• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Got my first hunter!

esorensen

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2008
Broomfield, CO
Yeah you read the title right. Fella from out East tossed on his can off a mule. Skull, spine, and extremity fractures. I didn't hear the rest. A little hypothermic too. I'll post some of my "observations" and words of wisdom later. Other crews have had one fatality, and one acute MI. There's more to come. Always is.

Re: Got my first hunter!

doesnt matter where we go, we have someone who needs our services. I guess it's job security that people just can't keep from getting themselves hurt or managing to catch something on fire, lol. stay safe brother

Thanks Medic, you guys don't get nearly the credit your deserve.

I never had one from my camps but I sure did help land a few birds working for other outfitters...

back to the wind ;-)

Got word today that there were also multiple rib fractures. Apparently he hit the only log on the trail that kept him from falling about 500' down a cliff. He's awake and talking. He's one of the lucky ones.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ffl medic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got word today that there were also multiple rib fractures. Apparently he hit the only log on the trail that kept him from falling about 500' down a cliff. He's awake and talking. He's one of the lucky ones. </div></div>

pneumothorax or anyting like that to help gum up the works?

A lot can go wrong in the back country, good to have guys like you to call on when needed. 'Course it never hurts to be careful either, seem some folk take risks that were not necessary or within their capabilities.

Here's some thoughts:

Anything that you place on your ATV or beast of burden of your choice, will not be available to you when you need it most. None of your stuff does you any good under a quad you cannot roll over because you are too busted up to get it, or on a riderless horse that someone comes across on the trail. A jacket, a lighter and a power bar can make a big difference. See SPOT.

Anyone ever stop to consider using a helmet? #2 fatality this week from ATV crash. Horsemen too.

I'm not complaining, but horse crashes, ATV wrecks and out of shape hunters keep me hoppin' this time of year. Horses are as predictable as the high country weather. ATV wheels only have traction when they can touch the ground. Stupid WILL really hurt.

If you take enough medicines that you need to keep an updated list, you probably ought to consider the FACT that you may be "well" at your elevation, but by the time you come here and exert yourself, you are already behind the eight ball. Our crews go on oxygen at 10000' and we are acclimated and in shape. I HAVE to have my "A" game every time. Pretty tough to think straight oxygen deprived.

The elk are where they are PERIOD. I have overflown herds of them at 6500' while running a mission at 10500' and dozens of hunters come asking if I had seen any. Go look.

All the cowboys in the movies have stuntmen. Chances are, most fellows on the mountain are not stuntmen. Don't take the chance. Get OFF the horse and lead him.

I've done a couple rescues so far with folks who use SPOT. It's a personal GPS/sat beacon. They work. Cabela's has a deal now where you can buy one, the money is refunded if you sign up for service for two years. Hell of a deal. Certainly beats overflying you time and time again, cause we can't see you thru the trees, or until weather moves in and we're grounded and you spend a cold night waiting wishing someone would come and get you.

I could go on and on. I'm sure I will.

like I've said before, Stupid keep guys like us in a job.

Amen brother!
By the way no pneumo. Just ortho. Thought about neuro, but the slurred speech was from a previous CVA.

How old was the patient? what was the initial asses. and base line vitals? what kind of trending did yall see? seen a couple with "simple" trauma and the hist. of CVA then have funky stuff start happening not so much funky as scary for the patient.

Got some more.

Learn the signs and symptoms of altitude sickness. It can and does happen to anyone. Every year, a couple of cadets returning to the Academy get to test drive a hyperbaric chamber. Even young kids who are in great shape have trouble coming from sea level one day and climbing a 14k' peak the next.

Stay hydrated and stay away from alcohol. It's a lot drier up at elevation and coming from the lowlands already puts you behind the hydration curve. Add alcohol to the equation, (not to mention hypoxia) and you have a problem.

The 1/2 ton truck, camper and quad towed at sea level my work great. It won't up here. Horsepower loss at altitude is at least 2 but more likely 3% for every thousand feet. (for N/A) If you are over GCVW and involved in an accident that requires CSP to have the Accident Reconstruction Team to investigate, you are in deep shit. Same goes for 3/4 and 1 tons driving on D or 8 ply tires. CSP won't say a thing to you more than likely unless something bad happens. If it does, they will throw the book at you.

Make sure the electrical and cooling systems are flawless as well. It can be 80*F one day and FEET of snow the next. Have good tires. Just enough tread for sea level winter is the same as bald up here. 4WD cannot fix that. You cannot haul ass on a mountain road just because the sun is out. Those tall ass trees and switchbacks put shade on the road and ice WILL be there until summer. I had the personal pleasure of pulling four lone star cowboys from a nice Chevy half to crew cab upside down in a ditch after they blew by me. Totaled the truck and not one of them was wearing a seat belt.