• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Got my Vectronix Terrapin & compared it t my Swaro

elmerdeer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2008
Canada, quebec
I just recieved the Terrapin rangefinder from my Distributor that I had ordered a few weeks ago, so I couldnt wait and had to test it out against my Swaro rangefinder, so I started ranging buildings, lamps on posts about 3'x3' at the airport and the radar (looks like a big golf ball) Ok the lamps I was ranging were from 1500m to 2500m the biuldings were 1200m-2500m and the radar golf ball was 3275meters, guess what the Terrapin ranged everything without a hitch I pointed and it gave me a reading and did it consistently and repeatedly, my Swaro on the hand could not pick up the lamps at 1600yards but did get a few buildings at about 1900yards, but on small objects and distance the terrapin just blew the swaro away. There was no comparison.
The glass is great at 5x, it has an illuminated reticle cross hair with mil graduations and with a super small aiming circle.
I thought the 5x zoom would be a little weak as far as power goes compared to the Swaro 8x but actually the glass is so good I dont think it makes a difference.
Tommorow and this weekend i will be testing both units out on deer at 1000yards and will post my results.
So far this unit is probably the best rangefinder for longrange hunting without going much over 2k.
Elmer

Re: Got my Vectronix Terrapin & compared it t my Swaro

I am definitely interested in how your new range finder performs , did you get a chance to get it out into the field yet ?

Is there anywhere in the US to get the Vectronix rangefinder?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbateman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am definitely interested in how your new range finder performs , did you get a chance to get it out into the field yet ?</div></div>
No havent got out to range deer yet its been pouring rain,but in the next day or 2 I should get a chance to try it out on deer at 1000yards on flat ground. I will compare it to my Swaro and will use tripods. Will post my findings.
Elmer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbateman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am definitely interested in how your new range finder performs , did you get a chance to get it out into the field yet ?</div></div>
I was out today here is a quick review.

Well I was out ranging today in on off rainy conditions, T-storms were moving in and out of my hunting spots. So I was driving around looking for deer to range that were farther than 500yards, found a few at 800yards and started to range them with my 2 rangefinders. As far as ranging goes the Terrapin is very good at what it does, I was ranging deer with ease at 800yards as long as I had a little support on my elbows(all ranging was done from my car seat).
I did not find any deer at 1000yards but from what I've seen from this unit it wont have a problem with that.
The Swaro held its own but that aiming circle is way to big compared to the
Terrapin and it takes longer to give the reading, also the flat ground gave me false readings a few times cause the beam was hitting things on its way there.
As far as how far the 2 units ranged the swaro because of the rainy conditions would not give me ranges on treelines that were more that 1700yards, usually I could and have gotten 1995yards on treelines at dusk.
The Terrapin gave a treeline reading at 3575yards consistently and it varied depending on where in the treeline I aimed at, also on homes over 2400yards NP, and on tops of pine trees 1950yards. I also ranged earth mounds that were dark in colour there was one in particular that was 989 yards away its size is about 3ft high and 3-4ft wide the Swaro could not pick that up no matter how many times I tried, the Terrapin was picking them up Np, it would aslo pick up the bigger earth mounds at much farther distances.
All in all I am very happy with the way this unit performs its quick, has good glass,and ranges further than I will probably ever need!
Elmer

i would be interested in the 05 as a back up "if" it was made to work with the RS-232 interface.

Thanks for the update I will be looking for a good range finder in the not to distant future .

Keep us posted on how it performs , sounds like it is very good unit .

Yes thanks for getting back to us, sounds better than what was expected, any pics? or optional features that was available?

so jealous. yes, what did it cost you???

his other thread said 2250 canadien, so about 2225 usd after tax and shipping

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That would be fantastic ... $2225 and I am definitely in on that.

Specs... can you take a photo of the box specs, manual, anything?

edit: here is the brochure http://www.vectronix.ch/userupload/3011_111013_Vec_TERRAPIN_lr.pdf</div></div>
I was out ranging again with both units, swaro and Terrapin.
I was on a country road and started ranging the tops of the wooden poles that have electric wires running from house to house, they are nothing big on the top part that has a wooden horizontal beam thats about 5'wide x 1', the terrapin ranged the tops of the poles starting at distances of 900yards and I ranged all the way down the road to 1975 yards where the poles stopped, the terrapin did not miss any of the poles, it ranged them consistently and repeatedly giving me the same readings over and over.
I tried the same ranging test with the Swaro and after the first pole which it picked up failed with all the following poles it would not give me any readings on small objects of that size and that type of material (wood and brown in colour). All my testing was done leaning my elbows on my car not the most solid postision. The terrapin also gives me the readings fast much faster than the Swaro. Another plus is the size of the aiming circle its way smaller than the Swaro's which helps in the aiming.
So out to practical ranges for longrange hunting and or target shooting this gadget is awesome,I used to like the Swaro but theres no comparison, its not in the same class!
Its comes in a black pouch with batteries and a small manual thats in the pouch.
Features are, it can give you 3 distances on the 3d feature, meaning you range an animal and there is something in front of it like bushes and a treeline further behind the animal you will get the 3 readings 1st,2nd,3rd 2nd being the animal.
It also has something called gate which means that you can set it to only start ranging after a certain distance so in effect it blocks a certain amount of distance you dont want to pick up.
It also has a night mode.
As far as pics the pdf file that cali tz posted is exactly what you see and get.
Elmer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you post a picture of it and the Swaro side by side for a size comparison ? thanks

and it does read in Yards too ?</div></div>
Check your email I just sent you pics of a side by side comparison to the swaro I just havent figured out how to post them.
Yes it reads in yards, meters and feet.
Elmer

this unit is definitely next on my purchase list.

Elmerdeer, where to buy in the USA... you talk directly with Vectronix USA??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this unit is definitely next on my purchase list.

Elmerdeer, where to buy in the USA... you talk directly with Vectronix USA??</div></div>
I bought mine in Canada, Vectronix USA should have then now.
elmer

here are your pictures...

DSCN3813.JPG

DSCN3814.JPG

DSCN3815.JPG

DSCN38161.JPG

DSCN3817.JPG

How far does it range out to?

is there anything else provided by this Terrapin or only range?

Azimuth? Slope??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is there anything else provided by this Terrapin or only range?

Azimuth? Slope??</div></div>

No I havent seen that on its menu. Its seems that its only range.
Elmer

ok, thanks. well azimuth is easy enough with compass. Question is how to get slope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok, thanks. well azimuth is easy enough with compass. Question is how to get slope. </div></div>

Your smartphone.

Are these available from a distributor or does one have to buy direct from Vectronix?

If your in the US I'd guess your either going to buy from the Potomac Group or Vectronix Direct. As those are the only two to my knowledge who sell in the US at the moment.

Re smartphone used as a level, who knows how accurate that is, plus the sighting with a smartphone would be pretty clumsy. Looking into it a bit, one can buy a combo compass/inclinometer from Suunto for $100 that does both pretty well. That along with this Terrapin would dial a good shooter to within 1 MOA for sure of center mass for almost any scenario, wind notwithstanding.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Re smartphone used as a level, who knows how accurate that is, plus the sighting with a smartphone would be pretty clumsy. Looking into it a bit, one can buy a combo compass/inclinometer from Suunto for $100 that does both pretty well. That along with this Terrapin would dial a good shooter to within 1 MOA for sure of center mass for almost any scenario, wind notwithstanding. </div></div>

The stuff on the phones are very accurate.

just installed a level app on my droid... and yes it is definitely better than guessing, but it's clumsy to use because you have to use a 'hold' softbutton to freeze the reading but u can't see where you are touching because you are sighting across the screen face. But better than nothing.

The Suunto is nice because you look thru the optics at your target and read the angle at the same time.

So. How many people would be interested in getting a Terrapin if I became a dealer. PM and I will give you a cost estimate.

Per Lowlights approval....

