• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Got my Surgeon RSR action

mike27

Private
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2006
Arkansas, Yellville
I was browsing the Brownells website and saw they are selling the Surgeon actions so I called and they had one RSR left(they call it the Short Round Action) so I ordered it and and got it yesterday. It's sweeeet. I already have my Seekins bottom metal, HS stock, and the Shilen Select Match barrel. I am going to chamber it in 7mm08. I am going to start it next week and should have it done pretty quickly. The action is my Christmas present. Wow what a present.
mike

Re: Got my Surgeon RSR action

Keep us posted Mike, real interested in how your build in that caliber turns out. Will you be doing the work yourself?

Mike can you conpare it to a remmy there is a lot of people here that would like to hear you review.
Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mike27</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I was browsing the Brownells website and saw they are selling the Surgeon actions so I called and they had one RSR left(they call it the Short Round Action) so I ordered it and and got it yesterday. It's sweeeet. I already have my Seekins bottom metal, HS stock, and the Shilen Select Match barrel. I am going to chamber it in 7mm08. I am going to start it next week and should have it done pretty quickly. The action is my Christmas present. Wow what a present.
mike </div></div>

I have held one and it is better than a Remington action in every way. It is really the way to go if, especially when you consider all of the features it offers compared the a stock Remington.

I believe Surgeon found themselves a nice spot in the market with the RSR.
How smooth is bolt lifting, and bolt sliding?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoffels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Adam
how does it compare to the 591 surgeon?
Bill </div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoffels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Adam
how does it compare to the 591 surgeon?
Bill </div></div>

It is just as nice as the 591, it is lighter for sure, if I were to build a hunting rig I would use that action. I would go with a tac rig the 591 is the way to go, it is hard to beat the integrated rail and recoil lug.

I don't think it is fair to compare the rsr to a rem action, it is head and shoulders above a rem. it has a one piece bolt, side bolt release, doesn't need to be trued and has by far the best 20moa rail I have seen. it is pinned front and rear and has a recoil piece that goes into the opening of the reciever. mine is on a 223ai I am building and I would have to say these actions are hard to beat, especially at the new group buy price. I will be ordering at least 1.

for the record i also have a 591 and it is beyond great, smooth, rigid. it does a great job in every way. if i had the money i would only use 591's for everything.

I am not computer savvy enough to do pictures. It took me forever to learn how to email them. I will update this post when I finish the barreling.
Yes, I do all the work myself. Been doing it for a little over seven years now and I love it.Thanks
mike

Mike,
If you want, email me some pics and I'll resize/crop/post them for you. You can use the email address in my profile.

I've got a RWS-built .308 on an RSR. I was really impressed with the plain action when I got it. The pinned recoil and scope rail were very nice. The final product is great too.

Speaking of Surgeon...I got the action without any trigger pins. I emailed Surgeon through their website and a pair of pins were in the mail immediately. I really appreciated that. They are good people.

CHRIS

i have never had a 591 but have several RSR's. i think people sometimes equate cost with quality. i find it real hard to believe that a better rifle can be built on a 591 than an RSR. i dont really know how you might go about proving it within reason but i believe it to be true. everyone loves stuff that is overbuilt but if you abuse your equipment enough to hurt the rail or recoil lug on the RSR, i dont think the 591 would fair much better. i prefer to take care of my equipment and i havnt found anything that fits my needs as well as an RSR.

chuck