• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Got my new Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP MIL/MIL

blurry6

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2008
WA, USA
As stated, I just got my Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP with MRAD illuminated reticule and 0.1-MIL adjustments and I gotta say, I'm impressed! I'm kind of a scope junky having owned several higher-end optics i.e. Premier, USO, Nighforce, Leopold,...etc. and this little PST is a really nice compromise of all the features I wanted at a price point that's hard to beat. 4-16 is a perfect 'all-purpose' magnification range, the 0.1-MIL adjustments are definite and positive, the FFP reticule, while not as crisp and clean as some of the higher-end scopes, provides plenty of varying demarcations for ranging and hold-overs and is thin enough so as not to obstruct the POA on higher magnifications, but just thick enough to be clearly seen while dialed down low. All these features taken together, Vortex has a really nice product here.

However, the final verdict is yet to be delivered. I just slapped it on my .260 Rem and will do some ranging and box testing this weekend. I don't foresee any problems, and if it works well, I just might have to get another one! At under $900.00, you really can't go wrong!

Ry

Re: Got my new Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP MIL/MI

I have been reading " for the money" about the Vortex PST scopes. I really wonder if you could shoot smaller groups with rifles that have $3000 scopes than with the PSTs? I have a fairly accurate 6mm Norma BR. with a 6-24x50mm PST MOA scope with a Custom Vortex Turret that is "dead nuts accurate".

I DO NOT think I could shoot any better with anymore expensive scope and I do not care how more clearer the glass is. And this is all the way out to 1200 yards. If I can hit gongs at 1200 yards the only hinderance was READING the WIND not the scope.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=564977&highlight=

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=574886&highlight=

40gt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 40gt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been reading " for the money" about the Vortex PST scopes. I really wonder if you could shoot smaller groups with rifles that have $3000 scopes than with the PSTs?</div></div>

If you interviewed owners of higher ends optics, you'd probably get two main responses to the question, and neither would have anything to do with size of groups.

There is a contingent that are glass aficionados that would argue that for such a price the glass cannot be good enough. To this I ask, "Good enough for what"?" If you're hunting in low light and cannot see to make the shot and could with a more expensive scope... I can buy that. If you're identifying an enemy or BG in a dark doorway or window and cannot, but could with a more expensive optic... I could buy that too. But to say the PST's glass is worse than Brand X... SO? Does it give you headaches? NO? Can you hit your target? Yes? Drive on.

The other contingent (and I believe the more justified of the two) is asking, "Can it take the abuse of some of the higher end scopes?". Sure, it tracks today... what about 1 yr., 5 yrs.? How does repeated use affect wear and slop in the mechanisms? What happens when the scope is dropped or banged into a trunk lid? Once, twice, thirty times? Will it hold zero?

I would trust my life to my Razor. That thing has been down the road hard a couple of times now and hasn't budged zero. It is literally the first scope on my 300WM that has not been rattled apart. The thing is so tough, I'd not hesitate to keep it under the carseat and use it as a billy club... the PST's? Don't get me wrong... I'm very impressed... for the money. But I do not expect a scope that weighs 22 oz. to be as mechanically robust as one that weighs a pound more. Not that heavy *necessarily* means robust, but in the Razor's case, there's no doubt. I'm pretty sure the same can be said of NF and S&B also.

John

Don't get me wrong on my initial impression of the PST. I wouldn't put it in the class of high-end glass that simply NEEDS to be virtually indestructible - I don't think the PST has the 'robustness' of a Premier, S&B, USO,...etc. and simply can't for the price (less than one-half the $$$ of the above mentioned), but I do think Vortex has nailed-it in regard to the MIX-O-FEATURES: mag-range, reticule design, FFP, matching reticule/adjustments, good glass (not great), tactile knobs, positive clicks, illumination, zero-stop,... it's got it all,... but I wouldn't bet my life on it surviving hard impacts and repeated abuse unscathed. While not a delicate flower, I don't know if I'd wholeheartedly trust it to hold up on an extended tour,... but for range-boys and plinkers, it's just the ticket for those wanting to let their inner Hathcock loose
laugh.gif

Ry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 40gt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been reading " for the money" about the Vortex PST scopes. I really wonder if you could shoot smaller groups with rifles that have $3000 scopes than with the PSTs? I have a fairly accurate 6mm Norma BR. with a 6-24x50mm PST MOA scope with a Custom Vortex Turret that is "dead nuts accurate".

I DO NOT think I could shoot any better with anymore expensive scope and I do not care how more clearer the glass is. And this is all the way out to 1200 yards. If I can hit gongs at 1200 yards the only hinderance was READING the WIND not the scope.
</div></div>

This statement shows your ignorance and how you don't know what you're talking about. First, the point of "$3000" scopes is not to shoot smaller groups. It is to get the utmost quality in every aspect and every part of the scope, which in turn leads to incredible reliability. Scopes are more than just "glass" and clarity. And there is a difference in the big picture when looking at scopes.

This is not a knock against Vortex. I saw my first last weekend. It seems like a very nice scope. What this is is the pointing out of a naive statement.

He posted that in like 4 different threads too

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outdoorsman9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He posted that in like 4 different threads too</div></div>

And I told him to knock it off.