• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Got Delayed to transfer a rifle.

Bigrederic

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2018
Petersburg Alaska
So..... I got delayed today, but the interesting part is I am the FFL/SOT holder. Has anyone else ever had this happen?? Like seriously WTF?? How the hell does this happen?? Oh and on top of it I am a full time LEO and Retired Military.

• Wow
Reactions: Baron23
Happens all the time...

Reactions: Fig
If NICS is to busy it will go to delay status no matter what. I think its a 60 second time out.

I got delayed like 4 or 5 years ago due to NICS being to busy. Went through about 2 hours later...of course I live over an hour from the gun shop and couldnt get back up there until the next week...

I know getting delayed happens... but how the hell does it happen to the FFL holder?? And WTF do I do... It isn't like I don't already have the gun.

Clearly you leave the firearm with FFL & go about your business.

I know getting delayed happens... but how the hell does it happen to the FFL holder?? And WTF do I do... It isn't like I don't already have the gun.

If you dont get a call back with the approved after what, 72 hours without a denial, you can transfer it off your books.

like I said I bet the NICS computer system was either busy or down and when it times out(I have heard 60 seconds) you get a "delayed"...

So you follow those rules... No difference on whether this was you or a customer... its all personal information. NICS doesnt know or care that you are the FFL holder in this case, thats not really relevant.

Hard to do when I am the FFL.....
Not really, you just are breaking it in for customer.
You are the FFL holder, meaning it is still in your A&D as belonging to the FFL entity but nothing stops you from using it.
Isn’t rocket science.
Satire….still working on that.

Reactions: Bigrederic
like I said I bet the NICS computer system was either busy or down and when it times out(I have heard 60 seconds) you get a "delayed"...

So you follow those rules... No difference on whether this was you or a customer... its all personal information. NICS doesnt know or care that you are the FFL holder in this case, thats not really relevant.
I bet you are right.... It is just weird seeing the subject name and user name being the same and then a delay, almost comical actually.

So..... I got delayed today, but the interesting part is I am the FFL/SOT holder. Has anyone else ever had this happen?? Like seriously WTF?? How the hell does this happen?? Oh and on top of it I am a full time LEO and Retired Military.

My ffl got delayed a few weeks ago also. He framed it to show his customers that they shouldnt worry or take it personal. There is no rhyme or reason with the atf

I get a delay about every third time I buy a firearm.............I was bitching about it at my LGS once, and an old boy, that probably had an investment in the store says.........I got a license to buy dynamite...........and I still get delayed................WTF am I gonna do...........

That is absurd! I’m imagining a conference call between you, yourself and the local ATF field office.

The nics system is full of Info put there by humans. Humans make mistakes. Could be a whole lost of things that caused it. I bet it works itself out in a few days.

I seem to recall that buying guns under your FFL only to transfer into YOUR personal collection was verbotten. At least that is what the agent told me when I was discussing transferring guns bought under an FFL for a personal collection.

But with that being said it is probably just the record number of gun sales this month slowing things down coupled with the "administration" doing all it can to throw a wrench into the mix.

I seem to recall that buying guns under your FFL only to transfer into YOUR personal collection was verbotten. At least that is what the agent told me when I was discussing transferring guns bought under an FFL for a personal collection.

But with that being said it is probably just the record number of gun sales this month slowing things down coupled with the "administration" doing all it can to throw a wrench into the mix.
Not verboten. But if a licensee is using it for personal collecting and not for business, atf will take the license.

Why are you transferring to yourself? Why not leave it under the FFL?

I get delayed every time. Only had one, maybe two go straight through.

Far too many reasons you could be delayed. Just imagine what hassles those with the name John Smith or James Smith have to deal with.

I've been delayed once in my life and it was on a Saturday while attending a gun show. My guess is they were bombarded with background checks that day.

If it's transferred to him, he can do what he wants with it. If it's under the ffl, there's going to be questions if it's not there at inspection.
Makes sense. I location at inspection the only reason? Can a FFL holder carry a gun that is not personally transferred?

Makes sense. I location at inspection the only reason? Can a FFL holder carry a gun that is not personally transferred?
Yes, I can. But if it was ment to be mine I transfer it out to myself... sadly this is only the second one I have sold my self. I acquired all my guns pre FFL. The FFL has slowed me down on buying guns, I get to handle everyone else's that cone through, don't feel the need to buy to many more for myself.

