• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Good tactical tripod?

viav13

Private
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2010
Montcalm Co. MI
Ive been looking around for some time now and haven't really found a good tripod for my spotting scope.

Does anyone have any suggestions or links to products that could help me?

Im looking for something simple, rugged, and stable. It doesn't have to have long leg extensions or anything like that. Mostly it will be used from a very low prone position.

Re: Good tactical tripod?

Wow, that was fast. That tripod already sold.

What are they made of? Can you get a attachment for spotter? Something that more permanent?

If you look around the Precision Rifle site mentioned above, you will see the small tripods for sale...I think they have a head which takes a quick release plate, so you can remove the cradle and mount a spotting scope in just a few seconds.

I don't know for sure, but they look like sprayed up Slik Tripod Maybe somebody can comment if thats the case or not?

Yeah I just got done looking around the site and I found thats what they are.

Slik does make good tripods. I've used them on sets before. However, I don't think they are really what Im looking for when It comes to a tactical tripod. They kind of remind me of my Manfrotto I already own.

I'm looking for something even simpler. I seen something on a USMC spotting scope that looked rugged and simple, but i haven't been able to find out who makes it or where it came from.

It was basically just 3 legs that spread widely. The leveling adjustment was done by moving the legs only. I don't think it had a head that moved.

Maybe I would like something with a bubble level though. That is what I'm used to.

viav13,

The tripods are made from aluminum tube with high density plastic parts. Specs on the tripods and cradles are available on the web site. We recently added another model of the small that has a steel ball head similar to the medium and large tripods verses the pan and tilt of the original small tripod. The small ball head tripod is not a QD ball head. An additional option for the small tripods is a screw on quick detach adapter allowing for the use of connector plates on all your optical gear and the SSP shooting cradles. The medium and large tripods have an intergal QD ball head. The small tripod with the pan tilt head price includes paint and that paint is is Krylon Fusion. Other tripods offered are painted with the same paint at an additional cost as to what is listed. Check out the web site Precision Rifle Solutions for additional information and options. Feel free to give me a call, PM, or email me if you have any questions.
33pbods.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: viav13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm looking for something even simpler. I seen something on a USMC spotting scope that looked rugged and simple, but i haven't been able to find out who makes it or where it came from.

It was basically just 3 legs that spread widely. The leveling adjustment was done by moving the legs only. I don't think it had a head that moved.
</div></div>

No idea on the quality, but this is fairly cheap although it only has 9" legs:
Swift Surplus Table Top Tripod

M2871_1.jpg

M2871_2.jpg

Or for $50, Vortex do this model which looks very like the tripods I've seen on pics of the M144 spotting scope:

vortexshootingstandtripod.jpg

Regards,

Peter

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: platypus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">viav13,

The tripods are made from aluminum tube with high density plastic parts. Specs on the tripods and cradles are available on the web site. We recently added another model of the small that has a steel ball head similar to the medium and large tripods verses the pan and tilt of the original small tripod. The small ball head tripod is not a QD ball head. An additional option for the small tripods is a screw on quick detach adapter allowing for the use of connector plates on all your optical gear and the SSP shooting cradles. The medium and large tripods have an intergal QD ball head. The small tripod with the pan tilt head price includes paint and that paint is is Krylon Fusion. Other tripods offered are painted with the same paint at an additional cost as to what is listed. Check out the web site Precision Rifle Solutions for additional information and options. Feel free to give me a call, PM, or email me if you have any questions.
33pbods.jpg
</div></div>

Thanks a lot for the info. Much appreciated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete E</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: viav13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

M2871_1.jpg

M2871_2.jpg

Or for $50, Vortex do this model which looks very like the tripods I've seen on pics of the M144 spotting scope:

Regards,

Peter
</div></div>

Yes that is it. Thanks a lot.

Here is a photo I found on the net of it in action:

FORCE_RECON_M40A3_DESERT.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: viav13</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete E</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: viav13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

M2871_1.jpg

M2871_2.jpg

Regards,

Peter
</div></div>

Yes that is it. Thanks a lot.

Here is a photo I found on the net of it in action:

FORCE_RECON_M40A3_DESERT.jpg
</div></div>
Now that i look at it closer it looks like its built specifically for that spotting scope. I wonder if it will fit on mine(USO Spotter).

The spotter is using an M-49 spotting scope ( 20x fixed power,no reticle ), with an M-15 tripod . The legs do not adjust more than what you see , although the vertical shaft does raise up around 6" +/- . Expensive new , they are collectible (scope and tripod) , but are borderline obsolete , IMHO ... You might want to research the Ewing tripod , the Freeland , and the Ashbury International Group tripod . I'm not endorsing them , I'm just adding some current options .

