• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Google $250 laptops

Re: Google $250 laptops

A Chromebook isn't bad for $200 but the Celeron processor sucks!

Here's specs for three different brands of Chromebooks. http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/acer-c7-chromebook.html After looking though them I think they're really designed for taking notes and doing some basic web browsing. They'd be ideal for a student who wants to take a little notebook to class but has better puter at home. That being said, I wouldn't spend $200 on one, I'd spend a few more bucks and get a more rounded laptop.

Computers are so cheap you can get a standard laptop for not much more.

What are you looking to do with it? I am demoing a Samsung Series 5 right now and it isn't too bad. I ended installing ubuntu linux on it and made it into a "normal" laptop. If you are just looking to browse the web and check your email it would serve that purpose well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about security? Just like a normal computer? </div></div>

Yeah, exactly the same. It'll come installed with the Chrome browser which isn't bad and isn't nearly as bad in terms of security as Internet Explorer, but you still have to be mindful. An ad blocking plug-in/addition to the browser will save you many headaches.

just make sure you can load the usual parental oversight software (don't know how old you kids are so it me be redundant).