• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Got a box of History Today

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    Co-worker came to me today and says "My Dad is cleaning out. Do you want some "War Stuff"?"

Well Im really not into "War Stuff" But I must help a Co-worker so "Sure, Ill take the "War Stuff"

Dad shows up within the hour with this....

mOIp37Il.jpg

Says he was working at Fort Devens and it was thrown in the trash during the base closure.

y3pqZ2Wl.jpg

ty8pbdtl.jpg

O1R8h91l.jpg

jIgZUTMl.jpg

VGjUJ00l.jpg

HBUvDGwl.jpg

AEYgrWCl.jpg

kJ0ZY4Ll.jpg

I told him of a local Militaria show that meets monthly he should take it there and unload it for a free breakfast rather than give it to me.

Guessing there is good history here ....besides the great US cloth insignia 79th, 9th Tactical Air, 101st, 82nd there are RAF badges, Australian campaign cover side badges, looks to be even a Bobby whistle.

The coins appear to be occupied territory, POW script.....Fort Devens had a quantity of Italian and German POWS. Unsure how the Asian money fits in.

The Petain govt Francs are the cheapest white metal available - Germans were not using any strategic alloy on the French economy.

More "junk" for me to store.

Last edited:
    Co-worker came to me today and says "My Dad is cleaning out. Do you want some "War Stuff"?"

Well Im really not into "War Stuff" But I must help a Co-worker so "Sure, Ill take the "War Stuff"

Dad shows up within the hour with this....

mOIp37Il.jpg

Says he was working at Fort Devens and it was thrown in the trash during the base closure.

y3pqZ2Wl.jpg

ty8pbdtl.jpg

O1R8h91l.jpg

jIgZUTMl.jpg

VGjUJ00l.jpg

HBUvDGwl.jpg

AEYgrWCl.jpg

kJ0ZY4Ll.jpg

I told him of a local Militaria show that meets monthly he should take it there and unload it for a free breakfast rather than give it to me.

Guessing there is good history here ....besides the great US cloth insignia 79th, 9th Tactical Air, 101st, 82nd there are RAF badges, Australian campaign cover side badges, looks to be even a Bobby whistle.

The coins appear to be occupied territory, POW script.....Fort Devens had a quantity of Italian and German POWS. Unsure how the Asian money fits in.

The Petain govt Francs are the cheapest white metal available - Germans were not using any strategic alloy on the French economy.

More "junk" for me to store.

Don’t take it toA militaria show. It’ll just get scattered to the wind and be somebody’s collection. Take it to the Devens museum who can put it in context and may not even have some of those things. Website above. Cheers

Definitely Japanese scrip from the Imperial chrysanthemum at the top, and "sen" is an obsolete form of "yen".

7th Infantry Regiment, 3rd ID was at Devens; they were deployed to Korea in 1950 by way of Japan. Could be how it got there.

Reactions: ZG47A and pmclaine
    Awesome find. I'd beg for that 82nd patch, but it needs to stay with the lot.

Awesome find. I'd beg for that 82nd patch, but it needs to stay with the lot.

Were you a member of the 82nd?

There are two 82nd patches in that box.

If you were a member, or survivor of a member that will honor them with display, than you will be a good steward of history.

Make a small donation here.....

PM me your address and one will be headed your way.

I used to know a guy that spent a lot of Saturday and Sunday mornings on the side of the road prior to Devens with a radar in his car.

Besides the soccer people late to games there were a lot of troops late to formation.

Rather than violations dude used to get a combat patch.

Present day stuff has none of the color of theses boxed beauties but still they are cool. I should make a display.

Really digging the AAF patches, That 7th AAF patch is cool.

My step fathers father wore the "Cross of Lorraine" in WWI and than when called back for WWII he was an "old" bespectacled Colonel doing some "Recon" shit for the 9th Tactical Air Force. Both patches are in that box.

His WWI experience was the plain jane, in the trenches, suffering the shit as a Captain of Infantry with time on the Mexican Border in his past.

When he went to WWII he became an advance "scout" for the 9th. He had a jeep a gunner and a driver. He would move in advance of the 9th and scout airfields and headquarters. He chose his gunner through a chance disciplinary issue and he noted the man had a WWI victory ribbon so he was disciplined with becoming his gunner.

Don’t take it toA militaria show. It’ll just get scattered to the wind and be somebody’s collection. Take it to the Devens museum who can put it in context and may not even have some of those things. Website above. Cheers

Been to the museum.

It is well done.

They are "restoring" the remaining POW barracks. One is a post office, another is a doggy day care and one or two others I hope will be made to represent their original use as museums.

Sucks the base has been neutered.

New regime wont let the Devens Rifle and Pistol Club of which I am a member use the ranges now.

Fuck the new regime.

Reactions: ZG47A