease and synthetic motor oil.

ARs don't have to be cleaned very often, depending on the use case and purpose of course.

If you have a super precise rifle the process is going to be a bit different than just your average or better shooter with average ammo.

I use non chlorinated disc brake cleaner to degrease all of my firearms. I have not found anything yet that works better than that.

As far as lube goes I am very fond of grease now. Of course I live way down south where it's hot. If I was in a cold environment I would choose something else.

That said, the choice of lube will definitely influence how much you clean and how often. Some of the lighter oils will over time evaporate and leave a sticky film on everything. Even if you have a spotless rifle and put it away for a while with those types of solutions you can essentially take it out of the safe and need to clean it even if it wasn't shot. In general grease doesn't have this kind of problem.

As for how much and in what order, that's up to you and is primarily dictated by how you use your rifle.

Reactions: shoobe01
Just add oil. No cleaning required

The barrel perhaps, but if you shoot suppressed you probably will have to clean the BCG at some point.

I'm not a big ar-15 cleaner, but I had to deep clean my KAC SR15 BCG as it got to the point I couldn't even rack the action.

Reactions: jb0311
Eliminator in the barrel, Shooter Lube for the BCG. Stuff is magic. Dirty weapons drive me nuts, even ar's.
Except Glocks, and really who cleans those....🤷‍♂️

Normally, I have used Hoppe's #9. But I also have some water-based cleaner. I have 2 AR-style rifles.

The Windham Weaponry Dissipator M4 A3 in 5.56 NATO (.223 Rem.) Chrome moly barrel, M-16 BCG. (Came from the factory with a combat zero with iron sights that was dead on the nut.)

The Windham Weaponry R16SFST-308 (Love that gun, puts it right in the center crosshairs at 100 yds. Yummy.) Also a chrome moly barrel.

On each one after any visit to the range, I disassemble the BCG and clean that.

Reactions: abn31c
It mostly depends on how the gun is used and what the barrel is made of.

"Match" gun, clean the barrel like you would a precision bolt gun.
Regardless of barrel, it depends on how clean YOU want it.
In reality, the guns will run until you run out of money and time if you keep adding oil to it.

If it's a standard carbine, just squirt some good oil or CLP on it, run a wet patch through the barrel and then a dry one. If you do anything, get a bottle of oil and a chamber brush.
I've been fortunate in the past to have a worn trail behind a fleet of tuna trucks-don't over think the cleaning

The barrel perhaps, but if you shoot suppressed you probably will have to clean the BCG at some point.

I'm not a big ar-15 cleaner, but I had to deep clean my KAC SR15 BCG as it got to the point I couldn't even rack the action.
I was kinda being sarcastic but i tried to make a ar stop running. Put 6k suppressed rounds on it over 4 months and it just kept chugging along. All i ever did was add a few drops of oil. Im also in the northeast. We dont have moon dust here.

For years I've been using Breakfree CLP for all my cleaning and lubrication chores. A few years ago I've started using Hoppes M-Pro7 gun cleaner. I buy the gallon container and it lasts a long time for me. Then I will use Breakfree CLP for lubrication and corrosion protection.

CLP in a spray can or a trigger sprayer.
Hose everything down, let it sit for a few minutes and wipe the carbon off with a rag or paper towel.
Spray some into the chamber and the bore.
Spray the back of the locking lugs, and the cam slot with a little more CLP, shake it off and put it back together.
Push a couple of patches down the bore with more CLP on them, followed by a couple of dry patches.
Repeat this after a range session as required.
Deep clean it if it starts running sluggish or the accuracy falls off.

Reactions: Aftermath
I mostly use MPro-7 now. However it's been years since I've cleaned my AR. I have three, one for home defense (clean ready to go) one for backup, and my truck gun. The truck gun varmint rifle is pretty dirty lol. I'll probably clean it soon. It must have 700-1000 handload rounds through it in the last three years. Oil, run it, repeat. I'll clean it soon. It's still running reliably, I just want a clean rifle when I go to swap barrels.

Just about anything works. Something petrol based to keep parts lubed and from rusting.

Have used every method under the sun including the industrial washing machines that level 3 depots use to clean 100 m4s at a time. Ultrasonic , brake cleaner, clp, ect ect ect. Even steam cleaners. Problem is with anything water based has to be immediately dried and then dunked In oil or it will rust. Ultrasonic in gasoline is awesome for old caked on carbon and rusty parts.

A well built ar rarely needs cleaning, just keep her wet and fed and she will be happy. Eventually carbon will be an issue but there is no secret or right way. I have sr15s that have been through 5-8k of wolf and tula before I needed to break them down and clean. With good m193 probally double that number Ala filthy 14.

Reactions: shoobe01
When I am finished cleaning, I run some gun oil through the barrel and some gun grease on the bolt and in the action.

Normally, I have used Hoppe's #9. But I also have some water-based cleaner. I have 2 AR-style rifles.

The Windham Weaponry Dissipator M4 A3 in 5.56 NATO (.223 Rem.) Chrome moly barrel, M-16 BCG. (Came from the factory with a combat zero with iron sights that was dead on the nut.)

The Windham Weaponry R16SFST-308 (Love that gun, puts it right in the center crosshairs at 100 yds. Yummy.) Also a chrome moly barrel.

On each one after any visit to the range, I disassemble the BCG and clean that.
Mainer?

I once cleaned a Toolcraft Nickle-Boron in the ultrasonic at work and it goofed up the coating, Toolcraft warranteed the BCG, but I don't clean them like that anymore.

You really do not need to clean them much. Here's an article on a carbine used as a loaner for classes that was still running over 30,000 rounds with (almost entirely) just applying lube as needed.

I use Ballistol mostly for a few years but as long as an oil and plenty of it, it barely seems to matter what. Somewhere over 5,000 my suppressed gun seems to need a cleaning, and I usually just go pretty perfunctory on the receiver and barrel, do a quick star wipe of the locking lugs, and then ultrasonic the BCG.

My other main AR got a cleaning only because it broke the extractor spring (still worked, just not well) at... who knows? 15,000 conservatively. And lots of those are blanks so even dirtier. Same, did an ultrasonic then diagnosed and fixed the parts and carried on.

This is also all conditions. Freezing enough greased guns and electronics stopped working, powdery dust and 110°, etc.

If below about -20° F, switch to a cold weather lubricant. Do NOT remove lube, that's wrong. Army still uses LAW but it's hard to find. A few others, I have no opinion as I do not do true arctic stuff. But have friends who have done that and I am assured hat no oil is a mistake the same way we've learned it doesn't work in the desert.

Okay, I forgot one: I had to immerse the one repeatedly as I crawled down a creekbed so I did a detail strip and disassembly (grip and buttstock off, etc) of that one to make sure there was no water anywhere at all. But that's rare and I am now glad I don't have to do saltwater immersion ever!

And as stated, that's for general purpose carbines. Precision rifles of any sort I... also clean a lot less than I used to, but whenever the action feels at all gritty or when accuracy drops they get a cleaning.

Last edited:
I was a fan of not cleaning the AR but realize not doing so will give you gas ring erosion.

Now don't be scared by that. changing gas rings is easy as fuck and you should have a few sets in your parts bin.

I hate cleaning AR barrels with the tiny patches required and pencil thin rods.

Soaking the dog shit out of it with a good solvent, I use Hoppes, works for me. People are saying "Okay boomer!" I'm not a boomer dammit!

Cleaning the bolt I use some green shit that I drop it in let it soak and it does a good job eating the carbon off the bolt tail. Carbon killer or some shit.

Oil the fuck out of that thing when you shoot it. Squirt oil in the holes on the ejection side of the bolt and rack the bolt to distribute it over the gas rings.

Now go buy three sets of gas rings, a spare buffer spring, buffer, firing pin retainer, cam pin and have a bolt stop, buffer retainer pin/spring, dust cover spring and some take down pin springs and pins on hand.

