• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Got accepted to Medical school today!

JWV

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2009
Mich State Univ, East Lansing
I figured I would share with everybody because I am so excited that this is finally happening. I received confirmation from MSU's osteopathic medical school this morning via email. I didn't think it was going to happen as I applied this summer. It sure has been a long time coming, completed my undergrad and decided to pursue a master degree in health administration. So 7 years after starting college, I will be going for another 4.

Re: Got accepted to Medical school today!

Congratulations.

I'm working On my pre-med right now and am extremely jealous.

Congratulations!

Do you mind posting or pm-ing me your gpa/mcat and whatever else you think might have been a benefit in getting selected?

Congratulations! Let me know if you have any questions about the first year. It is hard work but worth it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JWV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I figured I would share with everybody because I am so excited that this is finally happening. I received confirmation from MSU's osteopathic medical school this morning via email. I didn't think it was going to happen as I applied this summer. It sure has been a long time coming, completed my undergrad and decided to pursue a master degree in health administration. So 7 years after starting college, I will be going for another 4. </div></div>

Congrats! 4 + residency + fellowship + ....
smile.gif

Good news: get all the way through, and you'll have a sufficient income with which to shoot what, and as you wish.

Bad news: you'll have precious little time.

Nonetheless, congrats!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good news: get all the way through, and you'll have a sufficient income with which to shoot what, and as you wish.

Bad news: you'll have precious little time.

Nonetheless, congrats! </div></div>

So true, I guess my little free time will be admiring the guns I have accrued but never get to shoot. lol

My daughter-in-law has a couple of degrees in micro sciences of some sort or another that I haven't a clue about what she does.
That said, congratulations on being able to go on with your education.
I find it a shame that our country needs DR.s in the worst kind of way, yet there are people like you that have the education and have to take tests time and again to get into school to become the Drs we so need. Something is wrong.
I am so happy for you to be able to go on.
Congratulations.
Regards, FM
I don't think that came out quite like I meant it but don't know how to reword it. Congratulations FM

Congrats!

I was in college(undergrad) with some pre-meds. I have never seen the kind of focus those guys had. Every word out of the indstructor's mouth was written down for future reference.

good on you!

Congrats!! Give it hell.. and don't quit for nothing!!

And it only gets more intense. But, some of us still know how to have fun.

Congratulations man, sometimes I wish I had gone that way instead of law. Just get ready for lots of coffee and reading!

Congratulations!!! The DO pathway, some people like some don't in the end. 4 years of school, and then at least 3 years residency and maybe a year fellow....Don't worry. The good news is you have experience and are a little older it helps. I went to school with some folks who didn't have the maturity level to be there. I'm were I need to be know and some of them aren't...

Good 4 U
Been there done that, but finished 2 yr coll, 4 yr med, and 6 years of post grad training..Finished at 29..don't know how old U R but it takes a chunk out of your life...U need to learn delayed gratification
smile.gif

U will have to enjoy working for the govt. what with the changes in medicine and ObamaCare...Medicare, Medicaid etc. but good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fx77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
U will have to enjoy working for the govt. what with the changes in medicine and ObamaCare...Medicare, Medicaid etc. but good luck. </div></div>

Unless, he becomes a plastic surgeon or a dermatologist.
wink.gif

Look for the hard to get into cash paying specialties. The standard gp, internist, etc. are getting screwed by the government and corporate run clinics.

That's wonderful news. And it's a American medical School. If you posted up that you were accepted to say, Guadalajara I wouldn't be all that impressed. DO's are fine, even if some of the Allopathic MD's are uppity about it.
If a Allopath school accepts you think hard about which you want.
In clinical settings I haven't seen any real difference, but some Allopathic teaching hospitals are hesitant to take DO's on staff, on residences, or give them priviledges. Not all, but some.
From a practical standpoint, no matter where you go to school, you can move to Florida and open a pain mamanagement clinic. I hear it's very lucrative.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PBinWA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
fx77 said:
Look for the hard to get into cash paying specialties. The standard gp, internist, etc. are getting screwed by the government and corporate run clinics. </div></div>
That is true. Hospital networks were buying up Physician practices for over 20 years, and buying community hospitals too. That way they can direct all the patients to their feeder hospitals for some procedures, and their magnet hospitals for specialty services like Heart, Oncology, Ortho...
After a couple years they kicked the doctors out of the practices they sold, and brought in company docs who work for less.
The Military is always looking for licensed Healthcare providers, and will likely pay off your debt for a 6 year commitment, which is standard for officers and Military Medical.

^^^ Kind of.. its a tricky little process and the gov't makes out like a bandit.

Thanks everybody for the congrats. But yea, who knows what the system will be like when I am gone but hopefully it won't be in shambles.

FX, you finished young! Nice job!

Just found out classes start in May. So I will be graduating with my master's in may and starting med school in may. Hopefully I get a week or two to relax and shoot.

I would so be on cruise control with the Master's grades. Take time for yourself now if you can. The next 6-8 years will be busy.

Eddie