• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Google Earth RF

GrumpyOleFart

Sardaukar are sissies
Minuteman
  • Sep 18, 2020
    Perth, Western Australia
    A few beers, and some bloke starts "confiding" that he was formerly some sort of SF trooper.
    He reckons Google Earth was his back up for ranging targets.
    Decided to conduct an experiment whilst on the walk with the hounds this morning.
    One metre length fluorescent green measuring stick across from my balcony.
    I guesstimated 5 hundyish.
    Got out the MRAD scope, a bee's dick on 500 metres.
    Google Earth says 547 metres.
    Shame on you Google Earth.
    🤣

Reactions: camocorvette
    You were probably looking at yards not meters. The default setting.

A few beers, and some bloke starts "confiding" that he was formerly some sort of SF trooper.
    He reckons Google Earth was his back up for ranging targets.
    Decided to conduct an experiment whilst on the walk with the hounds this morning.
    One metre length fluorescent green measuring stick across from my balcony.
    I guesstimated 5 hundyish.
    Got out the MRAD scope, a bee's dick on 500 metres.
    Google Earth says 547 metres.
    Shame on you Google Earth.
    🤣
    You are doing something wrong. I use Google Earth daily for my occupation and have verified hundreds of measurements in the field with a rangefinder. Google Earth is usually on within 1ft. Zoom in to your local football field and measure the yard lines or the track. The biggest error is how close you can actually click to the correct pixel.

Being off by the 10% rule led me to that wag.

I have used google earth on hunting blinds and feeders / landmarks to verify lrf .

It's fairly critical using subsonic to know your limmits .

You are doing something wrong. I use Google Earth daily for my occupation and have verified hundreds of measurements in the field with a rangefinder. Google Earth is usually on within 1ft. Zoom in to your local football field and measure the yard lines or the track. The biggest error is how close you can actually click to the correct pixel.
    I use GE for targets beyond my LRF capabilities.
    It’s surprisingly close!
    It does do meters.
    2E405944-D34E-4730-9C7C-85D86B6C4650.jpeg

Last edited: