• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Got a spare $1800? Want a bronze dust collector?

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    As much as I appreciate this place I cant see 18 large on a statue.

mail
    P O Box 700 Raton NM 87740 1-800-494-4853 or 575-445-3615​

NRA WHITTINGTON CENTER​

LIMITED EDITION BRONZE​

"SHARING KNOWLEDGE"​

mail

Sharing Knowledge - created by artist Curtis Fort in honor of the Center’s 50th Anniversary. The bronze showcases the Center’s mission to provide education and training in firearms safety and marksmanship!​

PRODUCTION IS LIMITED TO 50​

$1,800.00
    To reserve your limited-edition bronze
    Please contact the Membership Department at:
    1-800-494-4853
    [email protected]
    About the artist: Curtis was born and raised on a working ranch in Tatum, New Mexico. As a young man his goal was to follow in his father’s footsteps as a cowboy and rancher. He earned his B.S. in Range Management from NMSU. It was during his college years that he began to experiment with clay sculpture and continued after graduation while working as a cowboy on ranches in New Mexico and Texas.

While working on Vermejo Ranch, Fort’s cowboy life and sculpture was the subject of an article in the Smithsonian Magazine. Little did he realize the impact that would have on his career. After continuing to work as a cowboy for several years he had to make a career decision. That choice has led him down a 30 year path as he tells his story in western bronze sculpture. Curtis continues to “make a hand” by helping his family and neighbors on their ranches.

Fort has a large following of collectors all over the world and his work has been featured in many publications. He continues to market his work through galleries, private shows, museum exhibitions and juried art shows.

Although they travel often, Fort and his wife, Carol, make their permanent home in Tatum, NM.​
    mail
    mail
    mail
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    NRA Whittington Center | 10 Miles SSW of Raton Hwy 64, Raton, NM 87740​

That thing is pure shit in its best form. If you look at an actual bronze by an actual artist you will see detail and fine craftsmanship. If you look at the monkey fuck trash from the NRA you will see a piece of shit designed to make money for Wayne LaPierre to spend on his mistress, private jet travel or some other board member bullshit that has nothing to do with leading a pro-gun organization out of a financial mess created by a bunch of fucking thieves who are looting our organization.

BTW, if they got 1,000 orders they would make 1,000 of them, no chance it's "limited production". It's a fucking scam. NRA banquets are the same bullshit. They have pretend limited drawings and raffles. Shit like using a deck of cards for a raffle ticket, $50 bucks a ticket, max 52 tickets for a gun. Then they walk the room selling as many tickets as possible, not 52, lying to each patron.

1697032462505.png

BTW, if they got 1,000 orders they would make 1,000 of them, no chance it's "limited production". It's a fucking scam. NRA banquets are the same bullshit. They have pretend limited drawings and raffles. Shit like using a deck of cards for a raffle ticket, $50 bucks a ticket, max 52 tickets for a gun. Then they walk the room selling as many tickets as possible, not 52, lying to each patron.
    Yep, Limited Edition usually means "Limited to as many as we can produce and sell."

I'd gladly pay the Negotiating Rights Away organization $1800 to dismantle, and go the fuck away, forever.

Reactions: pyplynr
    Man, that thing is hard to look at. A Frederic Remington it ain't.

I just got this. From Douwe Blumberg who created the Americas Response “Horse Soldiers” monument.

He asked me two years ago if I wanted to be the “first” to order one and naturally I jumped at it. I have two other works of his and he is brillliant.

His are also “hot cast” traditional bronze. Not Bronze Resin” or sintered bronze. There is a big difference and one always have to check closely what You are being offered.

At 1800 each I am betting the NRA ones are cold cast (resin) bronze.

IMG_6325.jpeg

IMG_6226.jpeg

Visit Douwe’s studio site to see some magnificent work. I think he is the best sculptor of equine subjects working today.

Cheers!

Sirhr

PS I can’t remember who it is, but there is another fan of Douwe work here on SH. He has
    Done. Some great SOF work.

PPS. My photo sucks…

Last edited:
    Not Bronze Resin” or sintered bronze.
    These other types a bronzes were new to me.

So I found a definition of cold cast bronze resin

And here’s one for sintered bronze

But have not seen sintered bronze (porous for oil to seep into) made into a sculpture.

Have you run across that?

These other types a bronzes were new to me.

So I found a definition of cold cast bronze resin

And here’s one for sintered bronze

But have not seen sintered bronze (porous for oil to seep into) made into a sculpture.

Have you run across that?

Not in sculpture yet.

That said, 3D printed bronzes will be along and they will be sprayed and sintered. Finer powder and no porosity… but willl not be hot cast.

Sirhr

Not in sculpture yet.

That said, 3D printed bronzes will be along and they will be sprayed and sintered. Finer powder and no porosity… but willl not be hot cast.

Sirhr
    Ugh. 3D metal printing just doesn’t really do it for me, visually.

I live by (at least) two mottos,

“Steel is real” and, uh,

“Hot-poured bronze is better than Afrikaans”

Or something like that

1697060505238.png

One can almost see the toothpick used to crudely scratch the original wax or clay of the man’s fingers and jacket fringe.

Play-Doh™ sculputureering at its finest.

1697060830542.jpeg

Last edited:
    View attachment 8246673
    One can almost see the toothpick used to crudely scratch the original wax or clay of the man’s fingers and jacket fringe.

Play-Doh™ sculputureering at its finest.

View attachment 8246676

Except that is a leather gauntlet glove.

It’s not a great sculpture, but it’s not supposed to be hyper real, either. The texture is a technique.

It’s not my style and probably not my material. But it falls under some of the more “primitive” styles. So I won’t be too critical of it. It’s just not my style.

Sirhr

Except that is a leather gauntlet glove.

It’s not a great sculpture, but it’s not supposed to be hyper real, either. The texture is a technique.

It’s not my style and probably not my material. But it falls under some of the more “primitive” styles. So I won’t be too critical of it. It’s just not my style.

Sirhr
    Hey, I get it. Different strokes for different folks. I’ll be the critical one here, as that’s my style with this sort of thing (if that’s what you meant).

And it’s not my style of bronze sculpture…I like modern art crude stuff but this thing…there’s a fine line between amateurish and primitive-on-purpose.

It doesn’t matter if that’s a glove or fingers. The technique is Play-Doh crude. As you say, perhaps that’s the look the artist is going for. That is tough, tough, tough sell at $1800 to dudes whose background isn’t fine art.

Here’s the other appendage. Looks like the toothpick was dragged across ze fingers and the error not fixed. Not…good.
    1697120230517.png

Maybe the artist thought the gash to be “loaded with symbolism” lol.

The texture as a whole is so melty-waxy (just look at the foreground!) that I almost expect birthday candles coming out of their heads.

Last edited:
    Reactions: sirhrmechanic