• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Got lucky with Reloader 17

DODGE268

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2004
Jackson Ms
Working up a load using new bullet and new powder at the same time can suck at times. Other time you get lucky. Trying out a new bullet, Hornady 123gr and new powder, R17, in my Savage 260. Working up in .5gr steps it started at around .75in and got down to .296 at 43gr. Opened back up over that so I'm thinking 43gr is where I'll stay. Have not been able to chronograph it yet but should be 2850 or so, I hope. Any who another plug for Kevin at Stockade is in order. Yay for Kevin!
Patrick
P2153166.jpg

P7181596.jpg

Mine is in front.

Re: Got lucky with Reloader 17

Outside edge to outside edge minus bullet diameter. Is that the right way? It's how I learned to do it.
Patrick

Sorry, I forgot to put that in. All I use anymore are CCI BR2 primers for large rifle stuff so I don't usually take the time to write it down. I want to try some of the Wolf primers but haven't been able to get my hand on any as of yet.
Patrick

Any plans to chrono that any time soon? I am on the verge of trying my hand with my 10FP/260rem, so I am very interested.

I hope to get it chronographed soon. The weather has sucked so bad this winter that my shooting has been cut down alot. And don't ask how long it's been since I've had my RC airplanes up. It's killing me. Please hurry up Spring!
Patrick

It's a model 10 that was built by Kevin Rayhill at Stockade. The barrell is a Benchmark with 1/8 twist. Stockade Prarie Dog/ Tactical stock and V-Bull bottom metal.
Patrick

Savage10FP.jpg

10FP in a "Stockade Prairie Dog",26" Shilen 1x8 "Ratchet" rifled barrel,SSS "Competition" trigger, trued&timed by SSS.
Zeiss 6.5-20x50 on a Farrel rail. Shooting HSM 123Lapua scenar load right now but I am preparing to begin load development shortly.

Nice rifle! I was going to get the adjustable cheek but ran out of money. I may send it back this summer and get it done. Good luck with the load development.
Patrick

Yep, that is the one thing I like the most about my rifle. It hurt my wallet bad at the time but was worth it.
Patrick

I worked my way up to your 43gr load. I used 123 Lapua scenars. This is what I got today at 200yds. Center target was first 5. The others were from me having some trouble staying focused.
260rem200yds002.jpg

Just got back from the range. Avg. velocity is 2890 for a 50 round string. Haven't done all the mth and probably won't. 74fps spread high to low over a 50 shot string works for me. I think that some of that had to do with my son "helping" me while I was measuring charges. If I throw out the high and low the extreme spread is 34 fps. Guess I need to be more carefull while loading. Anywho looks like a keeper.
Patrick

2890 huh? Thats good news. My load is a little different(Rem brass,2.810" oal)but I should be in the same ballpark.

another sweet shooting savage with a benchmark tube, winning combination. nice shooting, good to see people trying the rl 17 in other stuff.

I got a savage that I have a hard time finding a good load for. It seems to shoot everything about the same. About .5" at 100 average.

Are you into the rifling at that OAL? With the way I setup my barrel I would be .010" into it.

If you hunt/shoot in extreme cold temps you will have velocity issues with RL17....I found out the hard way this winter using it in my 6XC....velocity was 250fps slower at minus 20F than at +15F. I've been playing around with H4350 and VVN560. Both of those are quite a bit more stable in colder temps....

JWN the load is just kissing the lands. I am really happy with it so far. Gonna try to get out this afternoon with some buddies and stretch out to 600yds and see what happens. I'll post results. -20? Don't really see that as a problem for me but just in case I go polar bear hunting in Jackson Ms. I'll take a differet rifle.

PGS is right if it varies in cold, its going to vary when hot.
I have had good luck with 44.5gr H4350 with the 142 SMKs in my 260. Out of a 5 shot group at 100 yards I get them all touching but will get one flyer...anyone know whats up?

That is good to know. For me though, it rarely gets hot enough up here for that to matter. I am going to try H4350 here soon.

Best I could get today was about a five inch group at 600yds. Shooting into the sun is a bitch. My eyeball is sunburned. With better conditions I think the groups would have been smaller but still pretty happy. Needed 12 MOA to get to 600.
Patrick