<span style="font-weight: bold">Pricing on the PLRF05 from Potomac River Group is $1,995</span>

Vectronix PLRF05 (Terrapin) Pocket Laser Range Finder. Rugged, lightweight
aluminum housing; range out to 2400 meters; operating capability in a wide
variety of environmental conditions. 7000 measurements on two CR 123 lithium
batteries.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Pricing on the PLRF25C is $7,950</span>

Vectronix PLRF25C Pocket Laser Range Finder, integrated digital magnetic
compass, range 5m to 4000m, standard interface: RS232

Alina Hussey
[email protected]
Contract Support Administrator
POTOMAC RIVER GROUP LLC
801 Sycolin Rd, STE 210
Leesburg, VA 20175
703-771-3003

this is getting very interesting... can someone confirm the feature set, including the capability to do slope or not? The pdf on Vectronix website is not very descriptive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this is getting very interesting... can someone confirm the feature set, including the capability to do slope or not? The pdf on Vectronix website is not very descriptive. </div></div>

email sent

something I do see in the PLRF05 and the Leica CRF1600 is that they basically have the same Beam Divergence....

<span style="font-weight: bold">the PLRF05 has divergence of :</span>

Beam divergence, typical 0.4 x 2.4 mil

<span style="font-weight: bold">the CRF 1600 is :</span>

approx. 0.5 x 2.5 mrad
Laser beam divergence

thank Sendero, got the brochure, very helpful.

Re beam divergence, that is interesting. Optics on send and receive for the laser pulse is important. But I am equally interested on how good the signal processing is for the Time of Flight engine. What a good LRF can do is pick up the receiving photons well and discriminate those from ambient light, which is non trivial, and then do an accurate and averaged time of flight measurement. I would guess that's what separates Vectronix from Bushnell/Leica and makes it able to range farther with basically the same transmit beam divergence.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this would be one to have for the bag-o-goodies.....
</div></div>

Please get one Hugh and that way you can "loan" it to me now and then...
wink.gif

Are these going to be like HD TVs? The price is going to continue to go down while the technology improves? Just got to wait it out. tick.tick.tick...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowe Left</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this would be one to have for the bag-o-goodies.....
</div></div>

Please get one Hugh and that way you can "loan" it to me now and then...
wink.gif

Are these going to be like HD TVs? The price is going to continue to go down while the technology improves? Just got to wait it out. tick.tick.tick... </div></div>

Ya I can tell you that ain't gonna happen. If anything the price is going to go up.

I think the price will come down, but slowly. Indeed the price has already come down, that's why we're so interested. But I doubt PRLFs with this level of performance will be like less than $1000 anytime soon. Maybe in 5 years or so.

Question that I have is, For 1995 for the Terrapin, why not think about the PLF 10 for 3700 and not look back? I know it is more money. At this point you are in for a penny or in for a pound.Then you know you got enough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got a pdf from PRG and it looks like the Terrapin will do slope.</div></div>
Sendero man my manual says on the main feature for ranging (slope distance) I do not know what that means, can you or someone explain what slope distance translates too?
Thanks
Elmer

Slope distance provides a compensated distance based on degree of incline or decline.

This means when you are aiming at a target that's uphill or downhill, the slope will adjust the yardage reading for the angle and give the corrected distance to it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Slope distance provides a compensated distance based on degree of incline or decline.

This means when you are aiming at a target that's uphill or downhill, the slope will adjust the yardage reading for the angle and give the corrected distance to it. </div></div>

Very nice... this is definitely my next purchase.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">something I do see in the PLRF05 and the Leica CRF1600 is that they basically have the same Beam Divergence....

approx. 0.5 x 2.5 mrad
Laser beam divergence </div></div>

PLRF15
0.5 X 2.0mils

I know the PLRF10 has a tighter divergence, is it worth almost twice the money? I think you need a 10C to work (communicate) with a recon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">something I do see in the PLRF05 and the Leica CRF1600 is that they basically have the same Beam Divergence....

approx. 0.5 x 2.5 mrad
Laser beam divergence </div></div>

Yes the beam is approx the same, but this unit ranges much farther in the bad conditions than the Leica can on its best days.
Elmer

Finally got my hands on and tested out a PRLF-10 today... it's data compared very well to my Bushnell Elite 1500, and I have to say the Bushie was working well today for some unknown reason, maybe a fresh battery. But it's clear the Vectronix stuff is a whole nother level or two above and beyond Bushnell. THe PRLF 10 seemed like it could range anything, and it's reticle definitely lets you zero in on what you actually want accurate range to. Very nice product.