• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Got my new 308

bigmike2121

Private
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2011
longview, tx
Finally after a years worth of screwing around, I got myself a new Howa 1500 varminter in 308. It came with a 4-16 x 44 Nikko Sterling scope with the illuminated reticle. Not sure about the scope but that doesnt matter as i have ordered a ziess victory HT 3-12x56 with the #60 illuminated reticle to be installed in egw rings. What do you guys think about rifle and scope as it sits right now? oh yea, its in the hogue over molded stock.

The rifle will probably do you right. I just pulled a Howa out that is in 6.5x55 (Krieger, McMillan A2) to scope. Great action to build on. I had a heavy .243 that did around .7moa in its factory CRAPPY stock.

range report

Well, went out to range today. the deerections said to start out on a shoot one, clean for ten shots regimen, then go to shoot two and clean for ten more shots. Followed it (more or less) :) using 180 grain winchester soft points. then got a good zero for the scope. couldnt get that round to group very well 2 inches at 100 yards. Switched over to 165 sst hornady superformance, liked those ALOT better and got decent group at less than 1". Then onto the FGMM 175's, same story with groups right at 1" Im gonna try some FGMM 168's and some 150 grain as well. thought a 1:10 barrel preferred heavy bullets but it really didnt seem to like the 180s too well.

Got my new 308

Nice shooting! Glad you got to try out the new toy in the daytime. Do you reload or plan to? If so you'll probably be able to get the 175-185 grain bullets to shoot better. You also might want to try the 180 grain factory ammo again the next time you go out. It sounds like they were the first ones you tried out of the new gun, and the subsequent ammo you tried shot better... It could just be that the barrel needed to be fouled a bit before the groups tightened up (this is common), so try them again without cleaning that thing!

maybe tomorrow, it did seem to settle down some at the end of my session. More time behind the trigger and some smaller groups and ill start posting pics. And yes I plan to reload, if the powder and primer shortage ever calms down.

Last edited: