• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Got my Thunderbeast 30P

cubewarrior

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2007
Dallas, TX
I finally shot my Thunderbeast 30P can on my AE 308 and thought I would post some quick impressions:

1) You could fire it without hearing protection. A spotter could sit right beside the gun without ears as well--the rifle sounds like a 10/22 being fired with kind of a springy noise.
2) Recoil push was reduced below the level of a .223. Also, the recoil was drawn out more into a steadier "push" than an instanteous recoil. Its hard to describe, but you feel the recoil being dissipated through the can. Effect was that it was *much* easier to stay on target through recoil compared to a non-braked .308.
3) After about 10 rounds, the can does become uncomfortable to the touch.
4) Threading was quite firm, and it didn't loosen on firing.
5) Strangely, my POI went up .2 Mil. I fired, then unscrewed, then remounted and fired-- POI was repeatable in this limited test.
6) Fit and finish were superb.
7) We didn't have a lot of time to fire, but I managed to get 15 rounds into .5" when firing a group. The wind was pushing my light target around, and the spread was horizontal. So, I'm confident that the suppressor had no adverse effect on accuracy.

Needless to say, I'm very happy.

Re: Got my Thunderbeast 30P

That's good to hear. I'm waiting on a .223P. My dealer has it and I'm chomping at the bit to get the call from him. I need to get my .22-250 threaded, but it'll probably spend most of its time on my ARs. I talked to Shane at TBA, pretty cool guy. Took time out of his day to chat with me. I feel a .30P will be my next one, I could use a new can for my .300WM. It's lighter and probably better built than my HVT. I'm excited about getting mine, just wish I could forget about it for a while.

Glad you like it! Shane and I were down in New Mexico shooting this weekend. As for the heat, they turn sound into heat energy and a trade-off of light weight is increased temperatures. Those that have seen my personal 30P know that it's been pounded pretty hard and gotten extremely hot. Too hot to grab is OK-- just be careful to not burn yourself. If you start to burn/melt the paint, let it cool.

Also, to avoid confusion, it's probably better to abbreviate our name "TBAC"-- there's already a TBA (Texas Brigade Armory).

thanks
Zak

From the website for the 30P Threads: 5/8-24 (US standard)

If I get a local smith to thread a barrel how long should the threads be in length?

Jerry

Just an update, we have brand new, redesigned .30 and .338 caliber cans in the 30P-1 and 338P-1. These are quieter than the original 2008 version. Full specs on the web site.

thanks
-z

Met with an A.J. at the VHA jamboree and he had several Thunderbeast cans. Got to listen to and shoot them on a fireball and a .260. Great sound and recoil reduction.

Doh!

I've not yet fired the 30P I just got transferred!

But anxiously looking forward to it.