Yes, I can. But if it was ment to be mine I transfer it out to myself... sadly this is only the second one I have sold my self. I acquired all my guns pre FFL. The FFL has slowed me down on buying guns, I get to handle everyone else's that cone through, don't feel the need to buy to many more for myself.
I do the same, transfer immediately including the NFA stuff. The fewer open dispositions the better imo.

isnt it after 3 days without a decision the FFL can go ahead with the transfer at their own discression?

.......i mean.....who knows you better than you....eh?

Reactions: Baron23
Well, I just called in to NICS customer service to ask about this. And guess what, they are experiencing a high amount of transfers today and can't take phone calls for customer service only emails. .. so they are super backed up.

• Wow
Reactions: KZP
An FBI guy told me that when you get delayed the most likely cause is that there's another Bigrederic who is prohibited, or on one of their watch/tracked lists, and they require a second human to reconfirm/double-check that it is one of the "good" Bigrederics, and not the shitbird one they're looking for.

He said that using your social security number (which alot of people don't want to do) lowers the likelihood that you will get delayed, but it can still happen just based on name matching in the database.

How much truth there is to this is anyone's guess, but it made sense to me.

Clearly you leave the firearm with FFL & go about your business.
This. Happened to me and I am an ffl. Thought it was funny that I had legal possession of the firearm but couldn’t release it to myself

i was once questioned on a check at cabelas. seems someone who fraudulently used my address was denied. and therefore cabelas themselves flagged me. it wasnt something the actual check flagged...

i found this quite odd.

Last edited:
An FBI guy told me that when you get delayed the most likely cause is that there's another Bigrederic who is prohibited, or on one of their watch/tracked lists, and they require a second human to reconfirm/double-check that it is one of the "good" Bigrederics, and not the shitbird one they're looking for.

He said that using your social security number (which alot of people don't want to do) lowers the likelihood that you will get delayed, but it can still happen just based on name matching in the database.

How much truth there is to this is anyone's guess, but it made sense to me.
I agree and think that’s the most likely reason.

So you transfered a firearm from your own ffl/sot to yourself via a 4473? If your name is on the license there is no need to transfer other than logging in your disposition book. No need for a 4473 or nics check.

So you transfered a firearm from your own ffl/sot to yourself via a 4473? If your name is on the license there is no need to transfer other than logging in your disposition book. No need for a 4473 or nics check.
I was told that since my FFL is under a LLC and not under a sole proprietorship it had to have NICS done... I could have been misled I guess.

I think you’re right, I just log them out of my a&d book if I decide to buy one for myself but I’m a sole proprietor. An LLC would require a 4473 I believe

I dont think it has anything to do with the llc or not, unless you're closing your books and killing the license.
I think the regulations are grey in the area of using items that are still in inventory. They could be demo/test units or just items that you cant sell and remain in inventory, and there’s no limit to how long that can go on. Easy to use one’s imagination to come up with a use case where ATF would take a very dim view. Like getting in a shooting at 7-eleven with a gun thats in your inventory.

To me it would be a hassle to manage guns in inventory that I want to use regularly, and ncreases the likelihood i’ll make a mistake come inspection time. Like I said above, I want no open dispositions.

I dont think it has anything to do with the llc or not, unless you're closing your books and killing the license.
I think the regulations are grey in the area of using items that are still in inventory. They could be demo/test units or just items that you cant sell and remain in inventory, and there’s no limit to how long that can go on. Easy to use one’s imagination to come up with a use case where ATF would take a very dim view. Like getting in a shooting at 7-eleven with a gun thats in your inventory.

To me it would be a hassle to manage guns in inventory that I want to use regularly, and ncreases the likelihood i’ll make a mistake come inspection time. Like I said above, I want no open dispositions.

I have 2 safes, and keep buisness stuff in one and personal and work stuff in the other. I have work guns as well... let's make things real confusing right. Work SBR, bolt gun, pistol and cans for both rifles.

I have 2 safes, and keep buisness stuff in one and personal and work stuff in the other. I have work guns as well... let's make things real confusing right. Work SBR, bolt gun, pistol and cans for both rifles.
Im in the exact same boat with personal, duty, and inventory.

All the wrong credentials for today’s political climate.