• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Got myself a new hunting rifle, need glass!

medbill

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2003
www.america4rmarines.org
Hey Dudes,
Bought an old American made single action rifle called a Wickliffe in .243 cal. Action is built like a tank not my ideal caliber but what can ya do.

The caliber is new to me and I hear these shoot 80 grain bullets the best. Whats a good brand hunting ammo for deer and yotes?

Who has the best prices on scopes these days, its been years since I bought glass and I'd like to buy American. Those new reticles (varmint and B&C) from Leupold look pretty interesting.

Thanks for any advice, I'll try to get some pics up if anyone is interested in single shots.

Thanks guys,

B

Re: Got myself a new hunting rifle, need glass!

Personally, I like http://swfa.com/
Bought a number of items from them. They have 110% price guarantee.

Just my 2 cents.

243 is about ideal for deer and coyotes. Plenty of killing power with proper shot placement and very little recoil. You will love it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ccoker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am a big fan of the Trijicon Accupoint series for hunting
</div></div>

They look pretty sweet but I want to keep it around and or under 500 bucks.

Billy,

take a look at Nikon's line of scopes as well. The Buckmasters are pretty cheap and work pretty damn good. You can also go up a notch and get into their Monarch series, (Better glass) and still stay under budget.

There are several vendors here in the hide that sell them, give one a try.

Good luck,

-Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BillyLo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-4-12x40-pa-riflescope-dead-hold-bdc-reticle/reticle

Hey what do you guys think of this scope, anyone using a Vortex for hunting? </div></div>

I would recomend a Vortex Viper with a 50mm for hunting. Used one this year with no problems.
P1010773.jpg

Thinking of trying the Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 this comming year myself. I've been using a NF but with a new build I'm planning think I'll try something different. Gonna get something lighter than my standard 14lb. deer slayer with the brick on top.
grin.gif

Also don't rule out a used 1" tube Leupold Vari-x III...They have great glass and draw in plenty of light(In my opinion). You can them quite easily for around $400 give or take depending on condition, magnification... Also you can find some sweet older Redfield scopes for about $150 or less and they will work sweet.. You don't always have to buy new to get a sweet hunting scope......This would also fit the bill.....SmokeRolls

The accupoints are great for hunting, and if you look around, you just may be able to find one in your price range. I think I picked mine up used for 550.00, in new condition and without much looking around at all.