• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Got a Browning .308 X-Bolt, would like some insight

Buffalofrank

Private
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I'm a new member on here, I'm a former Marine 03. I've been getting more and more into distance precision shooting. I've always hunted, had guns around and shot frequently for recreation, but have been taking my marksmanship much more seriously the last year and want to keep on it. I am looking at going to Academi's (Blackwater) precision rifle course this spring. I have recently acquired a Browning X-Bolt .308. I've sighted it in at 112 yards and shot in 1/2 groups. I wanted to get some insight on the rifle before deciding on it to use at the rifle course. With many more questions to follow. Thanks in advance.

My X-bolt in 270 WSM is also an extremely accurate rifle... It will shoot 1/2 min for three shots if I do my part. As a hunting rifle it has been fantastic and I will never part with it. I'm not sure the lightweight (thin) barrel is ideal for tactical work and may be a show stopper. I'm sure the pro's here will give you their thoughts...

Matt

Thanks Matt. That is one of my concerns, I have a Sako .243 heavy barrel. My concern with it was wind drift at greater distances, as well as over all weight, the hardwood stock and heavy barrel together make for a lot of weight. Are the Remington any heavier of a barrel?

I have the A-bolts with the BOSS on them in both 30.06 and 270. The 30.06 shoots 1/2 MOA consistently for up to 5 shots. Once the barrel gets warm it opens up a bit. The same happens with the 270. That is just the nature of the thinner barrel profile.

Thanks Matt. That is one of my concerns, I have a Sako .243 heavy barrel. My concern with it was wind drift at greater distances, as well as over all weight, the hardwood stock and heavy barrel together make for a lot of weight. Are the Remington any heavier of a barrel?
About .2 seconds after I posted I realized how vague a question that was. I mean more accurately differences in say the Remington Target tactical, VTR, and the XCR Tactical Long Range. Outside of the stock these things sit on, magazine types, and other minor differences. What in the capabilities of the rifles themselves separates these weapons?

I have the A-bolts with the BOSS on them in both 30.06 and 270. The 30.06 shoots 1/2 MOA consistently for up to 5 shots. Once the barrel gets warm it opens up a bit. The same happens with the 270. That is just the nature of the thinner barrel profile.

Thanks Johnny, I haven't had the opportunity to fire it a lot, the only time I have has been at the above mentioned 112yds. I didn't see a lot of variation with barrel temp at that distance. I did shoot a 300 winmag next to it that was all over the place after the barrel got warm. Granted both were using soft tip cheap ammo. It was what I had handy at the opportunity to shoot.