• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good vibra tumbler?

Kadams1563

Giver of Bad Advice
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Feb 13, 2017
    North Texas
    I am a SS wet tumbler guy but loading .223 it is getting out of control with the amount of time it takes. What is a good media tumbler for an initial clean. It will be ran in the back of the house so noise is an issue.

Also what media should be used for a rough clean?

My plan is to dry tumble with primer pockets in, run them through the brass prep stage on the 650, wet tumble to get lube and clean primer pockets some, dry and run through the load tool head.

so i switched from wet tumbling a few years ago...i wet tumbled for 7yrs....ive had a few different tumblers and the layman brand are the fastest to clean as the brass really moves around...the turbo 1200 for smaller batches and the 2500 pro mag for big batches...i have both and use both...corn cob for polishing wall nut for cleaning or just use buckwheat groats for both jobs...these are the groats...ive tumbled at least 10,000 cases in the ones im using now.

so i switched from wet tumbling a few years ago...i wet tumbled for 7yrs....ive had a few different tumblers and the layman brand are the fastest to clean as the brass really moves around...the turbo 1200 for smaller batches and the 2500 pro mag for big batches...i have both and use both...corn cob for polishing wall nut for cleaning or just use buckwheat groats for both jobs...these are the groats...ive tumbled at least 10,000 cases in the ones im using now.

I’ve never heard of Buckwheat anything like that lol.

How many bags does it take to fill the tumbler up?

I have the Lyman Turbo 1200 and have no issues. I routinely tumble 100 .300 WM cases. I use walnut shell media mixed with a bit of comet and it takes about 2 hours to get cases factory shiny. I got a 25# box of media at Harbor Freight for less than $30.

Reactions: spife7980
    the 1200 takes 1 the 2500 takes 2 maybe a bit more but 2 will work....throw 2-3 caps of nu-finish car wax in let it tumble for 15mins then your ready to go....nice thing with the groats is no to very minimal dust

Reactions: Kadams1563
    I have the Lyman Turbo 1200 and have no issues. I routinely tumble 100 .300 WM cases. I use walnut shell media mixed with a bit of comet and it takes about 2 hours to get cases factory shiny. I got a 25# box of media at Harbor Freight for less than $30.

i size then tumble in the groats for an hour and they are shinny but i tumble every time

Reactions: Alabusa
    I've had the same Lyman Turbo for over 10 years, and it's been ran hard. I keep wondering when it'll give out, but it keeps on trucking.

I’m totally a walnut shell fan, but would try the buckwheat when I finally run out of the 30# or so I still have unused. Unlike some, I’ve found that when used with a polish, you can clean thousands of cases with the same walnut media and never get a piece stuck in a flash hole. I do, however, tumble after removing the primers.

Another 15 year Lyman turbo guy here. Aside from the bowl kinda delaminating, it’s still going strong.

Somebody gave me a Cabellas house brand tumbler which I discovered was actually a Berry’s. It works really well also.

I run treated corn cob in vibrators and walnut shells for really dirty shit in a Thumbler’s tumbler.

Another 15 year Lyman turbo guy here. Aside from the bowl kinda delaminating, it’s still going strong.

Somebody gave me a Cabellas house brand tumbler which I discovered was actually a Berry’s. It works really well also.

I run treated corn cob in vibrators and walnut shells for really dirty shit in a Thumbler’s tumbler.
    Mine is also the Cabellas/Berry and has been great so far.

6BRX brass been fired 4 time tumbled a week ago for 1hr after sizing

Attachments

• C094AE13-4562-4081-9E7E-35C2461445DF.jpeg
      C094AE13-4562-4081-9E7E-35C2461445DF.jpeg
      303.7 KB · Views: 49
    I’m totally a walnut shell fan, but would try the buckwheat when I finally run out of the 30# or so I still have unused. Unlike some, I’ve found that when used with a polish, you can clean thousands of cases with the same walnut media and never get a piece stuck in a flash hole. I do, however, tumble after removing the primers.

if you try the buckwheat groats make sure you get the ones I posted...most of the others will just turn to dust the ones I posted are real hard

Reactions: lash
    Walnut shell with a couple cap fulls of nufinish car polish.

I use a frankford arsenal. I tumble A LOT of pistol and 223. I have 2, 5 gallon buckets full of 223 and 9mm.

I have mine set on one of those timers you plug into the wall. It's for christmas lights, turns on when in a dark area. It has a photocell on it so you can shut it in the garage and leave it on when you go somewhere and it will turn off in a couple hours. Trust me, much less annoying that way.

Reactions: lash
    if you try the buckwheat groats make sure you get the ones I posted...most of the others will just turn to dust the ones I posted are real hard

So I tumbled some .223 for an hour in the buckwheat and they look exactly the same as my range brass... hmm.

ALSO every case was filled up with the buckwheat and a pain to get out. It cloggs in the neck real bad. Have to bang the case pretty hard to get them to shake loose.

Any tips of what might be going on?

If you want to clean large quantities of brass in a short time, the Dillon CV-2001 is your best bet. I still have my Lyman that I've used for about 10 years, but after moving up to the Dillon the Lyman doesn't get used any more..... Walnut for media.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/dillon-s-cv-2001-vibratory-case-cleaner_8_8_23658.html

Also forgot......

If you get the Dillon tumbler you better get the Dillon CM-2000 Media Separator, it's big for all of that media!

https://www.dillonprecision.com/cm-2000-case-media-separator_8_111_23662.html

So I tumbled some .223 for an hour in the buckwheat and they look exactly the same as my range brass... hmm.

ALSO every case was filled up with the buckwheat and a pain to get out. It cloggs in the neck real bad. Have to bang the case pretty hard to get them to shake loose.

Any tips of what might be going on?

do you have a media separator? did you add a cap or two of liquid car wax? i use nu-finish....my buddy tumbles 223 and hes never said anything like this....all i shoot is 6mm and only get a case now and then with the groats stuck in a case and i get a couple just about ever time with them stuck in a primer pocket.

if your using range brass you may need to let them tumble several hours ive never used range brass so im not sure how they will clean up.

do you have a media separator? did you add a cap or two of liquid car wax? i use nu-finish....my buddy tumbles 223 and hes never said anything like this....all i shoot is 6mm and only get a case now and then with the groats stuck in a case and i get a couple just about ever time with them stuck in a primer pocket.

if your using range brass you may need to let them tumble several hours ive never used range brass so im not sure how they will clean up.

I’m going to cycle a new set of 2 hours just to see if it makes a difference today. It’s not that big of a deal as I’m just getting them clean enough to run through the press and going to do a more thorough cleaning after they are resized and deprimed.

The cases getting filled up is gonna be an issue though if that continues. I have a media separator and will see if that knocks the stuff out.

Reactions: 47guy
    I’m going to cycle a new set of 2 hours just to see if it makes a difference today. It’s not that big of a deal as I’m just getting them clean enough to run through the press and going to do a more thorough cleaning after they are resized and deprimed.

The cases getting filled up is gonna be an issue though if that continues. I have a media separator and will see if that knocks the stuff out.

i run my brass through a media separator and it gets it all out 99% of the time.