• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Got 2 M14s. Suggestions on I need on budget

taseal

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2011
SE FL
Well, I finally got my agency two M14s. One is a TRW and one is a Winchester. Quick little research shows the TRWs are somewhat rare and much better. Looking at the two, the TRW is in much better condition. Since I did all the work, I've called dibs on TRW LOL.

Anyways, I really want a sage stock, but I highly doubt (for now at least) the chief will let me spend 1500 on a rifle that I just got the department. so I have to do what I have to do on my own I think.

Can you guys suggest some items to help me accurize this rifle? I have actually made this same exact thread about 8 months ago, but now I have the rifles, so perhaps it's a different story :)

and as far as Winchester vs TRW, anyone care to tell me the differences? The stocks on these look a little beat up. I've considered getting that promag stock. Gonna need a good scope mount too.

and lastly, these have the selector blocks on them. I want to remove them. The transferring agency told me it's just a switch that I need to replace and that's it, nothing else. Where can I get this fun switch? (perhaps someone knows a Class III M14 armorer in the area? I will ask the local big agencies)

Of course it's not complete without pictures, so here we are:

Attachments

• 2014-03-05 20.39.57.jpg
    2014-03-05 20.39.57.jpg
    666.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 2014-03-05 20.39.08.jpg
    2014-03-05 20.39.08.jpg
    737.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 2014-03-05 20.38.30.jpg
    2014-03-05 20.38.30.jpg
    482.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 2014-03-05 20.37.37.jpg
    2014-03-05 20.37.37.jpg
    918.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 2014-03-05 20.37.19.jpg
    2014-03-05 20.37.19.jpg
    662.5 KB · Views: 8
Please don't put a promag stock on your M14/s. How about a new wood stock or a big red stock. For scope mounts SEI is what you want. Buy once cry once. By the way I'm super jealous. I only have a Springfield M1A :(

Please don't put a promag stock on your M14/s. How about a new wood stock or a big red stock. For scope mounts SEI is what you want. Buy once cry once. By the way I'm super jealous. I only have a Springfield M1A :(

I need a stock I can put a bipod on. They had few poly stock M14s there, but we got stuck with the wooden stocks... lol man, I can stretch getting a Sage stock on my own, but that's pushing it for a rifle that's not mine. I can take my stock back once rifles are given back, but that's 900 bucks of my money sitting on uncle sam's rifle. lol

Shim the gas cylinder, bed the stocks you have, spring and spring guide, mount of your choice, I tried the Basset, great mount for the $, but the ARMS seems a bit better, I would go with the ARMS for a duty rifle, do not get the Springfield mount..

All XM21's I ever seen or was issued were TRW's. Winchester was issued in large numbers and many were converted to E2's/A1's The selector lock is very easy to remove and a field kit was issued that had the parts to convert same. Most any Parts house for 14's will have them. When you get the fun switch on, fire a burst using your std tech. The fire a burst with the sights alined at 10:30-11:00 and get a good grip on the stock. Easier to do with the E2 stock but can be done with the std issue. Shooting F/A from the low ready works best with the std stock.

add,... whats the S/N range of the TRW?

Last edited:
All XM21's I ever seen or was issued were TRW's. Winchester was issued in large numbers and many were converted to E2's/A1's The selector lock is very easy to remove and a field kit was issued that had the parts to convert same. Most any Parts house for 14's will have them. When you get the fun switch on, fire a burst using your std tech. The fire a burst with the sights alined at 10:30-11:00 and get a good grip on the stock. Easier to do with the E2 stock but can be done with the std issue. Shooting F/A from the low ready works best with the std stock.

add,... whats the S/N range of the TRW?

I'll shoot you a PM with the S/N

As others have said, "Shim the gas cylinder, bed the stocks you have, spring and spring guide". I would get an E2 stock, GI bipod and stabilizer and the E2 sling. That is what I have on my Devine, TX factory produced select fire M1A. The SEI mount is a good choice and the scope of your choice. I put a Leupold 3-9X50 on mine. The front paddle on the E2 stock and sling tightly held really helps keeps the muzzle rise down. It goes without saying on FA keep the bursts short.

As others have said, "Shim the gas cylinder, bed the stocks you have, spring and spring guide". I would get an E2 stock, GI bipod and stabilizer and the E2 sling. That is what I have on my Devine, TX factory produced select fire M1A. The SEI mount is a good choice and the scope of your choice. I put a Leupold 3-9X50 on mine. The front paddle on the E2 stock and sling tightly held really helps keeps the muzzle rise down. It goes without saying on FA keep the bursts short.

I'm pretty sure FA will never be utilized on patrol. Only for range sessions

I'm pretty sure FA will never be utilized on patrol. Only for range sessions

Since you mentioned the Fun Switch, "and lastly, these have the selector blocks on them. I want to remove them. The transferring agency told me it's just a switch that I need to replace and that's it, nothing else. Where can I get this fun switch? " I assumed you would at some time (obviously not on patrol, not a good idea) Fire the M14 FA at a range. Therefore my suggestion having fired.

Very nice rifles get a throat erosion and a muzzle wear gauges ,check both you will need to remove the flash hider to measure the muzzle ,depending on how much they were shot will show up when you measure them checking the barrels first to make sure they are shot out from full auto fire , its a starting point and you will need the basic tools ,castle nut pilers gas plug wrench in the cleaning kit ,drill bits to clean pistons , they are probablty dirty , replace op rod spring guide and spring , once again very nice rifles ,geoff3

For more information, try these guys- Team M14 Forum

Both are good rifles but TRW had better manufacturing processes

Thanks bud. I posted on M14 forums, and I can't believe that place. They are either very anti military/law enforcement, or extremely jealous of the rifle. Hell broke lose because I said I would like to try this thing in full auto.

I will try these guys and ask the same thing, although I have to say I've gotten plenty of help from people here about it, so I kind of know what I need/expect. I also better understand the limitations of the rifle.

I guess I should warn you that Team M14 Forum is made up of crusty ol' Jarheads. I like crusty ol' Jarheads myself, my father was one