Take a look at these stands. i own one. Very good quality. He is a good guy that makes good stands. The scope heads on the stands are great and easy to use. Go to the tactical stands or check out their F-Classs stands.

tactical.jpg

2004whead.jpg

http://www.ray-vin.com/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlabamaShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would suggest the <span style="font-weight: bold">PRS system that platypus makes</span>. Its light weight, packable and with the cradle removed you can simply screw your USO spotter to it. </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Ditto</span> I have the PRS in hand now and have since put my Harris bipods out for sale....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dragoon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The spotter is using an M-49 spotting scope ( 20x fixed power,no reticle ), with an M-15 tripod . The legs do not adjust more than what you see , although the vertical shaft does raise up around 6" +/- . Expensive new , they are collectible (scope and tripod) , but are borderline obsolete , IMHO ... You might want to research the Ewing tripod , the Freeland , and the Ashbury International Group tripod . I'm not endorsing them , I'm just adding some current options . </div></div>
I looked into the Ashbury but couldn't find where it was sold, or any pictures of it.

The website doesnt allow me to check the tripod out. Is it available to Civies?

Can someone point me in the right direction.

viav13,

The Swift Tripod is *not* the same as the tripod in the picture you posted. If you look carefully at the one in the pic, its adjusted by a large thumb screw underneath the cradle while the Swift is a "boom" type handle/adjuster. In fact I would suggest the one in the picture is actually closer in design to the Vortex one and that would definately fit your USO.

I'm not sure whether your USO would fit the Swift, but at about $20 including P&P its not a big gamble if you like that style of tripod..Besides with a hack saw, file and some JB weld, I am sure you could modify it appropriately!

Regards,

Peter

you could always just make one.

trirest.jpg

Small Slik tripod + a piece of 4" pipe + a 1/4" T-nut + a little time.

The first one I made I just glued a piece of mousepad in it for padding, then a friend of mine sewed up the little pad that is held in place with velcro.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete E</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you look around the Precision Rifle site mentioned above, you will see the small tripods for sale...I think they have a head which takes a quick release plate, so you can remove the cradle and mount a spotting scope in just a few seconds.

I don't know for sure, but they look like sprayed up Slik Tripod Maybe somebody can comment if thats the case or not? </div></div>

Correct: The PRS bipod is a painted SLIK tripod with a custom built cradle attached to it.

The PRS tripod is made for use with a rifle. If you need a tripod just for a spotting scope, you can save yourself $50 and just get the SLIK tripod. It is what I use with my Zeiss spotter and it is of excellent quality, lightweight and easy to adjust.

Since we are on the topic of tripods does anyone have a line on a M15 tripod and the tube case for the M49? I have a M49 but need the tripod and carry case to complete the set up. Yes it is an outdated optic but for old times sake it would be nice to have a complete set. The M49 is sturdy enough to use as an impact weapon of opportunity if need be. The M49 has been in service for over half a century and had outlasted several rifle systems.

The Ewing Sniper Spotting Scope Stand is also a similar small, lightweight unit.

495424696_yAFSg-L.jpg

I like the PRS, I'm thinking of purchasing one. Not for my spotter but for my rifles. They look like they would be versatile for doing competitions. One tripod for every weapon. Sounds good, and the price is reasonable when compared to other bipods.

Peanutlover,

Thank you for the link. Tag something as a collectors item and the price grows exponentially. I will have to watch and see if I can get a deal. The tripod was not even that good and we usually just rested it on our pack or rifle cradle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: viav13</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Is it available to Civies?</div></div>
Lots of help can be found here. Your USMC advertisement misleads. Clerkish?

I used a pack or other item as well. Your small tripod fits everyman and the base itself fits every sniper that uses a pod of any kind.

You kick ass -Danel- and my kids read every word of your k-9 emails. Besides pacifying Iraq and hammering the drug crazed losers in Texas, how do you find time to deliver good gear? Semper Fi.

I have been researching tripods for rifle, Mk4 spotting scope, and PLRF10C or 15C which requires a total non-metallic tripod ... I didn't know but was educated me by someone at FFS, thus saving me from a mistake.

Re: USGI M15 tripod

I found one of the companies who made the M14 & M15 .... they no longer manufacture the M14/M15, but offer "Refurbished to like new condition" for $260.00ea ... quote as of 3/16/11.

Seiler Instrument Corporation, Bob Spillan 800-489-2282
http://www.seilerinst.com/mltry

Hope that helps