• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Got my LTR today. **ETA- RR=WOW!!**

hydro556

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2007
STL, home of the Cardinals.
I have been looking to get away from the heavy beasts that we seem to like so well. No doubt they shoot like a laser, but they are sure hard to lug around. (I have killed deer in TN that werent much worse to drag out than some of my precision rifles, LOL)

Anyway, I was looking for a great compromise. Something that could withstand sustained strings of fire at the range, without getting overly hot and rapidly struggling to maintain POI. I wanted something with a medium contour barrel and a stock designed to be a mid weight. All in the hopes of ending up with a precision hunting rifle, or. A Light Tactical Rifle.

Here is what I ended up with.

Remington 700 LTR with 20" fluted bbl
Stock: Manners T2 60% glass 40% CF 3 sling studs
Rifle Basix trigger
Badger bottom metal with 2 5 round AI mags
Badger 20moa base
Badger low rings
Badger bolt knob
Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10X40 with M1 turrets and TMR reticle
Harris BRM-s 6-9 swivel bipod
TIS sling
Fitted Green Storm case.
Rifle also has a unique logbook (120 rounds total fired through it) *only Federal GMM has been fired*

Sent rifle to Jered at American Precision Arms when rifle was brand new for the following work: mount Badger bottom metal, pillar bed stock, skim bed stock, install Rifle Basix trigger, install Badger base, flute bolt and install Badger bolt knob.

RemLTR001.jpg

RemLTR002.jpg

RemLTR004.jpg

RemLTR005.jpg

RemLTR006.jpg

<span style="font-style: italic">as usual, forgive my photography</span>

The rifle has 120 rounds through it and is apparently shooting between half and 3/4 moa with FGMM. I plan to re-zero with my hunting loads and use it this deer season.

I am then going to send it to Jered to finish the build and make it a full on Patriot Arms (APA) by adding a Kreiger barrel in the same contour as is on it now and for a full truing of the action. Then he will run it through his accuracy testing.

After that I am going to send it to Jeromy Holmes for him to put the finishing touches on through one of his wicked custom finishes. I have a pretty bad ass idea for the camo theme. Will post RR soon.

Re: Got my LTR today. Very impressed.

Looks good hydro those Ltr s shoot damn good for a factory rifle

Thanks guys. I have been wanting to try a Manners for a while. This is my first, and it seems very well put together. Cant wait to shoot it.

Very nice.

That is the stock I want. I am still trying to decide between the T4 and T4A. I would like the adjustable cheek, but I don't know if the weight is worth it when I can just slap on my stock pack like you did.

Hope you have fun wearing it out!

3/4-1/2" groups at 100 seem to be about the norm for these with the factory barrel and a proficient driver. It may stay closer to 1/2" when you get some more rounds through the tube. That seems to be what our one new LTR does. I can't wait to see what the other two turn out.

Out of curiosity, why did you decide to flute the bolt? Was it weight, or looks? Can you feel it when you cycle the bolt?

I like it, looks to be a good deer rig. I was tossing around the idea of going with the T2, but ended up with the T4. Oh, now I've got an excuse to get a new rifle!! Well done!

What is the total weight?

And I am looking forward to seeing what the stock will look like when it is done.

L.

Very nice conservative looking rifle. +1 on a rifle that can transcend the tactical/hunting boundry without sacraficing much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice.

That is the stock I want. I am still trying to decide between the T4 and T4A. I would like the adjustable cheek, but I don't know if the weight is worth it when I can just slap on my stock pack like you did.

Hope you have fun wearing it out!

3/4-1/2" groups at 100 seem to be about the norm for these with the factory barrel and a proficient driver. It may stay closer to 1/2" when you get some more rounds through the tube. That seems to be what our one new LTR does. I can't wait to see what the other two turn out.

Out of curiosity, why did you decide to flute the bolt? Was it weight, or looks? Can you feel it when you cycle the bolt? </div></div>

LoneWolf. I bought this rifle from a LEO sniper in FL. He bought it new in April of this year and sent it to Jered. He made the decision to flute the bolt. Not something I would have done, but it looks very cool, FWIW. I never cycled the bolt prior, but I will say it feels very smooth compared to other Rem bolts I have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertMonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the total weight?

And I am looking forward to seeing what the stock will look like when it is done.

L. </div></div>

I have a REALLY cool theme in mind for a functional camo that also really personalizes the stock. I am sure it will be better than my "Wicked Skulls" GAP that I last had done.

On the bathroom scales, it weighs 10 lbs.

you are going to love that gun. Its accuracy is impressive out of the box. With the upgrades that you did, I am sure you won't have any problem splitting wishers at 400-500 yards.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really hope so. Its main use is a hunting rifle, so anything better than MOA is just gravy. </div></div>

A while back, Dick Metcalf wrote an article on that very same gun (stock of course). He described a one shot kill on a pronghorn at 371 yards win a 25 mph crosswind. Also depending on the load, it can be a .5 MOA gun.

I unfortunately sold mine to feed my AI addiction.

Rifle started out as a Light Weight, compact rifle.. Then weight was added.. Heavy bottom metal, Heavy steel base and rings. Heavy scope. Heavy, unessential cheek rest, cartridge carrier. If it already shoots 1/2 to 3/4 inch.. why spend hunderds of dollars more to maybe gain 1/8 to 1/4" in better bench grouping ? Under field accuracy conditions.. your deer will never notice the difference.

That is almost exactly what I want to get built. I have an older version Remington 700 Police Special (1986 Model) that for years I wanted to get chopped and built into an under 10 lb rifle for hunting. And, I have wanted to get a Manners stock so this looks like the route I will go.

Thanks for sharing your rifle it gives me great ideas.

Thanks JS, I have wanted something like this for a while too. I am very happy with it now that I have it. Actually really digging the 40 mm Leupold. The optics are excellent, I dont care what the bandwagon has been saying lately. I have higher end optics here, and the MKIV is no compromise. I love it, light and compact but still with excellent capability.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Because I like Kreiger tubes.

The rifle is a lightweight now, even with the custom features.</div></div>

What does the rifle weigh, as pictured with sling, bipod and scope?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LightFoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice stick </div></div>

Thanks Ro

Nice groups.

I have a bunch of Varget and a bunch of Lapua brass and Fed 210M's. I have some SGK's but not many. I may try to pick up another hunting bullet. I am thinking I bought some hunting bullets for an '06, they are a little heavier, but I cant remember which bullet it is. Will have to check.

I am going to be under the gun trying to get a load together real quick before deer season. With bow season going on I dont have much free time.

Has anybody hunted with the FGMM 168 grain SMKs?

Anyone still wondering where all the primers went... I can see about 10k in the safe:).....
BTW, I always store my powder and primers in the same cubby hole as well:)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rgkeller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what buckle down cheek rest/ammo holder is that? </div></div>

Eagle Stock Pack

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Has anybody hunted with the FGMM 168 grain SMKs? </div></div>

I've killed some small Southern deer with 168gr SMK reloads. Kills 'em pretty dead, in my experience.

Really like the setup!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brians708</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone still wondering where all the primers went... I can see about 10k in the safe:).....
BTW, I always store my powder and primers in the same cubby hole as well:) </div></div>

I am not necessarily a hoarder, just pick them up when I see them at a decent price.

Cant have too many primers. I keep what I can in the safe, but have some in the old gun case as well.

Dont know Deadly. Bow season is open and the rut should be kicking in here pretty good the next 2 weekends. Going to be hard, but I have got to get some hunting rounds loaded and verified within the next 2 weeks prior to rifle.

Wont get to do any devlopment. Just going to load some stuff that has worked well in other rifles and hope it is sub moa.

It will be this winter before I get to do any real development. I trust the guy I bought it from that it is well under MOA. If I get anywhere under 3/4 I will be ecstatic. I just dont need much out of it. The main thing is that it carries well and I can already tell it will.

for what it's worth
mine was bought used and shot the Fed match about 3/4 MOA
so, my load would be a safe bet to try
POI was very close to the Fed match load
the 165g Sierra SPs are very accurate and should hit very close to the same POI as the same load with teh 168 SMK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TomS308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rifle started out as a Light Weight, compact rifle.. Then weight was added.. Heavy bottom metal, Heavy steel base and rings. Heavy scope. Heavy, unessential cheek rest, cartridge carrier. If it already shoots 1/2 to 3/4 inch.. why spend hunderds of dollars more to maybe gain 1/8 to 1/4" in better bench grouping ? Under field accuracy conditions.. your deer will never notice the difference. </div></div>

He is like the Dr. Phil of rifle weight....
Goes thread to thread saying all our rifles are to heavy and we should stick to NATO cartridges. Because he apparently knows everythign that a current sniper in Afghanistan wants.

