• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Good Topic--Hunting--What caliber for what game?

silverphoenix

Private
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2008
Texas,USA
www.facebook.com
I've seen a lot of posts here over the months about "is this too much power for this, or not enough for that?" So let's get it out of our systems shall we? And so when someone asks, we can just refer to this post.

So I will state several well known animal types that we would need firepower against and everyone can say what they think is the best caliber for that type/size + any comments. Rifle caliber and pistol caliber.

1. Grizzly Bear
2. Black Bear
3. Couger/Mt. Lion
4. Coyotes and bobcats
5.Wild Boar
6. Mule deer
7. Buffalo and similar game
8. whitetail/axis/fallow deer
9. Coons/opossums/nutria/groundhogs
10. Rabbits/squirrels/rodents
11. Elephants (really)

I'll go first:
1. Rifle: .308 lightest, 3006 good, .50 BMG works like a charm /Pistol: 357 lightest, 44 mag is good, .50 cal is best if you can control the damn thing and don't mind going deaf (though that beats getting your ass mauled!)
2. Rifle: 243 at the lightest end, .308 preferable, 3006 perfect, .50 bmg heaviest/Pistol: same as #1
3. Rifle: 243 light, 308 perfect along with 3006, .50 overkill/Pistol: 9mm Lightest, .40 S&W nice, 45 colt perfect, 44 mag perfect, any bigger=overkill
4..22 LR or .22 mag absolute lightest, .223 good, .308 heavy, 3006 borders overkill/pistol .22 lr lightest, 9mm perfect, 45 heavy
5..223 absolute lightest (lil piglets it's good, so is .22),243 is fine, 7.62 works well, .308 very good, 3006 perfect, over that is just plain freakin fun/pistol 9mm absolute lightest, 45 good, 44 mag perfect, over that would be interesting
6. 3006 or 308/pistol not for sure since I wouldn't worry about it attacking me and needing a side arm
7. 3006 or .308 lightest--heard of kills with 243--.50 is too heavy/pistol: 44 mag or 357
8.243 works well, .308 works nicely, 3006 is on heavy end, any bigger is overkill/pistol 44 mag is good, 9mm lightest unless you have some .38 specials
9..22 is perfect, .223 is very good, 243 is very heavy, 3006=exploding animal/pistol .22, 9mm is heavy, 38 is heavy, 40 is too heavy, 45 is overkill
10..22 is perfect--why screw with perfection? .223 is too heavy/pistol .22 is perfect
11. .308 and 3006 are lightweights, .50 bmg is perfect, .557 T-Rex rifle would work nicely if you don't knock your ass over with it/pistol .50 cal is lightest--they don't make anything heavier

Re: Good Topic--Hunting--What caliber for what game?

I throw mine in.

For the most part I'd agree with most of what ya have there. Just added on.

1. 300WM, 338LM, 7mm mag, etc or larger I wouldn't want to try and shoot one with less than a 300wm though. I know it's done, but thats me.

4. .22-250

7. 300WM, 7mm mag

11. only what i have read, 375 H&H mag or larger, something damn big thats for sure.

Here's mine. I agree except for maybe the .50BMG. It's just not meant for game IMO. It would def. kill the critters though! You forgot elk so I will say that here. .308,.30/06,7mmRM,.300WM,.325WSM,.338WM,.338RUM.

1. .300WM, .325WSM,.338 RUM. or even the .375H&H(probably the best)

2. 30/30, .308 or .30/06.

4. .204 Ruger, .223Rem.,.22-250, or .243.

5. .243,.308Win.

6. .243, .25/06 Rem.,.270 Win(Legendary).308 Win, .30.06.

7. .300WM, .325WSM.

8. .243Win,6mm Rem., 30/30, .308, .30/06, 7mmRM(for Big ones),.300WM(For the Saskatchewan Monsters.)

9. .22LR, .17HMR, .17Mach2.

10. .22LR, .17HMR, .17Mach2.

11. .375H&H, .375 Ruger, .416's(any of them) .470 Nitro, or .500 Nitro.

