• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gordon's Reloading Tool.....MAC?

I don't know if you have the option I have. I run Linux 99.99999 percent of the time. I run a dual boot system with Win10 on a second hard drive. I only boot into Win10 to update while I'm away for church on Sunday mornings. The reason I have bothered with a dual boot system is in case I need to download another version or update of a Linux OS and burn it to a thumb drive in case of a Linux failure. I also kept it around in case there was a software that was Windoze obligatory. I downloaded GRT for Linux, but I actually haven't checked the libs since it needs 32 bit libs. I also downloaded it for Windoze and it runs fine. One of these days I'll get around to seeing if I can get it to run on the Linux side. Short story, can you/do you use a dual boot system?

I use GRT in Parellels on my MBP, its great. I bought Parallels awhile back as I needed to run some Win based apps for work and automobile diagnostics so I also use for GRT and it's just as good as on a PC. No issues at all.

Thanks for the success on Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS report. I'm using 22.04.2 LTS, having updated late last year. I take it Parallels is similar to Wine, a Linux Windoze emulator? I've thought about trying Wine if unsuccessful, but in the past I've never had the need to run an emulator as I found everything I need to get the job done exist in the Linux universe.

Thanks for the success on Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS report. I'm using 22.04.2 LTS, having updated late last year. I take it Parallels is similar to Wine, a Linux Windoze emulator? I've thought about trying Wine if unsuccessful, but in the past I've never had the need to run an emulator as I found everything I need to get the job done exist in the Linux universe.

I don't use WINE or Parallels or any other emulation or virtualization product. I don't have Windows. Well, my career is in Information Security so I have access to Windows machines, but that's only in terms of vulnerability research and exploit development. I haven't used one for personal day-to-day in probably close to 20 years.

There is a Linux version of GRT - nothing special needed to run it.

My introduction to Linux was a version called Yggdrasil that I installed in '92 to run a GIS system called GRASS for my MSF thesis work. I've been running some version or the other ever since. Amazing the difference between '92 and now. More often then not on a dual boot machine albeit booting into Windows has always been so rare that it is unnecessary except for an occasion need to use the Windows to burn a new/different version of Linux to update or try out. I did try the Linux GRT today and it wouldn't start, which is what I expected. I looked at the documentation and checked the lib dependencies and I'm not convinced I want to bother with installing the 32 bit libraries needed to run it with. So I put that on pause knowing it does run on the Windows side.

I don't use WINE or Parallels or any other emulation or virtualization product. I don't have Windows. Well, my career is in Information Security so I have access to Windows machines, but that's only in terms of vulnerability research and exploit development. I haven't used one for personal day-to-day in probably close to 20 years.

There is a Linux version of GRT - nothing special needed to run it.
Are you saying you can download the Linux version of GRT on a MAC and run it without doing anything else?

Highly doubtful. Although Mac is Linux based there is a difference in architecture. Even with Linux there is a plethora of different distros. As far as running it on Linux "nothing special needed to run it" may not necessarily be true depending on the distro. For example, on Ubuntu 22.04 you would need to install older libraries necessary for it to successfully run. Since it is a program that I would run extremely rarely and I didn't want to potentially jeopardize integrity my Linux side integrity I personally decided to run it on the Windows 10 side of my dual boot system. Actually, it is the only program I run on the Windows as I've successfully used Linux since 1992. The only reason I run a dual boot system is precisely for situations like this or as a back up to download and burn a new Linux USB for experimenting.