• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing good spot for Wolves in Southcentral AK?

Anvil_X

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2012
AK
Me and some friends are lookin to do some wolf hunting in the next few weeks and were wondering if anybody had any good areas to check out. we'll be driving from Anchorage, and using snowshoes(yeah, we'll be getting C/C skis as soon as the money is available) to get away from the road. right now we're looking at running out on a thursday night and heading home on sunday. Thinking of heading out into the copper river valley and checking out some spots about an hour east of sheep mountain in GMU 13A.

Any suggestions or advisements would be much appreciated.

Re: good spot for Wolves in Southcentral AK?

Don't know how far you want to drive, but I use to live in a little cabin 3 miles north of Healy. Use to find a lot of wolf sign on the Nenana River, (should be frozen now, allowing for some good travel.

Another spot, the same area, is the Stampede Trail that runs west of the highway from Healy (actually a bit north, or straight west of the road to Lignite.

The Stampede trail, would take you to the north side of McKinley park.

Its a secret, if I tell then the city masses will hoard my area ruining it forever. Not sure of the pack around there as we hunt further north, might want to talk to F&G and get some info.

Some of that area is heavily machined especially on weekends. The buzz bombs will make it hard to get them to move on a call.

My boys did some tipping over out there a few years ago with some success.

End of KGB has showed promise too for a day or two.

Please tip over a few.

Aha yeah, those buggers just north of the park have been getting a lot of attention in the past year or so, NPS keeps asking to close that area to wolf trapping to protect the "Few, defenseless wolves of Denali".. last June the alpha female from the front gate pack got bagged by a trapper from healy in that stretch and you'd think he killed Mother Theresa with the screaming fit that came out of those anti-hunting morons.

I would certainly like to avoid the snowmachine crowd, thanks for the heads up on that. I hope we're thinking about the same KGB because that'd certainly save us on gas! Plus another buddy of mine has a class to teach on saturdays and that'd enable him to make the run out and still get something accomplished.

Thanks for the info!

Most of the machining is done around the summit and eureka road house. But this area also has good access to hunting but again its crowded. As you go east along the glen, the machines thin out.

Like Kraig, I hunt and believe the parks corridor has better possibilities and less city machines than the glen especially the further north of sheep creek. But most of this parks has seen a cabin and housing increase.

Trappers creek petersville road but pay attention to access.

su valley but pay attention to access.

How far do you want to drive and hike. We do most of ours out of cantwell.

knik goose bay at the very end by the strip, as you ski just proud north of point mackenzie was a descent pack in there that was easy to get to move on a call but again, the area has become a housing boom from the anchoragites up from the left coast.

it has been waaay too many years, but used to listen and watch two packs on either side of the Richardson south of Tonsina at the neighbors' summer cabin. They were healthy in the early 90's. Some died of unnatural causes. I know nothing of the current regs/viability for that area.

I'm personally willing to go all the way to the dalton, my buddies... one has a cruddy job and the other is following trail with a standing order of "Send me the grid after I finish teaching my class". As far as hoofin it, we could probably move around 10 km, depending on our pack loads. don't get me wrong, I love hiking, but my left leg's got a nasty habit of making the few days after my adventures a living hell, and I'd like to minimize that. Hopefully with spending more time hiking my leg will stop giving me trouble.

I'm hoping that I can convince them to do a run up to cantwell/healy area. Any excuse I can make to get out of the house and see more of the state...

If not, KGB sounds pretty rockin.

Good plan, its a good area.

We hunt north part of 13E leaning sometimes into 13B.

As I understand, 16B is/was hit hardest with wolves in SC.

We flew into Skweetna too but its now becoming a tourist trap. And there is another unapproved strip in the area too but I forget where it is.