1. Grizzly Bear
2. Black Bear
3. Couger/Mt. Lion
4. Coyotes and bobcats
5.Wild Boar
6. Mule deer
7. Buffalo and similar game
8. whitetail/axis/fallow deer
9. Coons/opossums/nutria/groundhogs
10. Rabbits/squirrels/rodents
11. Elephants (really)

My opinion=
1. Lightest 300 win mag, 338 win Best, 375 H&H Top...anything else is overkill
2. 30-06, 7mm Rem Mag best, 300 win mag tops
3. 270win, 30-06 best, 7mm/300 mag tops
4. .223rem, 22-250 best, 243 win tops (but have shot them with 7mm Mags.
5. 223, 243, 308
6. 270, 30/06, 7mm mag
7. 300 win mag, 325 wsm or 338, 375 H&H tops
8. 243, 270 best, 30-06 tops
9. 17hmr, 22mag, 204 ruger.
10. 22lr
11. the biggest gun you can get your hands on!

1. I don't like the idea of any handgun caliber here, esp below .44 mag. Substitute 12 ga pump with Slugs.

Unless the handgun is .44 Mag or higher. I would not use it either. Maybe, maybe a .357 Mag on a whitetail at 50 yards. However I am going to be honest with you. I just don't have the skills as a handgun shooter to make the hits constantly to take it in the field for game. That's me though.

1-8 .30-'06, bullet selection to suit specific game.
9 .223
10 .22LR
11 .458WM I own all the above, but this one, naaah. The only place I'd be inclined to use it is Africa, and you'll never catch me in Africa. They <span style="font-style: italic">eat</span> people there...

small game(2-10) 300 win mag, medium game (1 and 11) mk-19.

I will play:

1. Interior brown or what is commonly missed called grizzly but do have grizzled fur, they run about 650-850 and taken at longer distances. They can be found digging and wondering around in open terrain without much concern. They get felled every year with 243s and I know of one blond 550-575 pounder that fell to a 22-250. I would not hesitate to use 308 with 180g Partition or 06 with same bullet. 300Win would be slightly more horsepower but I do not like 30 mags, never have and would jump to 338s with 250g Partition. My fav of all time is the 338-378Wby but back then, I settled for 340Wby, its close but off the shelf rifle, no custom build. Now days its everywhere off the shelf rifles. Coastal browns run 800 up to 1200 but can be found in the 1500 range, the terrain is more covered and they are usually more alert and closer. While I would use 308 / 06, again I would jump up to the 338s. 375HH are very popular and I think they do not recoil as hard as my 340Wby or have the ballistics outside of a bigger hole. The 416s are gaining popularity here and F&G is discussing a 4000 muzzle energy min for brown bears. The problem here is, very few hunters can actually handle that much recoil when they could put a 180g Partition out the tube of 308/06 at 2750-2800FPS right in the kill zone.

2. Blackies, once again 308/06 with 180g Partition. While they can be found large in Alaska, they are not that big or hard to kill. 243 kills them every year and I see no reason to go above 308/06.

3. No clue.

4. No clue but Lynx are killed with 22-250 so this would be my pick.

5. No clue.

6. I would consider these caribou. Not the big on the hoof but can be shot at longer ranges. I would use 243 or 25-06 but would prefer 280Rem with 150g Part but I would opt to 7mm-08 150g Partition.

7. Large and thick, never hunted them but I would use 338s, 340Wby with 250g Partitions.

8. Not much help but consider sheep and goat. Sheep fall over with ease but goats can absorb a good amount. Both are taken at fairly long ranges. I would prefer 7mm-08 with 140g Accubond or maybe 150g partition. The name of the game here is lighter is better.

9. ????

10. 22LR or 20ga. hares here do not move much and can be shot sitting and easy to see in the between seasons, white or brown.

11. No desire but if ever, it would have to be with an English double rifle, I am thinking a Greener in 8 bore but would use a Purdy or HH but its got to be an 8 bore but again, if HH I would consider the 500NE.

my 338 ultra for anything bigger than a rabbit for no other reason then its fun to shoot and for anything else my 22-250

For 1-8: I'd use a .243 thru 300WSM (basically my "deer" rifle)

9. Coons/opossums/nutria/groundhogs - 22lr unless I was shooting for distance, than .243.

all of been wacked with a 22 mag, and a stick and string, most with spear.

I concur with your list of caliber but would have liked to see a 375 and a 416 ne in a kreigoff for chits and giggles on da griz and buff.

Things that bite: .375.

Things that don't: 30-06

Things that aren't in season: .22 WMR

DONE.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS OVERKILL!!!!! DEAD IS DEAD, that being said its 408CT for everything from a shrew to a deer, 20mm vulcan after that
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1-8 .30-'06, bullet selection to suit specific game.
9 .223
10 .22LR
11 .458WM I own all the above, but this one, naaah. The only place I'd be inclined to use it is Africa, and you'll never catch me in Africa. They <span style="font-style: italic">eat</span> people there... </div></div>

What he said. Any more is just for fun.

308 for everything in North America. Thats what I am comfortable with, so it's what I shoot.

LOL... overkill, yeah it's possible and happens all the time. manufactures are very happy people buy into it.

bullets don't do much good if they travel 300 yards after entry and exit. The idea is to create a wound channel and dump as much energy along the way as possible.

30-30 is responsible for more killing that any other.

very hard to beat the .308, a well designed rig and a competent hand loader behind the wheel.

I would group elk with black bear

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: silverphoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
11. .308 and 3006 are lightweights, .50 bmg is perfect, .557 T-Rex rifle would work nicely if you don't knock your ass over with it/pistol .50 cal is lightest--they don't make anything heavier

</div></div>

Do you really want to hump a 22 pound rifle for 20 miles in 115 degree heat? Probably not.

Get yourself a .500 NE or .470 NE double. The .577 Tyrannosaur is an interesting oddity, but again too heavy to carry on a long stalk and too much recoil for a quick second shot.

Also, on rabbits, if we are talking jackrabbits, expect to have to put multiple rounds of 22 LR hollow points into them for a kill. I like the 223 for jackrabbits and prarie dogs.

.308 works for everything for ME.

With the exception of 7,10 and 11 I would have no qualms about carrying my .260 with proper ammunition. For 7, .338 Win Mag; 10, 22LR or 17HM2, No idea for #11, maybe a tribe of aborigines armed with spears.

Well Ive got two rifles.

One .22 and one .308.

Anything bigger than a rabbit gets a .308 hole....sometimes rabbits too.

Seen a couple safari reports where .308 was used successfully there as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: silverphoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

1. Grizzly Bear... Rifle: .308 lightest, 3006 good, .50 BMG works like a charm /Pistol: 357 lightest, 44 mag is good, .50 cal is best if you can control the damn thing and don't mind going deaf (though that beats getting your ass mauled!)

</div></div>

It sounds like you have quite a bit of experience hunting bear. How many grizzlies have you taken, and do you have any pics or details of the ones you took with a 50? I'm curious about the specific terminal ballistics and would love to see a trophy shot or two with you, your fiddy, and the bear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DPeacher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.375 H&H. One World. One Rifle. </div></div>

AMEN, Preacher!!! Tell them the Good Word!

Sure you can use all the other stuff, but if you really just want to kill'em. They all fall under the mighty 375 Holland and Holland.

1. Grizzly Bear - .270 Win
2. Black Bear - .270 Win
3. Couger/Mt. Lion - .270 Win
4. Coyotes and bobcats - .270 Win
5.Wild Boar - .270 Win
6. Mule deer - .270 Win
7. Buffalo and similar game - .270 Win
8. whitetail/axis/fallow deer - .270 Win
9. Coons/opossums/nutria/groundhogs - .270 Win
10. Rabbits/squirrels/rodents - .270 Win
11. Elephants (really) - .270 Win

Jack is looking down from above, smiling!!!!

Personally I like my older Sako FinBear .35 Whelan for pretty much everything. Kodiak Brown Bears never needed to be shot twice... Interior Grizzlies, Mt. Goats, Elk, Caribou, Moose, Sitka Blacktails and Dall Sheep all taken with one shot... Longest shot was 364 yards, at a Dall sheep through the heart. (It has a pretty bad drop long range)... but I generally like getting close before shooting.
smile.gif
Kinda fun seeing just how close you CAN get!
smile.gif
my 308 was definately a favorite for years prior... Before hunting big game.
smile.gif
I'm looking for a Sako 85 (Hunter) Stainless .338 Win Mag with wood stock. OR possibly (and even preferably) an older Sako in excellent condition. Has to be accurate and in perfect working order. Will be used in backing up Bear Hunters. Anyone have one in your gun case?
smile.gif
Wendy

