• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Got my SAS!

AJBello

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2008
Salem, OR
Mailed my paperwork mid March and it came back today!
grin.gif
This is my first can... I'm going to try and get to the range in the morning and try it out, very excited. Pic of it on my FN:

DSC_0017-1.jpg

On a related note, anyone have any favorite recipes for 308 subsonic loads?

Re: Got my SAS!

Congratulations! Looks great. Just got mine this week too.

I haven't tried my subsonic loads yet, but reading around, I loaded up a series using 12.5gr Trailboss, win brass, and 220gr Hornady RNSP and worked my way down in 0.5gr increments to 10gr. Plan to try them out this weekend. Just be sure to try them out without the suppressor first to make sure they stabilize and for velocity. Once you get a stable round (no tumbling at 50-100 yards) around 1050fps, you should be good to go.

I got out yesterday morning and shot the can. Again, this is my first one, so I have absolutely nothing to compare it to... but I was impressed. POI shift was exactly 2 MOA straight down. I shot a few groups with it on and off and didn't notice any dramatic or obvious change in accuracy. It looked liked they *may* have tightened up a little with the can, but it's hard to say at this point.

DSC03342.jpg

I shot last night and saw nearly similar results. Around 2.5 MOA straight down. Gotta start over again with my subsonic loads though. 12.5 gr only generated 870 fps and it was questionable if they stabilized. I'll start again at 15 gr and see what happens.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scottishtornado</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your rifle is comming together A.J
Who did you get your can from? Was it from M.L.C behind k-mart on 25th?

Mac </div></div>

Yep, I did the transfer through Mick. I purchased the can from Stacey Blankenship, AKA "Stacey @ AINA" here on the board. He happened to have the can and muzzle brake in stock when I wanted it.

The rifle is indeed coming together nicely. Just finished the paint, TAB sling and suppressor cover are on the way, Eagle drag bag too
grin.gif

On a different note... have you heard anything about them punching out the back side of the hill at ARPC? I seem to remember them tossing around the idea of a 300 yard, then maybe a 600 yard line on the backside, but haven't heard anything lately.
confused.gif

For those of you with other cans, is a 2"-2.5" drop at 100 yds common with your .308 cans? Thanks.

Not really... typically about an inch on most. Some like Surefire and the sr25 can by AAC have less than 1 MOA. The Gemtech Sandstorm ive heard is in the same ballpark as those hovering around 1 MOA. As long as the threads are good then those cans should be around that much run out. Non concentric threads could shift it further. But shift isnt really that much concern as long as you run it with the can on all the time obviously. If you're accuracy suffers then you should raise an eyebrow.

I spoke to mike a while ago about if they had enough room to make a 1000 yard range. He said he was looking at property off the main arpc property that was really close.
He also said that they might make it a 600yrd range at the back of saddle butte but could not confirm it. I think the have been focused on making the bow range.
Noticed your leo, you work for spd or mcso.

Thats a really good looking rifle you have now, need to keep an eyeout for ya down at arpc.

Mac

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scottishtornado</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I spoke to mike a while ago about if they had enough room to make a 1000 yard range. He said he was looking at property off the main arpc property that was really close.
He also said that they might make it a 600yrd range at the back of saddle butte but could not confirm it. I think the have been focused on making the bow range.
Noticed your leo, you work for spd or mcso.

Thats a really good looking rifle you have now, need to keep an eyeout for ya down at arpc.

Mac </div></div>

PM sent...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kiterme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How many rounds are your cans good for before rebuild? </div></div>

Good question... and one I really don't know the answer to. Mine is the stainless can which I've read glowing reviews of, especially durability wise. I don't think I've heard of anyone having a failure with one (although I'm sure someone has somewhere). I know I've seen several reviews with round counts in the 5K-10K range with no issues at all. One of the biggest reasons I went with SAS was Tim's reputation to make things right should you have any issues.

Try EBR Ammo for your subsonics. They wont go to far but they sure impress people when you dont hear anything but the firing pin drop.

As far as how long do they last?
Different manufacturers will say something different every time. I have heard from some guys that as long as you take care of them, clean them and so on that a bolt rifle can will last you a life time. Not saying that if you go out and shoot 1000 rounds a month or year, ya you might see it getting louder after 10-15000 rounds.

On the POI shift, it really varies from gun to gun, barrel to barrel. Barrel threading is a normal variable which causes a "LOT" of issues over the years honestly. Many have seen a barrel which was threaded to spec, and lets just say that many have not passed a gauge when checked later for some odd reason. Biggest desire would be if it does shift it is a realiable shift and it sounds like you are good. On rounds till shot out, good luck but as many will state 10k and if it is much louder, then maybe, but if it works, then keep on shooting. On sub-sonic rounds, if you are a reloader there are several post here on these and if you would like to discuss, call me, have a few rounds of experience as well.

Stacey said it

threading the barrel and hanging a weight on the end of the barrel (the suppressor) , all bets are off, as to what will happen

hence the indexable mounts trend, (surefire, OPS inc, AAC, etc.,) so you can 'tune' the suppressed zero to the unsuppressed zero

barrel time, harmonics, thread change due to ???, all come in to play

as long as it repeatable , or you never take your can off (best option) you are good to go