YOUR NOT A SNIPER! please go back to playing Call of Duty and leave this forum alone. most of us are strong enough to lift over 14lbs, but not you apparently.

Back to the OP:
Nice rifle, you will love the Manners. He makes great stocks
You can never go wrong in choosing a Rem action. Get us a range report
smile.gif

Nice set-up. I had an early LTR in .223 It was a terrible shooter. It shot like my Mini-14. My compromise rifle is a Steyr SSG P2K. GTG

Originally Posted By: TomS308
Rifle started out as a Light Weight, compact rifle.. Then weight was added.. Heavy bottom metal, Heavy steel base and rings. Heavy scope. Heavy, unessential cheek rest, cartridge carrier. If it already shoots 1/2 to 3/4 inch.. why spend hunderds of dollars more to maybe gain 1/8 to 1/4" in better bench grouping ? Under field accuracy conditions.. your deer will never notice the difference.

He is like the Dr. Phil of rifle weight....
Goes thread to thread saying all our rifles are to heavy and we should stick to NATO cartridges. Because he apparently knows everythign that a current sniper in Afghanistan wants.

YOUR NOT A SNIPER! please go back to playing Call of Duty and leave this forum alone. most of us are strong enough to lift over 14lbs, but not you apparently.

I have wondering why everyone complains about weight.

Very nice rifle BTW, those Manners sure do look NICE, I kind of think that they have better lines.

if it has a 11 1/4 twist I would try a 165-175g bullet.same twist in a 5r.and 43-45g of varget/4064.loading them at 2.800.this what works for me in my 5r.really like 45g varget with a 168g smk,also a 175g smk in front of 44g varget.

like the rifel.looks great.
John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anybody hunted with the FGMM 168 grain SMKs? </div></div>I use 168 FGMM for deer. They hit hard at under 200. As you know, perfect shot placement is everything, but beyond 300 it's vital (pardon the pun
grin.gif
). On deer, at 200 and under, sometimes the jackets break-up but the core still goes clean through.

Nice rifle, BTW. Does the forend of the T2 make it feel bulkier than it is for its length or do you like the rounded style with the shorter barrel, too?

Nice stick, hows it shoot, can't wait to hear, maybe I'll get one, its purdy

I hope to squeeze in an hour or so at the range this coming weekend. I am going to try and take some loads that I have that have shot well in every 308 I have run them through. I will compare them to the 168FGMM and whichever one shoots best, I am going to zero and hunt with. I hope it shoots my load best so I can sell the case of FGMM and go with my loads.

The load I am going to try is as follows:
(will load a few in lighter charges to be sure)

Lapua case
43.7 Varget
210m
168SMK
2.81"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PadronAniversary</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's up with all that hogdon powder in your safe ? Ammo I can see, but powder....... </div></div>

What do you mean? Keeping powder in the safe? I dont know, it is fire proof, plus I gotta keep it somewhere.

Hydro,

Nice LTR. Everything you've done to it is very functional. I've got one similar:

DSCF1112-1.jpg

Let just say we both have good taste.....

Bob

Hydro,

Spec's sure:

Rem 700 LTR 308 Barreled action
Badger Knob by Hooper
H-S Precision A1 Tactical Stock Model# PSV096 in Olive Web
Seekins 20 MOA Base
Burris Signature Zee Rings
Super Sniper 3-9x42MM Scope
Harris S 6-9 BiPod
Eagle Stock Pack in OD
H-S Precision DBM w/4 rd mag.

Not shown TAB Sling in OD

Bob

VERY Nice, Hydro!

I think you'll come to love it!

I love my little 11.25 pound deer and pig stick.

700PSS cut back to 20, I think it's an LTR stock with some epoxy texture added and painted by previous owner... NF 2.5-10x32, with stock pack and 10 rounds FED 165 SGK. High CDI-factor.
smile.gif

5-23-09-handcamera015.jpg

If you don't mind me asking Hydro How much do you have in it with everything you have done (no optics)?