A .375 H&H is only good for backing up bear hunters and building up arm muscles! Why pack 9 lbs rifle when you can be just as effective with a 6.5- 7 lb .35 Whelan or a 300 Win Mag. Being accurate is more important than size!
smile.gif
Dall Sheep hunting you start off with a 30 lb pack for a ten day hunt... That extra 2 lbs represents alot of weight, especially when you KNOW you'll be comming out with a Sheep on your back!
smile.gif
It IS nice having a .375 going in after a bear... I'll give you that... but other than that, it's just pure peer Pressure... Guys gotta have whatever shoots the biggest bullets!
smile.gif
Wendy

IDK but, I've had GOOD luck all-'round with my 6.5 Creedmoor. shot a large elk at just over 500yds(plenty of power imo) works hellaciously well on deer. 637 yds on good sized WT buck dropped in his tracks and then shortly thereafter, a crippled doe we needed to cull at 200-ish yds. shots LOTS of coyotes with it and, with head shots, just fine. works wonders on our feral hogs and javelinas out here. as far as the bears etc, yeah I'd use it if I had good distance between me and the bear but, would prolly opt for a .375 H&H just to be safe. ya'll may think its too light for big game but, killed several animals with it at decent ranges with out a hitch. ymmv

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RyanScott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Things that bite: .375.

Things that don't: 30-06
<span style="font-weight: bold">
Things that aren't in season: .22 WMR</span>

DONE. </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SN13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. Grizzly Bear - .270 Win
2. Black Bear - .270 Win
3. Couger/Mt. Lion - .270 Win
4. Coyotes and bobcats - .270 Win
5.Wild Boar - .270 Win
6. Mule deer - .270 Win
7. Buffalo and similar game - .270 Win
8. whitetail/axis/fallow deer - .270 Win
9. Coons/opossums/nutria/groundhogs - .270 Win
10. Rabbits/squirrels/rodents - .270 Win
11. Elephants (really) - .270 Win </div></div>

If you ever get to go after an elephant, even though no PH would guide you with a .270, with a .270 please have someone with a video cam from a distance get good footage! I know they have been taken with a 7X57 but chances are high it will not end well!

Caliber isn't as important as Projectile Construction and Shot Placement. IMO.

EDIT in response to 7x57 Mauser:

Federal Factory Loadings:

150gr Nosler Partition @ 2800 FPS in a .270

vs.

140gr Nosler Partition @ 2600 FPS in a 7x57

Yah, .270 prolly can't keep up....
whistle.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SN13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">EDIT in response to 7x57 Mauser:

Federal Factory Loadings:

150gr Nosler Partition @ 2800 FPS in a .270

vs.

140gr Nosler Partition @ 2600 FPS in a 7x57

Yah, .270 prolly can't keep up....
whistle.gif
</div></div>

Exactly as I said, using 7X57 since its a comparabile load and has been used and I have no first hand knowlage of a .270 being used.

Chances are high it wont end well, be sure to tape it and may I add hope its not a frontal brain!

shotgun for all, 2 3/4 to 3 1/2" magnum chamber

elephants to deer = slugs to
coyotes, home invaders and such = buckshot 2 3/4" to 3 1/2"
rabbits, game birds, squirrel, etc = #4, #6 2 3/4"
turkey = 4,5,6 heavy shot 3" or 3 1/2"

"if you can't get close enough, your not hunting your just killing"

375 H and H,can be tame down with a muzzule brake,my T/C Encore Prohunter is pretty light,with the brake recoil is down to about 30-06 level. However it IS NOT a repeater,One in the chamber and a couple clenched between your teeth! Well,sorta auto-loading!

Re: Good Topic--Hunting--What caliber for what gam

yeah, sitting in a spider hole 50 yards from a well traveled and scouted game trail...hunting

just thought of it though, a shotgun isn't a caliber but a gauge, my bad.

Right on! Im sure if you ever went out west on a big game hunt you would leave your rifle at home and bring your shotgun and a couple boxes of slugs. You are joking I hope.

i would definatly bring the rifle, however if i had one and only "firearm" to choose for just about any game or survival situation, it would be a 12 gauge shotgun with removeable chokes, and the various loads described. loaded for squirrel to bear in about 3 seconds.

Thatll work!! Shotguns are for sure lethal when your up close and personal. 4Buck works real good in my benelli M1 Super90.

Have a good one....Pat

That M1 shotgun is perdy nice, would'nt mind having to survive with one of those.