• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Got '100% 0n' - bolt-Rem Whisper feed issues

softcock

novice judgmental prick
Minuteman
  • Mar 24, 2006
    Oregon
    Hey just got 100% reliable feeding with my whisper Boltaction, ' using' ( factory Internal mag.box and factory spring & follower ) .223 bolt - Rem. 700 receiver as platform for my 30-221/whisper.
    Was always haveing a problem getting 100% reliable feeding with those FAT .30 cal. 240 grn. sierras and real ''Tiny', angle Case shoulder on the .223 cases. Would snag and hang-up on the push & feed.
    Key was to cut chamber and barrel it up. then get some rounds threw it. Then take the Fired Brass and Mic. and figure how much webbing you got at the base of case to work with for chamfering rounding-off the chamber cut edge. Then take the Barrel Off and throw it on the 3-Jaw and Chamfer a nice smooth and rounded edge to the chamber edge. Just (40 thousandths) makes a big difference on my rig for getting the feeding 100% reliable.
    No More Feeding and catching the chamfered case mouth edge or snagging/dragging the little tiny sharp angle of the Case Shoulder. & Smooth as silk now on the Feeding every time with the Rem .

Re: Got '100% 0n' - bolt-Rem Whisper feed issues

As long as it doesnt "belt" the cartridge. Thats the biggest problem with putting alot of chamfer on the chamber. And yes the 223 case is a large pain to get to feed right. I fight with everyone.