• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Got bored, painted rifle!!! (Second try)

JRose

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2007
Back in BHam!!!
Been busy as heck lately and finally had some down time. So I thought I'd brake out the paint and get rid of some of the uglies on my 10FP.

Here's the before shot, hated the "Saved By The Bell" splatter paint stock.

DSC02434.jpg

Here's the new "flectarn" job. You guys tell me what you think... This was my first camo job, I think it needs a little more pattern as well as I shoulda utilzed more of the bigger shapes. Should I add to or leave alone?

DSC_0098.jpg

DSC_0099.jpg

DSC_0100.jpg

Jason

Re: Got bored, painted rifle!!!

I think I might add some more pattern. I'm gonna stare at it for a while before I do though.

very nice. how do you like the Horus Falcon scope ? thinking of picking one.

I'll be away from home for the rest of the week, when I get back I'll list all the paint colors and such if someone likes the colors.

I don't know how effective this camo would be in my area, I tend to think the regular ol spray it on method works the best, but then again, I don't hunt, so I was just wanting to make it look a little better...

Even if I did hunt, I believe it would be adequite camo. I am going to add a little more pattern to it.

Regardless, it was fun. I'm going to attempt urban digi on my AR next!
grin.gif

I kinda like the action and barrel solid... Thought about doing it though.

Have a new scope ordered for it... Seems to be taking forever due to reticle issues. I'll spray it when it comes in though.

BTW, the colors were:

Barrel/ action/ bipod- Krylon Ultra-flat Olive (4293)
Stock- 1st coat Rustoleum Painter Touch Satin Hunt Club Green (240260
2nd coat Rustoleum Painters Touch Satin Nutmeg (240259)
3rd coat Krylon Ultra-flat Brown (4292)
Last coat Rustloeum Camouflage Deep Forrest Green (1919)

The final coat is essentially the same color as the Krylon I painted the bbl and action with, it was just a little different. Thought it would give a little contrast...

i got bored and made some pudding earlier.

Mmmmmmmmm, puddin'.....

I used some stencils from Bulldog Arms. Good thing is, I still have the females left so I can add pattern. The more I look at it the more I notice things that I wish I did differently... That's the beauty of Krylon though. I'm gonna mess with it a little, if I can't get it looking a little better I'll strip it down and re-do it.

dont get excited, i didnt really make pudding.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used some stencils from Bulldog Arms. Good thing is, I still have the females left so I can add pattern. The more I look at it the more I notice things that I wish I did differently... That's the beauty of Krylon though. I'm gonna mess with it a little, if I can't get it looking a little better I'll strip it down and re-do it. </div></div>

Ok i'll check those out. I agree, I like Krylon
smile.gif
What do you use to strip it down with? I used acetone a bit today to strip and fix up some areas on my Stevens I painted a few days ago (check out my post and tell me what you think). It was my 1st paint job too. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

I used Acetone and Denatured Alcohol. I wish I had taken pictures of the process, but I live in an apartment, so I kept having to go out on the porch, hang it up, spray it real quick, then run inside and hang it to dry so as the hippies didn't go calling the cops complaining about a psycho in the bell tower...... I hate apartment living...

Gotta look out for them hippies....I love the Horus I got from you Jason, hows the new one? Goldie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...Good thing is, I still have the females left so I can add pattern... </div></div>

Not too sure that would blend well, J. May look a bit "odd" in the field...

dsc0100dk0.png

grin.gif

Goldie, believe it or not, I liked the old one better.... Ended up getting rid of it and just ponyin' up for the Horus equipped USO.

Haven't forgot about getting you those extra caps, they're stuck in a box in a storage unit. As soon as we find our next house and unpack I'll send em.

Mega, don't think for a second I wont camo a rifle with trucker ladies.... Matter of fact, I think I'll call my buddy and have him cut me some stencils... That should be hilarious!

OK... No matter how much I try to like it I think it looks like crap... Gonna strip it down and do something different. Any ideas????

I don't know if I just want to do a brush pattern with natural foliage, or do another pattern job...

I would like to take another crack at flectarn, but instead, use a different tan. I think it would have worked better if I had done a larger Gap 3 color under the flectarn patterns...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koolnhard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">very nice work, how long did it take you from prep to completion? </div></div>

About 4 days. I let each coat dry for 24 hours before continuing. I didn't want the stickers to pull up the paint.

Nice job. Flectarn camo works great in a woodland AO.

Jason,
I have a small compressor and a Paasche airbrush here at the house. I will be home tommorow going back offshore on monday. You are welcome to use it. I also have about 4 diffrent duracoat colors. call me tommorow.

How about a <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">digital </span></span>flectarn?

I have always wanted to do one.

The stencil kits are cheap.
Pick your colors and go at it.

Marlin, I might take you up on that!

I have a digital stencil kit, haven't seen the digi flectarn though.... I'll have to look into that.

To be clear, I should say that I like the traditional Flectar colors in a digital patern.

I believe "flectarn" is a pattern in itself.

That said, Larson did some

crusdigi_3.jpg

The trucker ladies would be bad ass... Someone with a vinyl plotter should cut me some stencils. I ain't skeered.... LOL

The best I've come up with for my "on the job" rifle, is to look at the environment you are going or expecting to use the rifle in, and lay it out there to start with. Start with a darker backdrop color and then use branches, grass, leaves, or what ever the surrounding terrain offers and use it for a stencil working your way to the lighter colors. Stand back and look at it often to check it's color balance.
Hey this is just what works for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: varget</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The best I've come up with for my "on the job" rifle, is to look at the environment you are going or expecting to use the rifle in, and lay it out there to start with. Start with a darker backdrop color and then use branches, grass, leaves, or what ever the surrounding terrain offers and use it for a stencil working your way to the lighter colors. Stand back and look at it often to check it's color balance.
Hey this is just what works for me. </div></div>

This is just my fun rifle. I don't hunt with it, just target stuff. I was just after cool looking more than functional.

Jrose---what kind of bipod is that in the second picture and where did you get it? I think it's pretty nice that it has the claw feet--it looks like it would keep the bipod from hopping/walking any.

It's a Harris with Pheonix Tactical Pod-Claws on it.

Contact Cheese here on the hide for them.