• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

got a couple barrels today

Bugholes

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
May 26, 2008
Central TN
www.bugholes.com
I got these two Obermeyer barrels today, I asked Boots if I could have serial number 20,000 when it came up but needless to say he's kept it for himself. He hangs many "historic" barrels on the wall in his shop. Making 20,000 barrels one at a time is a pretty impressive feat for a one man show who has done so much for our industry. Hats off to Boots...
z6csw.jpg

Re: got a couple barrels today

Kind of a shame to think of machining those numbers off huh?

I waited for about 3.5yrs for a couple of 6.5 blanks. When he got done with his Knights? contract he made them plus another 30 cal I had ordered about 1.5yrs prior. Poor UPS man stopped 3 days in a row. Think he was wondering what the hell was going on with the one of the same sized parcel 3 days in a row. All are sequential numbered, around 19,550ish IIRC. Now I am hesitant to use them.lol After waiting that long now I can chuckem up!!

Well I must say that I am jealous. I have been in contact with Boots several times trying to get my barrel order confirmed but still have not heard back from him. Hopefully it is just due to him being busy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kind of a shame to think of machining those numbers off huh?</div></div> I think Im either going to keep 'em or make something a little different with them. Maybe cut off a 1/4" of the breech and set it flush in the flat part of the underside of a stock fore end. either that or make a chambering aid but preserve the breech stamping, we'll see

Cut them off and frame them with a picture with you and Boots, thats what I would do. Maybe add a picture of the rifle made with each barrel and their first group, just shoot good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cut them off and frame them with a picture with you and Boots, thats what I would do. Maybe add a picture of the rifle made with each barrel and their first group, just shoot good. </div></div>

Great idea! I second this motion....everyone else, aye.

Greg

Bottom of the pistol grip of the stock....cool stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: V-Ref</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Greg

Bottom of the pistol grip of the stock....cool stuff.</div></div>
I like this too, good idea

I'll have to look at the serial number on the 1.5"x36" .338 barrel I got from him about 15 years ago after a 16 month wait. I have another in 7mm he says I should have anytime. It will be interesting to see how close the serial number is to 20,000.

I went and looked at the .338 barrel and it has a serial number of 8491. He's made a good number of barrels in the last 15 years for a one man show. Mine is actually a .330x.338 barrel and I think he only does .328x.338 now.