• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good starting long range target rifle

emoney

Private
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2013
Been shooting a long time and want to try long range target shooting. Looking at a Remington PCR in 6.5 CM for about $1000. With scope I would like to keep cost to about $2000. Any ideas and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

I can only offer up what my choice was and it's way better than I'll ever be. Ruger Precision 6.5 Gen 2 and it shoots cheap FMJ's like a mofo. Not saying I won't own something nicer one day, but it would take a lot to get me off this thing.

Reactions: Lazyfaire
Another happy RPR 6.5CM owner here... with a Vortex Viper scope and Harris bipod. All under $2k.

Consistently 3/4-MOA. Often 1/2-MOA. And, occasionally 1/3-MOA. With factory ammo. Still... with 3850 rounds through the original barrel!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dead Eye Dick
Had a Remington 700 first. Then upgraded to a RPR 6.5CM with a Vortex Viper. While both guns shoot straighter than me, the RPR is a couple levels higher. Shoots like a laser out to 500 yards

Another cool thing about the RPR is there is a TON of aftermarket goodies for it. You can customize it as you go.

I’m not a Ruger fan but I really can’t say anything bad about their RPR. Get you a tikka ctr, or a Bergara hmr. All the ones mentioned are good entry level rifles and you can’t go wrong with any of them 👍

Been shooting a long time and want to try long range target shooting. Looking at a Remington PCR in 6.5 CM for about $1000. With scope I would like to keep cost to about $2000. Any ideas and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
There’s a fella named “Greene” who just listed a Ruger 6.5 in the px in your budget. Thought I’d let you know 👍

Remington is going to be hit and miss. With the consistency of Tikka, Ruger RPR and the Bergara HMR, why take a chance. It’s all about the factory barrel and these 3 have barrel making down. Particularly Tikka and Bergara. I know I’m getting 1/4moa out of a Bergara HMR pro and the B14 HMR uses the same barrel and has a great action and factory trigger. At $850 you’ll have $1150 left for optic, rings, rail and bipod.

Reactions: fanninland
When I was looking, Rugers and Howas were the cheapest options. I didn't want a Ruger so I went with a Howa.

Howa 1500 in 6.5cm, $525 barreled action from brownells, or find a used on the PX... throw in a timney trigger & find a used chassis...

Or if you're sure you are gonna stick with it, just go for a bighorn origin action.

Reactions: jcmullis2

Nothing wrong with the Tikka CTR, I do have one on my own and I´m happy with it.

BUT there is then still soooooome work to do, especially the stock - good for hunting but not for LR, might be the trigger, etc ....

So the somewhat more expensive Tikka TAC A1 has all that and more.
The stock is fully adjustable, it has a better trigger and a good muzzle brake.
The quality of those parts is beyond the higher costs compared to the CTR.

With the costs of all the stuff I´ve added now to my CTR, I would have bought a TAC A1 easy!
Like I said, I´m happy with my CTR, but if I would stand in front of the same decision again, I would the take the TAC A1 no matter what.

The Ruger RPR is a good shooter too, and it has all the features, I´ve shot some times with a friend one´s.
But quality-wise, the way the parts are made and stuffed together, it is no competition for the Tikkas, hands down.

Just my 2 cents.

Nothing wrong with the Tikka CTR, I do have one on my own and I´m happy with it.

BUT there is then still soooooome work to do, especially the stock - good for hunting but not for LR, might be the trigger, etc ....

So the somewhat more expensive Tikka TAC A1 has all that and more.
The stock is fully adjustable, it has a better trigger and a good muzzle brake.
The quality of those parts is beyond the higher costs compared to the CTR.

With the costs of all the stuff I´ve added now to my CTR, I would have bought a TAC A1 easy!
Like I said, I´m happy with my CTR, but if I would stand in front of the same decision again, I would the take the TAC A1 no matter what.

The Ruger RPR is a good shooter too, and it has all the features, I´ve shot some times with a friend one´s.
But quality-wise, the way the parts are made and stuffed together, it is no competition for the Tikkas, hands down.

Just my 2 cents.

Agreed the stock is terrible.

I didn't like the tac A1 chassis and immediately put mine in a manners. All personal preference.

As others have said, Remington can be very hit or miss.
I would go Tikka, or RPR if you want to go a little cheaper.
As for glass, there are a million options at $2k or less. Nightforce NX8, Vortex Razor, Burris XTR III. If you don't mind waiting on a deal you can find some screaming prices on the exchange here.

When I was looking, Rugers and Howas were the cheapest options. I didn't want a Ruger so I went with a Howa.

Howa 1500 in 6.5cm, $525 barreled action from brownells, or find a used on the PX... throw in a timney trigger & find a used chassis...

Or if you're sure you are gonna stick with it, just go for a bighorn origin action.
I agree on the howa 6.5 cm Heavy barreled action From Brownells for $525. They have chassis’s for them at Brownells for about $350-$450 depending on the one you get.
He could get a Remington 700 adl Varmint in 6.5cm with a 26inch heavy barrel. Take the stock and trigger off and sell them. Get a Timney trigger for a $120 and a KRG Bravo chassis for $350.
Either one of those are better bangs for the buck but some assembly required.

I just got a Ruger precision in .223. used with (4) 10 round mags for $950.
Adjustable but stock , 1:7 twist, 20 moa pic rail, 10 round mags that have room to load longer, muzzle brake, decent trigger, 3 lug bolt, 60 degree bolt lift.
Hard to beat for the price. Only drawback is its a 20" Barrel, would have liked it longer to get some more velocity. I wanted a .223 but TIKKA only goes 1:8 twist. With a 6.5 cm you won't have a issue with barrel twist. But I'm sure they're good, if they had 1:7 twister .223 I'd probably got the Tikka as I wanted to be able to shoot heavy bullets for long distance. But then would have probably have to switch out stock as well.

Last edited:
I don’t think you can name a bolt action that has more aftermarket support than an M700.

Certainly. Can't argue that. :) The 700 has been around forever.

But, the RPR has good aftermarket support , too, especially considering it's relatively new.

Reactions: JC0352
From what i've heard the newer 700 actions aren't as good as the older ones.

From what i've heard the newer 700 actions aren't as good as the older ones.

My first and only, so far, custom rifle was built on a brand new stainless stripped 700 short action I purchased in an effort to save money. My gunsmith said it was one of the worst he’s had to true up. Now he’s a good builder and it shoots great and has been super reliable.

Now, a few years later, I’m wanting to add a side bolt stop, bolt knob, extractor, and bush the firing pin. That’s more money and more time out of my hands. I know it will be done right, so it’s all good. Moral of the story is, in this day and age, start with a custom action.

Reactions: Southern Custom
Something new that I'm looking for my first chassis rifle

I know for a fact that a 22" 308 will reach 1000yd supersonic because my M1a could with Federal Gold Medal 175's. The 6.5 Creedmoor will do it even better, and also recoil a bit less.

This scope. I've used it on 223, 308, and 260 for several years now; and I like all three of mine quite a lot.

These rings.

Savage Prefit Barrels will also fit the Axis/Axis II. This would be a good one. Useful bits and tools.

Greg

Last edited:
Another very happy RPR owner. Gets this 71 year old out past 800 yards with ease. Target Tool Stock is a very nice addition but unnecessary if cost is an option. Just like what Racer88 said, 3/4” easy. 1/2” is regular and when I am having a good day 3/8” accomplished, again and again.

Get a Timney trigger for a $120 and a KRG Bravo chassis for $350.
Either one of those are better bangs for the buck but some assembly required.

Just for the KRG Bravo, I went the same route with a Tikka CTR.

Finally you "need" the spigot mount, the butt-pad height kit, another magazine, and what not.

I like the Bravo, but what seems cheap in the beginning might end up not so cheap until you have the stock you actually wanted, and then it is still a plastic stock (with alu inlay).

So, if you want go cheap, it might trick you out in the end with the Bravo.

And if you think about getting a Tikka, and also about going alu instead of plastics, I would invest the more money and get me a TAC A1.
There you have a package for a fairly good price which is top quality and has all the bells and whistles right out of the box.

Again, if I would have to decide once more, I would take the TAC A1 any time before the CTR (if you like the stock as another guy here mentioned).

You could even pick up a tikka lite for cheep cheep cheep in .308 (quite a few “long range” cartridges for that bolt face diameter), screw on a high end barrel chambered to your preference, drop it in a chassis of your liking and have a switch barrel long range nail driver/hunting rig.

Sell off the remington (you will want to after using a tikka anyway), factory tikka stock and even barrel if you don’t hunt, make a bit of money back and go bang steel?

The Tikka A1 TAC is the top of the heap here.
You get a lot for the cost of admission: chassis, muzzle brake and a two stage trigger.
If you need a threaded muzzle for a brake or suppressor mount buy the CTR and a Bravo chassis inleted for the CTR magazines.
If you don't need a threaded muzzle, get the Varmint version, buy a Bravo and roll with AICS mags since you don’t have any OEM detachable mags, anyway.

loved my rpr it was just what I needed a cheaper road to travel , I like to think if I had to do it over I would but then again when I got mine they were barely 1k think I paid 1050 for mine I went cheaper on the rife so I could spend more on the glass , tika or bergara make some real nice rifles savage as well or a used seko or some other brand . 6.5 creedmoor almost makes shooting within 600 yards seem like cheating almost .. Good luck on what ever you decide to get may it work well for you .

I know the Remingtons have been getting a bad wrap but from my experience it’s been mostly the SPS line. I have a 5R gen 2 barreled action in a KRG that shoots .5moa or better all day long and my buddy has a PCR which has a 5R barrel that shoots .3-.5 moa as well. I wouldn’t be scared to get another. That being said I really like Tikkas as well.

Reactions: Thecelt and S12A
That being said ...

How about to summ it up like, with Remington you are making a bet, with Tikka it isn´t a bet at all.

I know some Tikkas around, but I don´t know any which will shoot .5MOA or better with the right cartridge.

One of the nicest rifles I have ever owned was an early model Remington 700 in .25-06. My wife owns an early 700 in .243 which “Finally” started shooting well around 2015 and it is as nice and as smooth and well finished as any rifle made today, regardless of the cost. I have had the pleasure of owning five (we still own three) Remington Xp-100’s including a first year production, all as well finished as anything that can be purchased today at any cost. All were great firearms. Though three of the five were custom builds , the first year .221 and the 7BR were both stock and shot well and were dependably accurate.

Yes the 700’s had old pressed checkereing. Yes two of the XP’s had a plastic stocks. But yes, my wife will tell you that I have moaned over selling the .25-06 ever since it has left our home (I sold it to purchase a left hand .25-06 for our son)

AND, our most cherished rifle is the 541-S that I purchased for my Brenda as a wedding present in 1973. I took my entire months paycheck and just handed it to my friend Steve Brooks at the old Hunt and Whitaker pawn and gun shop for that rifle. It is a beautiful piece that is as accurate as nice.

Despite others telling me to look otherwise, the only rifles i considered were 700’s. I purchased a Remington 700 VTR in 2008. The bolt slid through the race like it was mounted on Coarse Sandpaper, factory 308 Winchester rounds would not feed from the magazine. The rifle could never put three shots in one group.

Its not hate, but its money. The people who now own Remington want to make the most bucks. The people who spend the bucks, hate to give them up for something that is just not as good as it could/should be. Or, not capable of doing the job.

Last edited:
I had a Bergara. Shot nice only sold to put money on a custom.