Last edited:
I was a fan of not cleaning the AR but realize doing so will give you gas ring erosion.

Now don't be scared by that. changing gas rings is easy as fuck and you should have a few sets in your parts bin.

Soaking the dog shit out of it with a good solvent, I use Hoppes, works for me. People are saying "Okay boomer!" I'm not a boomer dammit!

Cleaning the bolt I use some green shit that I drop it in let it soak and it does a good job eating the carbon off the bolt tail. Carbon killer or some shit.

Oil the fuck out of that thing when you shoot it. Squirt oil in the holes on the ejection side of the bolt and rack the bolt to distribute it over the gas rings.

Now go buy three sets of gas rings, a spare buffer spring, buffer, firing pin retainer, cam pin and have a bolt stop, buffer retainer pin, dust cover spring and some take down pin springs and pins on hand.
That's pretty close to how I clean mine, when I do clean it. I said earlier I needed to clean my truck gun HBAR. Dumped a coyote with it and it has years of crud lol.

Only think I will add is that if you do a lot of low light/no light shooting, too much lube and you'll have smoke plumes so big you won't even be able to see your target.

And winter time, if your rifle achieves sub freezing temps, wipe that shit off.

Clean it?
WT actual F?
NEVER, not EVER clean the damned thing. I mean, unless accuracy falls off or some other stupid fucking shit.
It will fail you.
When?
Does it even fucking matter?
Clean it after you shoot it unless you are unable to. If you are unable to clean it after shooting it for some reason, clean it as soon as you are able using any sort of cleaner.
There are an earths supply of AK47ish type weapons being fired relentlessly being cleaned with diesel drained or siphoned from some fucking truck. Might even be gasoline. Lube? Think dispstick. That shit works.

I was a fan of not cleaning the AR but realize not doing so will give you gas ring erosion.

Now go buy three sets of gas rings, a spare buffer spring, buffer, firing pin retainer, cam pin and have a bolt stop, buffer retainer pin/spring, dust cover spring and some take down pin springs and pins on hand.
Who needs spare parts when you got 30 ars. Each gun has atleast 1 of every spare part needed.

No, I will have to go look, damn it.
Windham Weaponry is a great company, and makes good product. Started by the original owner of Bushmaster, and located at their original facility. Lots of friends use those rifles, and none of us have any complaints.

Reactions: Ronws
Windham Weaponry is a great company, and makes good product. Started by the original owner of Bushmaster, and located at their original facility. Lots of friends use those rifles, and none of us have any complaints.
Yeah, it's named after the town where they are located. Windham, Maine.

Reactions: AMGtuned
Now, I understand the question. No, I do not live in Maine. However, my brother does, not too far from Skowhegan.

I live in north Texas. He moved up to New England when he married his first wife and they lived in New Hampshire. Divorced and then remarried and moved to her home state of Maine. The second wife was complaining when it got up to 80 degrees. I told her that in Texas, we get days and weeks of 100+ F. We call that "August."

She said she would not visit in August. Fair enough.

My brother and I were both born in L.A., California. We were still kids when we and our mother and grandmother and step-grandfather moved to Texas in 1974.

Edited to add, not too long ago, he divorced his second wife. But he is engaged, again, to a woman from cheery old England and even recently made a trip across the pond to visit her family.

Last edited:
Reactions: AMGtuned
Now, I understand the question. No, I do not live in Maine. However, my brother does, not too far from Skowhegan.

I live in north Texas. He moved up to New England when he married his first wife and they lived in New Hampshire. Divorced and then remarried and moved to her home state of Maine. The second wife was complaining when it got up to 80 degrees. I told her that in Texas, we get days and weeks of 100+ F. We call that "August."

She said she would not visit in August. Fair enough.

My brother and I were both born in L.A., California. We were still kids when we and our mother and grandmother and step-grandfather moved to Texas in 1974.
I read ya. Been here forever. Got family in TX, I'd like to try shooting the wind there someday.

Not to derail too far; If I were to do that with an AR platform weapon, it would be lubed with Mobil 1 5w30 Synthetic.