You guys are so full of shit with your Rem 700 hate
It’s not hate per se, it’s just that there are more players In the game now and they make a better product ( Less need for aftermarket parts ) with better Quality Assurance for about the same cost.
Remington sat on their collective asses and stayed deep in the “.30/06 for shootin’ deer” sales demographic and refused to innovate unless it was to make a cheaper product.
It happens every time that venture capital people get involved in an established business.

Here's a deal on a 700 PCR in 260Rem if you reload. And a $75 MIR will make it a pretty good deal!

RPR and Tikka T3X Tac A1 are both fantastic in 6.5 creedmoor. Value for money is about as good as it gets in both cases, imho. Tikka is slightly fancier feeling, for a bit more cash. They shoot equally well... which is to say extremely well.

I just got a Ruger precision in .223. used with (4) 10 round mags for $950.
Adjustable but stock , 1:7 twist, 20 moa pic rail, 10 round mags that have room to load longer, muzzle brake, decent trigger, 3 lug bolt, 60 degree bolt lift.
Hard to beat for the price. Only drawback is its a 20" Barrel, would have liked it longer to get some more velocity. I wanted a .223 but TIKKA only goes 1:8 twist. With a 6.5 cm you won't have a issue with barrel twist. But I'm sure they're good, if they had 1:7 twister .223 I'd probably got the Tikka as I wanted to be able to shoot heavy bullets for long distance. But then would have probably have to switch out stock as well.
Did you get that used? I wish I had picked up the 223 version back when they were getting closed out. When I first saw them come out with it in 223, I thought it was a head scratcher. Now I get it! RPRs are great. I hear people bitch about the RPR stock; it works great or me.

Yes , used , found on gun broker. Owner was a ffl, said he had 200 rounds thru it.
I probably paid more than what they sold out for but with 4 mags and couldn't get them new any longer I jumped on it. I wanted a 223 to reduce cost of ammo, less re coil. There is a 223/308 match close to where I live, I have a 308 but didn't like the pounding of the recoil compared to the .223. Guys score just as good and better out to 1000 yards with there .223's so surprisingly to me the round is capable. Maybe someday I'll rebarrel to longer 24" or 26" get a little more velocity. I'm trying to work up a 80 grain bullet load now. I don't think the stock is bad. Are there better ya but at least it's adjustable LOP and cheek adjustable. I'm getting a little over .5 moa with 75G ELD-m's now with a 30 year old 6.5x20 Leupold . Just pick up a Kahles 624I for it. Might do a little better. I think I'll certainly be able to hit some steel out to 1000 with it once I learn it. I'm not happy with the velocity spreads I'm getting so far even using Lapua match brass. Not sure why, only tested Varget so far.

Just recently picked up a Tikka CTR in 6.5CM and dropped it in a Bravo. Very nice rifle and shoots better than I can. I've only put maybe 150 rounds through it so far but it seems to be <3/8MOA shooter with factory Hornady ELD-Ms. The reason I went with the Tikka is because I wanted a rifle that would shoot right out of the gate. It's definitely lived up to that expectation.

I have owned an RPR in 308 for about 4 years. Got into LR shooting but was only good out to 800+/- yards. Worked a deal w a friend and bought his 24" 6.5CM barrel. Recently bought a new Tract Toric 34mm scope for it. A better flat shooter that goes farther(1,000+) and finally own a scope to go that distance.
I do own a Barrett REC-7 in 300 BO that I am going to convert to 6 mm ARC. I want to see how well that one works.

Look for a get. 2 6 creed in a rpr they can be found new for 750ish then you can order a 6.5 barrel and have the option to shoot either or for the same money as buying the 6.5. For the money the rpr is hard to beat I started prs with one and now have moved to a couple custom builds

Some say qc is bad. I have an older ltr that has had some work done and it’s a good shooter.
After Cerberus bought Remington and then morphed it into Freedom Group with their other acquisitions, the QA has gone out the window in search of higher profit margins to satisfy the venture capitol people.
Old Remingtons and old Marlins command a premium on the used market because of this.